LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ITSGOT1
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there has been some discussion reference "doggy" cars, I have just started to notice a few things about mine over the past month.

I used to be able to do burnouts at will, then I noticed if I had 4 people in the car it wouldn't do it. (I assumed the additional weight) Then with 2 people it wouldn't, now with just me in the vehicle it won't do it.

Yes, I know it is HOT outside, BUT!!!!

I cannot do a burnout, period! Early morning, late night, anytime at all. ESP OFF, I try to power brake and at full throttle, the engine just dogs down and almost dies.

Early this am I found a puddle in a parking lot and decided that maybe with some "lube" the tires would break loose. Again, engine dogs down and almost dies. I finally got them to break loose and not much after I hit dry pavement engine dogged and actually died. Had to restart, noticed after restart that my ESP OFF notification/light was still on, did not have to turn it off.

The only major mods I have done are: Mopar CAI (which I seriously think made me lose some lowend torque) and Zoomers Catback Exhaust.

I have been driving the car like a madman, so I don't think the computer assumes it is a little old lady driving.

This am it was 88 degrees outside when I attempted to burnout.

Any ideas? If I were to talk to my dealer how do I explain it to them, their standard answer is "It is within acceptable limits" when I tell them about other issues on other vehicles I have taken to them. I do not have alot of confidence in my local dealer.

HELP!!!!!!

·
LX Padiwan
200 Posts
arizonaharleyman said:
I know that there has been some discussion reference "doggy" cars, I have just started to notice a few things about mine over the past month.

I used to be able to do burnouts at will, then I noticed if I had 4 people in the car it wouldn't do it. (I assumed the additional weight) Then with 2 people it wouldn't, now with just me in the vehicle it won't do it.

Yes, I know it is HOT outside, BUT!!!!

I cannot do a burnout, period! Early morning, late night, anytime at all. ESP OFF, I try to power brake and at full throttle, the engine just dogs down and almost dies.

Early this am I found a puddle in a parking lot and decided that maybe with some "lube" the tires would break loose. Again, engine dogs down and almost dies. I finally got them to break loose and not much after I hit dry pavement engine dogged and actually died. Had to restart, noticed after restart that my ESP OFF notification/light was still on, did not have to turn it off.

The only major mods I have done are: Mopar CAI (which I seriously think made me lose some lowend torque) and Zoomers Catback Exhaust.

I have been driving the car like a madman, so I don't think the computer assumes it is a little old lady driving.

This am it was 88 degrees outside when I attempted to burnout.

Any ideas? If I were to talk to my dealer how do I explain it to them, their standard answer is "It is within acceptable limits" when I tell them about other issues on other vehicles I have taken to them. I do not have alot of confidence in my local dealer.

HELP!!!!!!
with or without mods?

·
ITSGOT1
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With and Without. Just seems to be progressively less and less power/torque from a dead stop.

BTW, I just hit 5500 miles

G

·
A lot of it has to do with how you are applying the brake. You say you were powerbraking, and unfortunately... you cannot powerbrake our cars. When you do, the system will cutoff the throttle.

Our cars are trickier than other cars I have owned in the past. With my older cars you'd sit on the brake, slam down the gas, and wait for it to break loose. On the LX's it's different.

To do a burnout:

Turn on car, hold down ESP button for 6 seconds until you get the "ESP OFF" indicator and DING

Do NOT stomp hard down on the brake. This will cause confusion for the computer (it senses front wheels not moving while rears are) this is the same reason that dyno testing our cars is tough.

Keep the brake down just enough to prevent the car from moving

Shift into "D" then put in autostick mode 1st gear. You cannot do a real burnout in "D". As it shifts to 2nd the burnout will cease (watch the very beginning of my video, I forgot to use autostick like an idiot)

Apply a little gas to get the initial lurch out of the way, then slowly add more gas while applying more pressure to the brake to keep from moving. REMEMBER: Do not put the brake to the floor, just apply enough pressur eto keep from rolling

Once you've got a nice smoky one burning ride the gear up to the redline and while keeping the gas to the floor shift to 2nd gear

As you're doing all of this apply less pressure on the brake if you sense the rears are slowing down, and more pressure if you're creeping forward more than you want to

I slowly ease up on the brake because I like to advance a little as I burnout

Here is the video of mine on a hot humid day: http://media.putfile.com/SRT8_Burnout

·
No longer sporting dual R/T's!
9,301 Posts
add -that- one to my favorites list and spamming the crap outa the non-believers I'm related to.. NICE!

Love the kids voice - "That's Beautiful!

Mike

·
ITSGOT1
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It very well could be that I am applying too much brake and it is confusing the computer. I will play around this weekend a little bit and see if it makes a difference. I have heard people say they can lay rubber without using the brakes at all, my car rarely did that even with very low miles. Alot would depend on street conditions, temp, etc....

Bandit, gotta tell you, I saw that video shortly after you posted it.... I aspire to be like you!!! LOL You Da Man!

BTW, all ok with your update of your PCM???

G

·
arizonaharleyman said:
It very well could be that I am applying too much brake and it is confusing the computer. I will play around this weekend a little bit and see if it makes a difference. I have heard people say they can lay rubber without using the brakes at all, my car rarely did that even with very low miles. Alot would depend on street conditions, temp, etc....

Bandit, gotta tell you, I saw that video shortly after you posted it.... I aspire to be like you!!! LOL You Da Man!

BTW, all ok with your update of your PCM???
Thanks! I love my car and enjoy it to it's FULLEST each and every time I drive it.

The complete programming (all control modules) is working flawlessly, I am very pleased.

It'll take a little bit of playing to get used to how these things work on burnouts and launches... damn nanny, you can't get around her. Too many systems in play. The first time I went to powerbrake her to do a launch I realized something was amiss. Glad it wasn't during a real race, I woulda looked foolish!

They are tough to dyno as well. You can get a pull out of it to get your hp and tq but if you try to get a top speed run or a 1/4 mile simulation the computer shuts you down. When you make the shift to 4th gear it'll stop you at 4,000rpm.

·
LX Padiwan
352 Posts
arizonaharleyman said:
I have heard people say they can lay rubber without using the brakes at all, my car rarely did that even with very low miles. Alot would depend on street conditions, temp, etc....
Everytime I've gone to do 0-60 tests with my G-tech Pro Competition my car has laid some rubber with ESP on. It has been very hard to launch with ESP completely disabled. During my most recent tests (about a month ago) with ESP completely disabled the car would peel out on launch, start to move forward, and then start to slide sideways in the rear. The temp was in the 70s I believe. My only mods are the thermostat and fan. My car is not eager to burn rubber if I let the engine temp rise to 220.

·
I'm tryin' to think but nuttin' happens
5,151 Posts
I'm gonna have to say it's mostly the heat and I'm not sure when the humidity set in for you folks down there, but that makes a difference too. When it is warm (100+), the main place I feel power loss is in the low RPMs (right where you want it for burnouts). That being said, I can still roast them with a brake stand at 100+. I'm not so sure it would have been possible before I added the CAI.

As for 330toSRT8, I always look forward to my trips to Cali because of the lower altitude, lower temps and the air that seems ripe for making power. I was in Bakersfield over the 4th of July and I could literally start them spinning from a 20mph roll:rock: .

Here's some video taken on our first hot day this year and we had quite the time getting them to do this at about 102.

P.S. - Maybe you're running too rich for some reason.

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
Any of you guys with CAI and with oil in the intake tubes have tried a little MAF cleaner on the element yet? I know there's another thread with a guy with oil getting back into the CAI tube from the tube from the head. I still frequent the bmw boards where I started, and they have had a couple guys cars throwing faults and sporadic power loss issues, and some seem to be stemming from a dirty MAF sensors element, usually from overzealous oiling of the air filters. Buy some spray on cleaner, give the MAF a good spray and it clears up crappy idleing, returned power that was lost....might be something to try

·
One quick grocery get'r
526 Posts
Pull fuse 11 and leave it out for a few minutes. My car was running like a wimp until I killed the junk it had in memory. It now feels fast and responsive again and it actually downshifts hard when braking at speed (I'd forgotten it would even do this!). I'm going to make it point to pull the thing once a month until somebody can figure out how to properly program these cars.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Bandit, the burnout in my avatar, which would have gone a lot longer if I had the room, was done in D.

I agree with RocketJock, but warm the car up first, before doing the fuse pull. Then when you restart after, it will start modifying the fuel table immediately.

Mine did a bit of the same. Seemed like a pig. I did the fuse pull from cold, didn't help much. Did it again with it warmed up, and it made a big difference. Of course the warm weather helps the tires stick a bit better but I can still do burnouts in D with the ESP off. Just a little light brake and sometimes if you let it creep a little, it'll keep the computer happy enough to let you light 'em up.

·
ITSGOT1
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pull the fuse with the car running or off? is it in back by the battery or under the hood?

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
arizonaharleyman said:
pull the fuse with the car running or off? is it in back by the battery or under the hood?
Car off. It's in the fuse block under the hood. 10 - 15 seconds should be enough, then re-install & re-start. :thumbs_u:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.