LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Formerly HLY CRAP
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Mopar KW's (Var.1) installed about 5000 miles ago. I wanted to lower the car and decided to go that route. Had to raise it a little higher than the initial setup due to some front tire rubbing.

I like the look of the stance and I can take expressway on and off ramps 15 mph faster than I could before, BUT, the everyday ride is not that impressive. The roads in Ohio are not that great and sometimes the ride is annoyingly bumpy. I drove my wife's '97 STS (86,000 miles) the other day and I forgot what a smooth ride should feel like.

This is not a KW bash. Just my personal evaluation. I know a lot of you have KW's on your wish list. but if I had to do it over again, I would go with air suspension. I drive about 25,000 miles a year, so down the road, the air suspension will still be an available option.

At $1800 for parts, installation and alignment, I don't think I got the biggest bang for the buck that I could have.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
From what I have gleaned from the SRT suspension... it is more harsh than the KW over bad roads...

I think thats just the price to pay for a sleek looking, road hugging vehicle...

·
2 Fast, not that Furious
2,586 Posts
Thanks for the review, I think you just solidified my choice for the v2 over the v1. Dampening adjustments sound necessary... While I don't mind a harsh ride for better performance, the ladies do. Gotta keep them happy. :D

·
Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late
6,193 Posts
My KW V2's are set pretty firm all the time, it's worth a little harsh feeling on bumps for the cornering.
I think I will appreciate the cornering even more with the Hotchkiss bars installed.
The ride on the KW V2's much improved by backing them off even 3/4 turns. I can adjust both the front and rears on my Magnum.
I have a bit of rake, probably going to lower the rear another 1/4" when Made Motorsports(Fatchance) installs the Hotchkiss Bars.

·
High Power Junkie
16,628 Posts
MAGNUM8R said:
My KW V2's are set pretty firm all the time, it's worth a little harsh feeling on bumps for the cornering.
I think I will appreciate the cornering even more with the Hotchkiss bars installed.
The ride on the KW V2's much improved by backing them off even 3/4 turns. I can adjust both the front and rears on my Magnum.
I have a bit of rake, probably going to lower the rear another 1/4" when Made Motorsports(Fatchance) installs the Hotchkiss Bars.
'8R, when you say back them off, do you mean tighten them down (clockwise), then relax off (counter-clockwise) 3/4 turn? I know stupid question, just want to be clear.

·
6,193 Posts
Jason, back 'em off:
righty tighty, left loosey!!!

Counter clockwise opens the valves to soften the ride.
I always start by gently closing the valve all the way, do not get agressive at the end, you can damage the seat.

·
High Power Junkie
16,628 Posts
MAGNUM8R said:
Jason, back 'em off:
righty tighty, left loosey!!!

Counter clockwise opens the valves to soften the ride.
I always start by gently closing the valve all the way, do not get agressive at the end, you can damage the seat.
Yepyep! Me thought so. Thanks '8R! :rock:

·
Formerly HLY CRAP
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rev.Hammer said:
Pretty good eval... are you considering changing things out?
Probably going to wait until 75,000 miles or so and then consider the air bags.

Although, last night, leaving a restaurant with my wife and friends a guy about 35 holds the exit door open and says "Let me get that for you, Oldtimer!" Jeez, I guess I'm just growing old and not growing up.

·
6,193 Posts
Oldtimer?? Aint' them fightin' words??

·
Formerly HLY CRAP
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought a term like that was reserved for someone like Gabby Hayes.

·
I'm not speeding......I'm qualifying
5,266 Posts
V-2's are adjustable to "soften" the harsh ride. I set mine at the recommended setting and love them. Adjusted them in and out a bit, but went right back to the recommended setting. Car handles much better. I didn't get the V-1's because they were not adjustable. I paid about the same for my V-2's as HC paid for his V-1's. Now if Hotchkis would make a sway bar kit for the AWD's, I'd be set. My 2 cents worth.

·
LX Newbie
8 Posts
hello from Hawaii

nick_danger said:
Thanks for the review, I think you just solidified my choice for the v2 over the v1. Dampening adjustments sound necessary... While I don't mind a harsh ride for better performance, the ladies do. Gotta keep them happy. :D
OK I have air bags on my 300C and ists my wifes I talked her in to the bags saying that the ride is going to be great, uh I was wrong its to bouncy and she dosent like it so now I have to find a way to get a better ride so that she'll drive it again she doesnt like to drive it and just bears riding in it. I have heard that the KW Struts and Shocks has a great ride I know its costly but I'll pay anything to make her happy with her car again. Thanks for your help on this Aloha Seth&Carol

·
Alter ego of MyMaggieMae...
11,785 Posts
HLY CRAP said:
This is not a KW bash. Just my personal evaluation. I know a lot of you have KW's on your wish list. but if I had to do it over again, I would go with air suspension. I drive about 25,000 miles a year, so down the road, the air suspension will still be an available option.
I'm curious... have you driven a Magnum with air suspension to compare the difference? I've never been in a Magnum with the KW's, so I have no reference for comparison, but I can say for certain that air suspension on a Magnum does not give you the same "soft ride" as stock suspension.

The cornering improvement is fantastic, and I love being able to adjust the height as needed (as well as drop it when stopped). But, there are sacrifices in ride quality as well. For me, the sacrifice is worth it. My wife can feel the difference, and while it's not too bad for her, she would not have made that tradeoff (of course, she's also not into cornering like I am!).

·
~~~~~~~~~
962 Posts
I have been driving the KW V2's for about 3 months on my 300c.

Since I bought my car 2 years ago, I have always disliked the 300c ride. Too much road shock is transmitted to the cabin, and the car is too bouncy over humps and bumps. Car also wanders on highways and does not keep a straight line.

I first purchased 20" rims on 255/45 tires, which eliminated the highway wandering and slightly reduced the bouncy ride over humps/bumps.
I then put on Hotchkiss sways. Was disappointed as I didn't notice much improvement/change under normal daily driving.

Then I got the KW V2's. Ride is now stiffer than stock, which is not to my liking. Every little road imperfection is felt in the seat of the pants.
But the handling is incredible and very sporty. The great thing about the KW's is the bouncy ride has been totally eliminated. When driving over humps/bumps, I am no longer tossed out of my seat. The car quickly settles with little drama. I have tried many different damper adjustments and currently have the fronts open 1.5 turns, and the rears open 2.0.
I don't notice a lot of difference in ride with the different damper adjustments, from almost full open to almost full closed. I think the real advantage of the damper adjusters is over time the shocks/springs will soften/loosen-up and the dampers will be able to tighten-up the ride again.
So I have concluded there is nothing that can be done to entirely "fix" the 300c ride. Our cars have a lot of positive caster. I have read that a lot of positive caster causes a lot of road shock to be transferred to the cabin. I believe this excessive positive caster is the reason the ride is not ideal and difficult to fix/change.
If I had to do it again, I would still get the KW's. I really enjoy the handling, even though the ride is a little rougher than I hoped for. While I didn't get the KW's to lower the car, the car now looks so much better lowered.

·
rest in peace dad
15,811 Posts
i know you!!! lol i dont have that problem, only if I am at max... nice meetin up with u. of course I have the kw struts on as well!!!
kalos C said:
OK I have air bags on my 300C and ists my wifes I talked her in to the bags saying that the ride is going to be great, uh I was wrong its to bouncy and she dosent like it so now I have to find a way to get a better ride so that she'll drive it again she doesnt like to drive it and just bears riding in it. I have heard that the KW Struts and Shocks has a great ride I know its costly but I'll pay anything to make her happy with her car again. Thanks for your help on this Aloha Seth&Carol

·
LX Newbie
57 Posts
bags or kws

Is there a big difference in ride between airbags with KW's and airbags with stock struts? I'm still debating between the two, and I'm wondering if I should just do the KW's first and add the bags later or just go ahead and do the bags. Any opinions or suggestions from those who have experienced both?? Thanks

·
6,193 Posts
I have had the KW V2's on for about 5 months and 15K miles.
The ride improves drastically with higher speeds.
The low speed ride, say 15 mph in traffic with sectioned concrete freeways is, well, pretty up and down!! You can feel and see the hood raising and lowering over each transistion, kinda like hitting little waves in a small boat.
The cornering is unreal, I love carving max G left turns when some idiot is on my ass at an intersection. I have seen a couple all but lose it trying to stay there!!
I really look forward to getting the Hotchkiss vars installed, gotta have 'em before Willow Springs!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.