LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
What did you do to prep the engine cover from the Infiniti car, or the alignment of attachment to the intake plenum or wherever? Just sand and paint? What about the rest of the engine bay plastic?I was thinking about doing that for a while before I read this post.......

Also did you ever think about doing the twin turbo instead of the supercharger? Would you have made more power with the TT? What about now that you doing the 4.0 swap?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I sanded and painted the cover when I painted the car the first time. I've since painted it 3 times since then? It uses brackets and bolts that an old forum member used to make back in the day. These brackets are not all that great and I actually broke one of the connecting points trying to make it straight and sit flush. I've currently actually working on changing this up as well. Once its done I should be able to pop it off and on as it was stock. BUT yes sand an paint/clear. Nothing else really needed.

This what the engine cover currently looks like but like i said I broke it a little trying to line the new mounts up with the cover's existing mounting holes. Ill be fixing this by using JB weld and making a new mount location. Ill probabbly keep it the same color scheme tho.

This is the brackets with the new mounts on the upper intake

Unfortunately not a lot of aftermarket mods available for this car. NOTHING let me repeat nothing has ever been plug and play. I've had this car for a few years and modded it as I went. Im not trying to be the fastest or I do a little weight reduction and get rid of the audio equipment. I did how ever choose to go with the supercharger at the time due to wanting that instant power that the supercharger provides. In the long run it was just a choice.

I'm doing the stroker build now because I was taking the exhaust off to weld in a bung hole for AFR gauge. While I was down there I noticed I had a hairline crack in the in the side of the passenger converters. Might have not been straight at one time or another. Either way that has been fixed. (Long story make short... Exhaust lead to cams, cams lead to heads, heads lead to swapping out the engine block for a 4.0L lol...)

Here you can see my current exhaust setup. Nothing crazy just 2.5" catback, x-pipe, flowmaster super 44's with 4" slanted baffled tips.

Welded in a O2 sensor for the AFR wideband. Also fixed a couple leaks while I was at it.

AND then I found the crack that I need to fix lol. Its right under the flange.

Ah good info...I might make something like that bracket...doesn't look too complicated

Good to know about the paint as well

Also I figured that about the "not wanting to be the fastest", still I feel like 14s are decent for a 3.5 modded like yours

Finally, I believe I have the same cracks on my exhausts... Mine whistles like a supercharger underneath when cold but stops after warming up to normal, I wasn't sure where it was coming from but I'll keep an eye out on those when I change out my exhaust system soon, probably gonna do the dual sort of like yours

Got any sound of your exhaust system? I thought about flowmaster...but I dunno

·
Registered
867 Posts
Defiantly. I have a flat bar here at work. I plan on double checking them for sure.

Here is a small little update on the engine cover. I took off the front two mounting legs and made new ones using the Hemi cover connectors. Ill be able to pop it off and with ease. Should make oil changes a little bit nicer. Here is how it looked before I started messing with it.

Here are some old pictures of the cover installed. This was before I rebuilt the supercharger.

The brackets used to mount in this fashion. (Notice the screws on the ends?? These used to hold down the engine cove with washers and nuts. )

These are the new mounts Im making fit the cover.

I cut off the front legs for more hood clearance as well as filled in the V6 3.5L area with JB weld.

Here you can see here I sanded the front passenger side post. "4.0 Stroker" will be added to this engine cover.

I'll have to keep that in mind when it finally warms up to stay outside for long enough to do that to mine...good work, wonder how much jbweld you've used on that thing now lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts