LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I had previously left a post about possibly upgrading an HK system. Never mind on that, I've just got a GT that came with base level audio. Totally redoing it.)

So, here is the parts list and quote for labor for the system I'm getting:

Parts:
Hybrid Audio U69S 6x9" midbass
$400.00​
AudioFrog GB25 2.5" Mid
$425.00​
AudioFrog GB15 1.5" Tweeters
$425.00​
Adire Braham MK 2.5 12" subwoofer
$500.00​
Kenwood DNX1007XR Headunit
$1,500.00​
Metra 95-6552B Dash and Wiring Kit
$500.00​
Helix DSP.3 S
$650.00​
Helix Conductor
$150.00​
Mosconi Pro 2/10 2-chanel amp for midbass
$1,100.00​
Mosconi Pro 4/10 4-chanel amp for mids/tweets
$1,100.00​
Helix M One X 1000 watt subwoofer amp
$650.00​
Black Hole Tiles Sound Deadening Kit
$200.00​
Resonix CLD Sound Deading Mats Box
$330.00​
Resonix 7mm Sound Deadening Foam Box
$180.00​
Wiring, Fuse Holder, Distribution
$275.00​
Parts Total:
$8,385.00​
Labor
Pillars for Tweeters
$1,100.00​
Dash Speaker
$175.00​
Front door deadening
$750.00​
Deaden rear deck
$275.00​
Subbox
$350.00​
Rear stealth panel
$450.00​
Amp rack
$350.00​
Install headunit
$350.00​
Wire amps and DSP
$300.00​
Tuning
$250.00​
Conductor install
$150.00​
Labor Total:
$4,500.00​
Complete total:
$12,885.00​

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
146 Posts
Sum bitch man.....glad I'm ok with how most of the stock systems sound these days. That's a good used car price right there. :oops:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Be aware, replacing Uconnect will make you lose all the functionality not replicated on the Kenwood H/U. Most people decide to put a DSP behind Uconnect to keep stock functionality, but improve SQ.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I know that just hooking a DSP to the UConnect is a common option. But I like this better. And the Metra dash hit is awesome. It retains almost everything and moves all the controls that are normally in the middle of the dash to where the stock display is. It includes its own display, smaller than the stock display, with buttons on the side. Thus, basically where the stock display is, becomes dedicated to replacing most stock controls.

I just went to the Metra site to see if there was anything it doesn’t support. Their page says these limitations:

NOTE:

• Does not retain sound from Driver Convenience Group
  • Track and launch control features from span class=“caps”>SRT Package will be lost.

I’m not sure what it means about the sound from Driver Convenience Group. Maybe chimes or something? But I don’t have that. And I don’t have launch control. So, I think I’m good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a few pictures of the progress on the project. Still a long way to go. I wound up switching to Morel instead of AudioFrog for the mids and tweets. My installer coincidentally just finished another Charger before me with Morels, and I liked what I heard. Now, the thing is, he said the Morel's mid-range is slightly bigger than the dash location fits well. For the other Charger, he made replacement grills that look very similar to the stock grills but gave them the slight extra room needed. But on mine, we are doing something a bit fancier. He built up the dash piece to hold the speakers and will use the Morel's grill. Check out the dash piece. For the tweeters on the pillars, he had built them up, but they are not yet wrapped with vinyl. After wrapping, they will look like they came that way. The doors have a similar product to Dynamat. He is using another brand, Resonix. Basically, Resonix is thicker than Dynamat so it is supposed to work better. The black tiles are called Black Hole Tiles, also by Resonix. Their purpose is to both absorb road noise, and to absorb the backwards emitted sound from the back of the speakers.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Bicycle part Tool Hand tool Automotive design Wood

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like insane markup imo. Hope you'll be happy with what sounds like someone else's project
He said that his contracts say that he has to charge full retail for the products. But he says he charges more for labor if someone brings their own equipment to install. I know his install labor is not cheap, but since I can't do this myself and I'm tired of paying too much to half-ass shops, I decided to go for about the best. I will post some more pictures momentarily...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've never seen that before.....so you basically swapped the radio and HVAC controls around?
What was the purpose of that?

Also, it kind of looks like you'd smash your hand into the knob/radio when reaching for the shifter. No?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are talking about this picture. It does look pretty close to the shifter. I didn't think it would be that close. I guess I will see how close it is in person. I have a Ford Edge with a rotary shifter, which would be a better match. But it's not like a standard where I would be constantly shifting or anything. Still, it does look annoyingly close now that you mention it. Basically, the purpose is so that you can put in basically any head unit you want, and not lose any of the stock controls, UConnect etc. I know the more conventional way to upgrade the sound in a Charger is to use an interface kit, and I considered going that route. But wasn't completely happy with the Dodge audio controls and user interface.

The dash kit is the Metra 95-6552B and the head unit is a Kenwood DNX1007XR. The brains of the head unit is conventional double-din, with the oversized floating display. It is adjustable a little bit, so I might can see if I can get it moved a bit further from the shifter. I have the same head unit in my Mazdaspeed, with a Metra kit for it as well. The head unit is about the best of the market. And the display is nice. But its size isn't always convenient. In my Mazda, the Kenwood partially blocks access to the A/C controls. And it is a standard and I do occasionally bump a button or the screen when reaching for the shifter.

There are somewhat similar units by Alpine and Pioneer with 9" displays, which maybe I should have picked instead, but I really liked the Kenwood.

Vehicle Gear shift Car Radio Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You are talking about this picture. It does look pretty close to the shifter. I didn't think it would be that close. I guess I will see how close it is in person. I have a Ford Edge with a rotary shifter, which would be a better match. But it's not like a standard where I would be constantly shifting or anything. Still, it does look annoyingly close now that you mention it. Basically, the purpose is so that you can put in basically any head unit you want, and not lose any of the stock controls, UConnect etc. I know the more conventional way to upgrade the sound in a Charger is to use an interface kit, and I considered going that route. But wasn't completely happy with the Dodge audio controls and user interface.

The dash kit is the Metra 95-6552B and the head unit is a Kenwood DNX1007XR. The brains of the head unit is conventional double-din, with the oversized floating display. It is adjustable a little bit, so I might can see if I can get it moved a bit further from the shifter. I have the same head unit in my Mazdaspeed, with a Metra kit for it as well. The head unit is about the best of the market. And the display is nice. But its size isn't always convenient. In my Mazda, the Kenwood partially blocks access to the A/C controls. And it is a standard and I do occasionally bump a button or the screen when reaching for the shifter.

There are somewhat similar units by Alpine and Pioneer with 9" displays, which maybe I should have picked instead, but I really liked the Kenwood.

View attachment 91611
Yeah, in that pic, it looked really close.

A solution though, possibly: use the rotary shifter from the Chrysler 300 (should be a direct swap?). It'll give you better access to the radio and might even look better too.
Just an idea ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the car yesterday, certainly sounds great. Maybe I spent a tad too much… :)

The shifter is very close, when in park. So, I have to adjust how I hold my hand when I take it out of park or put it into park. A bit annoying, but, I think I can get used to it. I asked the installer if he could push the whole unit in deeper (that’s what she said…). Anyway, he said no, it can’t go any deeper. (That’s what I said…). He said that with the wires in the back of the head unit, he can’t push it in any further.

As far as swapping for a rotary shifter, that’s an interesting idea. I googled it, and it seems people want to do the reverse, put a stick shifter in place of a rotary. But I didn’t see anybody going from a stick to a rotary. I saw some places that seemed to indicate some versions of Chargers had the rotary, at least some years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts