LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
America...fvck yeah!
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really didn't like the squatty look of the Mopar CAI's filter. I began looking at the online catalog for K&N's universal filters and settled on their model # RF-1032. It's quite a bit longer, but I don't believe you pick up anymore filter media due to it's smaller diameter. The great part for me was the availability of a filter charger. Yes, I'm aware that these do very little, but I love the way they look under the hood. The filter is a direct bolt on to the Mopar tube with absolutely no issues. Here are the part numbers:

AJ USA

K&N Filter RF-1032 = $40.50
K&N Filter Wrap RF-1032DR = $24.50
Online Discount = ($5.00) orders over $50.00
Net Delivered Price = $60 free delivery

The wraps also come in Blue, Yellow and Black.

·
America...fvck yeah!
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another option is a round, coffee can style filter. I believe the RD-1400 will fit as it has a 4" base and is 6" in length.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RD-1400

It also has a corresponding wrap, part # 22-8020PK. Sorry, but I can only find black for this model. It is MUCH less expensive for this wrap vs. the tapered unit.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=22-8020PK

This set up will definitely offer more filter media than the Mopar unit. The filter is a little more pricey but the cheaper wrap makes it nearly a wash.

AJ USA

K&N Filter RD-1400 = $52.50
K&N Filter Wrap 22-8020PK = $15.50
Online Discount = ($5.00)
Net Delivered Price = $63.00

·
LX Newbie
18 Posts
CVP33 said:
Another option is a round, coffee can style filter. I believe the RD-1400 will fit as it has a 4" base and is 6" in length.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RD-1400

It also has a corresponding wrap, part # 22-8020PK. Sorry, but I can only find black for this model. It is MUCH less expensive for this wrap vs. the tapered unit.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=22-8020PK

This set up will definitely offer more filter media than the Mopar unit. The filter is a little more pricey but the cheaper wrap makes it nearly a wash.

AJ USA

K&N Filter RD-1400 = $52.50
K&N Filter Wrap 22-8020PK = $15.50
Online Discount = ($5.00)
Net Delivered Price = $63.00
As long as you stay withing the minimum effective filtering area you are fine:
Minimum effective filtering area:
A=(CID*RPM)/20839
RPM= max HP rpm
According to K&N
That would make the 300C SRT8 a minimum of
A=(369.72*6000)/20839
A=106.45sqin approx.

For tapered filters:
T=Pi(r[r+s]+R[R+s])
T= total surface area
Pi= 3.14
r= upper radius (if the upper outside diameter is 6 r=3)
s= height
R= lower radius

RF-1042 (Filter included in CAI kit) = 191.34sqin approx.
RF-1032 = 169.95sqin approx. (good choice)

For cylinder filters:
T=2Pir(r+h)
T = total surface area
Pi= 3.14
r= radius (1/2 of the outside diameter)
h= height

RD-1400 = 208.81sqin approx (Better choice)

K&N says to remove .75 for the height since that is where the rubber seals are. I didn't remove this and that's why these are approximations. Also based on the accuracy of equations (should be accurate) and my CID conversion is not 100% accurate +/- 1 (based on 6059cc)

FlyByU said:
Are those custom braided lines your are using or a kit? They look hot, let me know.
I believe those are just slip-ons that you can get from your local parts shop (Pep boys, Kragen, etc...)
Correct me if I'm wrong CVP33

·
America...fvck yeah!
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
349 Posts
K&N 1450 is the same filter (coffee can style) but with the black end instead of chrome. only 40 bucks from Summit...

Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
It's louder and since it's already been proved the shield doesn't do much, I was fine with pulling it out...

A difference in performance, I'd have to measure on a dyno or track. I like the look and the sound. You can really hear the throttle body with the larger filter, including the Darth Vader cough, when you turn off the engine.

·
"BAD TOYZ INC."
1,594 Posts
Sounds like a Hurricane

I'm partial to this one: The Frankentake III ..a DIY kit, about $160.00..
works A LOT BETTER than those that cost a LOT MORE.....I M O ...
Just do a Search..Franentake
Stan

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Well, the funny thing about CAI's on SRTs is when you look at the HP difference compared to the total HP, you're only getting at the most a 4% difference, which you'll never feel with the assometer, but could be fractions at the strip, if you're good enough and repeatable enough to find them.

So the reality is, they're technical bling and sound nice, if you like it, so do what you like and just enjoy it. There's lots of good CAI choices, but the best one is the one that makes you personally, smile the most. I wasn't even going to change mine, but got a deal I just couldn't refuse, on the Mopar intake. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
349 Posts
It depends on how used you are to your car and how often you race. I can notice a 10 RWHP difference and can tell at the track when a run is even a tenth off. In my old car (98 formula that ran 11.0s @ 127 through cats on motor with six speed trans) I could tell within the first 330 if my time was on par or not. I ran that car within 2-4 one hundreths with the six speed trans pass after pass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.