LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
665 Posts
We actually did a Vista install just today. The installer is TOTALLY a Linux installer ripoff of the distro of your choice. It came on a DVD and took sooooo long to install that it was pathetic. I don't like it much I gotta say. I was psyched to have a chance to play with it a bit on a decent machine (we're setting it up for a demo lab situation). Most of the machines we work with are server style without nice 3d accelleration and generally we just use VMWare so this was a bit of a treat theoretically. I'm totally not impressed. It was slow as dirt, many packages we wanted to put on it just plain wouldn't install and the eye candy/ widget stuff was just dumb. Now this was on a nice machine as I said. 4GB of ram, 64 bit CPU, ATI X1600 video (yeah not top of the line but still should be acceptable for desktop accelleration!) Bah. No thanks at this point. I'm not much looking forward to its release. -Trouble

·
Motherf**kers Be Trippin'
10,365 Posts
Blehh...I'm a huge supporter of some MS technologies and was an MVP at one point. However, MS is totally losing the OS war technology-wise but, their user-base isn't going anywhere. MS will stay on top because people, as long as they can send email and browse goofy sites; they will just buy computers pre-loaded with Windows and not care.

We've been stuck on XP for way too long and most people are content with it. As long as Vista continues this trend, it won't matter if Linux is gaining ground, that OSX is a beautifull and powerfull OS, or that someone will resurrect BeOS, Amiga, etc...

But, to MS credit, Vista is still in beta. I remember beta testing XP up until about two months before it's RTM and it sucked too.

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone that's tried Vista that's really impressed with it - I've had it for a while but haven't installed it yet for just that reason. Keep in mind though that beta builds typically include full debug content and are not optimized. On a product the size of Vista, that amounts to a ton of overhead - enough to literally kill performance on all but the fastest machines... :roll:

·
Thats no moon!
1,899 Posts
Yeah, performance tuning won't happen until all the features are locked which probably won't happen until October some time if they keep the January release date. Every app they've ever done in beta is like this though, I remember the VS2005 beta's were slowing than snot in most everything.

Unfortunately they cut most of the what was going to make Vista a *cool* OS but its still a very important stepping stone that puts in a lot of technology on the back end that sets up future features. That includes a TON of security minded changes. In the end thats what Vista really has become, a major security update.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
XP is an excellent OS. I don't see Linux as an alternative due to the lack of real support. Lack of Linux training due to the constant changes make Linux a poor choice for our server OS. Apple is good stuff, but has traditionally been to expensive to compete with a PC.

·
Dazed and Confused
108 Posts
Pc OS's are a joke. I am not a computer programmer but what is so hard about making an operating system read only after the initial setup ?? And if you need to make changes make it so that only a special account that can only login on the console has access. Then lock it down again. And all applications should provide their own supporting files and keep them in their own directories. And be locked down the same way after install. It's all a big game. Certainly it cant be that difficult....

·
The King Nitwit!
9,974 Posts

·
Thats no moon!
1,899 Posts
Lol... well Apple is definately a good marketing company... I work for a small, 12 employees, marketing firm and half of our computers are macs. They crash twice as much as the PC's do and are more expensive to repair. I'll stick with my PC...

Slyk Ryk,

They actually do have that ability, in the corporate world its used all the time to keep employees from changing settings or installing unapproved applications. Its just not something that most home users would want or use IMO. Everyone would be logged in as the administrator all the time.

·
GO HUSKIES!!
3,344 Posts
Jim said:
They crash twice as much as the PC's do and are more expensive to repair. I'll stick with my PC...
Wow...really...thats the first Ive ever heard it reversed like that...In my experience, my macs are rock solid and I havent been able to crash em yet, my PCs on the other hand barely make it through booting up...I do agree that they are a little more expensive to repair and more difficult to repair too, but Im still mac all the way :rock:

The only "PC" that I have never had a real problem with is SGI machines

To each his own I guess...Interesting to hear that though

·
Premium Member
10,447 Posts
northeastern08 said:
Wow...really...thats the first Ive ever heard it reversed like that...In my experience, my macs are rock solid and I havent been able to crash em yet, my PCs on the other hand barely make it through booting up...I do agree that they are a little more expensive to repair and more difficult to repair too, but Im still mac all the way :rock:

The only "PC" that I have never had a real problem with is SGI machines

To each his own I guess...Interesting to hear that though
I highly doubt that! My new intel mac only crashes about 1 time a month if that. Macs are slowing taking over ground and with loading Windows XP on it who knows where it will lead to. XP is great OS better then what we had before it, I just think that MS screwed them self big time with taken 6 years to devlop a Linux & Apple knock off OS.

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
I've seen the rebuttal on that voice recognition stuff not working, they claim the gain on the mic was maxed out causing the problems, it's a bug they "fixed" for the future because of this presentation flub.

And I'm amazed they would be so bold as to invite hackers to probe for holes, maybe it's a shakedown, but to do so so publicly, it'll end up as another black eye before it gets better! Should of just hired some hackers privately to work for them as testers and release it when they got done fixing all the found exploits :blah:

·
Premium Member
12,532 Posts
chuckles_1205 said:
I highly doubt that! My new intel mac only crashes about 1 time a month if that. Macs are slowing taking over ground and with loading Windows XP on it who knows where it will lead to. XP is great OS better then what we had before it, I just think that MS screwed them self big time with taken 6 years to devlop a Linux & Apple knock off OS.
Intel Macs are a whole different beast. The software hasn't caught up yet.

·
GO HUSKIES!!
3,344 Posts
My G5 is a dual 1.8 from a few years ago...no problems ever...it stays fine for months without rebooting...never crashed it (maybe once or twice) and I do a lot of graphics, video, and other rendering that probably should crash it...but no problems

My MacBook (Black, yes I paid extra for a black one) is an Intel Core Duo 2.0...its been great...and yes, it seems windows runs even better on that, than any of my other PCs...if it crashes il let you guys know :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.