LX Forums Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just my input, you can let your son ride out the current scat as long he can, the 6.4’s now last very high miles with good maintenance/fluids (200,000 mi easily), that being said and having owned/own a variety of sports cars, the 5.7 isn’t a bad daily driver, and at least in my opinion, it doesn’t take a lot of mods to keep up with scats (LT headers, CAM, Tune, and a 3.09 LSD)… if you cared to mod it of course. And if you want more of an advantage with the 5.7 and you like the challenger look then that would be a better option performance wise (less weight), and to respond to your exhaust concern, if you just want to have more of a V8 sound then a mid muffler delete alone would be a good start, sounds like a stock scatpack to me.
Yes actually good ideas… my son said the same thing. He said he would be happy keeping the current one as long as he can lol….

I guess first thing first, I’ll grab the rt and see how that goes. If it’s terrible i could always get the scat and just leave son in his and keep the scat but I’m hoping I can keep the rt as it makes a lot more sense financially for the time being..

I don’t really care about how fast it is anymore, I’m getting old i guess and my priorities are changing a bit… but I do at least want it to sound good so maybe some vibrants on the rt and call it a day. I won’t mod it much more than that . 99% of my driving these days is for work and stuck in traffic anyhow.

All that being said, I’ve tried to go down these roads before and they were all epic failures lol…. So we’ll see . Either way I will miss the cat but I really think I’m going to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Saucy 345

·
Registered
Black Beauty 3.0 (06 300c 5.7)
11 Posts
Yes actually good ideas… my son said the same thing. He said he would be happy keeping the current one as long as he can lol….

I guess first thing first, I’ll grab the rt and see how that goes. If it’s terrible i could always get the scat and just leave son in his and keep the scat but I’m hoping I can keep the rt as it makes a lot more sense financially for the time being..

I don’t really care about how fast it is anymore, I’m getting old i guess and my priorities are changing a bit… but I do at least want it to sound good so maybe some vibrants on the rt and call it a day. I won’t mod it much more than that . 99% of my driving these days is for work and stuck in traffic anyhow.

All that being said, I’ve tried to go down these roads before and they were all epic failures lol…. So we’ll see . Either way I will miss the cat but I really think I’m going to sell it.

I hear that! Trial and error my friend. I would strongly suggest even a good canned tune for the 5.7… they seem to fall on their face at certain passing speeds compared to scat/cats.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I hear that! Trial and error my friend. I would strongly suggest even a good canned tune for the 5.7… they seem to fall on their face at certain passing speeds compared to scat/cats.
good to know. I don't know much about tunes and some of the other mods as I've always had a scat that didn't really need anything lol... is this easy and I also prefer not to mess up factory warranty if I can help it.

I am excited that I'll still be in a charger, for half the price, better on gas, tires, brakes, insurance etc. too. the cat isn't exactly 'cheap' to operate... and from what I can tell online, the factory exhaust seems to still sound pretty good. It certainly still beats a lot of other options that I could have been stuck with..

I'm sure once it's here I'll want to start tinkering with it a bit... but honestly I'm more excited about getting my cash back and saving money for the immediate future... (at least that's what I'm telling myself)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Charger Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
5,431 Posts
good to know. I don't know much about tunes and some of the other mods as I've always had a scat that didn't really need anything lol... is this easy and I also prefer not to mess up factory warranty if I can help it.

I am excited that I'll still be in a charger, for half the price, better on gas, tires, brakes, insurance etc. too. the cat isn't exactly 'cheap' to operate... and from what I can tell online, the factory exhaust seems to still sound pretty good. It certainly still beats a lot of other options that I could have been stuck with..

I'm sure once it's here I'll want to start tinkering with it a bit... but honestly I'm more excited about getting my cash back and saving money for the immediate future... (at least that's what I'm telling myself)
Any tune you do will muck with the warranty. What warranty work you get done will depend on the service writer/ dealer you use. Some are ok with tunes, some aren't.

As soon as they hook up to the car, they can tell if it's been tuned or not.

For you, I'd say leave it stock. Aside from the fact it's not cheap to unlock the PCM and get a tune (or replace the PCM with an unlocked one), it's just better to avoid the hassle.

I haven't touched the Durango yet for that reason and everyone is shocked lol

·
Registered
Black Beauty 3.0 (06 300c 5.7)
11 Posts

Well when it comes to factory warranty, then a tune is the last thing you’d want to do IF you’re a paranoid person, however I have seen people get away with it on 2015 and newer models (that’s the year dodge started locking computers) by having 2 PCMs, one stock and one with a tune, so they just swap it out when needed, people have also been rejected, and people simply just got lucky because that specific dealer they went to didn’t care. It’s really all up to circumstance with factory warranty LOL.
The stock exhaust for the 5.7s do sound decent on a cold start but once it was warmed up, I swear all the V8 rumble was coming from under the hood! A mid muffler delete was a nice sweet spot for me for a good while until I wanted to sound better than a stock scatpack

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Any tune you do will muck with the warranty. What warranty work you get done will depend on the service writer/ dealer you use. Some are ok with tunes, some aren't.

For you, I'd say leave it stock. Aside from the fact it's not cheap to unlock the PCM and get a tune (or replace the PCM with an unlocked one), it's just better to avoid the hassle.

Exactly , I left the Durangos alone too. Except for exhaust. If it’s too quiet I’ll add some vibrants or something simple and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well when it comes to factory warranty, then a tune is the last thing you’d want to do IF you’re a paranoid person, however I have seen people get away with it on 2015 and newer models (that’s the year dodge started locking computers) by having 2 PCMs, one stock and one with a tune, so they just swap it out when needed, people have also been rejected, and people simply just got lucky because that specific dealer they went to didn’t care. It’s really all up to circumstance with factory warranty LOL.
The stock exhaust for the 5.7s do sound decent on a cold start but once it was warmed up, I swear all the V8 rumble was coming from under the hood! A mid muffler delete was a nice sweet spot for me for a good while until I wanted to sound better than a stock scatpack
I don’t think I’ll delete , I got a taste of something similar with mini bullets on my Daytona and it was a bit too much for me lol… I’ll go vibrants or something just a kid swap . How fully it sounds a little like my scat then and I’ll be happy. My sons scat has vibrants and it’s the perfect sound and compromise not crazy but louder and deeper than stock… and cheap.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Maybe one of you has a set of scat rims for me and I can make it look a little better… that’s more important than messing with engine on this… to me. Some 20x9’s or 9.5’s would look a lot better than the 20x8’s lol

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So, are you spec-ing/ordering this R/T?
If not, do you know what's on it and/or what color or anything?

You're right though, the Scats have gotten (quite) expensive. Hell even the R/T starts over $40k now, and back in 2019 a base Scat was just under $40k lol.
But a fully loaded/optioned R/T can get expensive too (high $40k - low $50k price)

Well, on the bright side, you should be able to save some money on gas with the R/T

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So, are you spec-ing/ordering this R/T?
If not, do you know what's on it and/or what color or anything?

You're right though, the Scats have gotten (quite) expensive. Hell even the R/T starts over $40k now, and back in 2019 a base Scat was just under $40k lol.
But a fully loaded/optioned R/T can get expensive too (high $40k - low $50k price)

Well, on the bright side, you should be able to save some money on gas with the R/T
unfortunately I have no say in the matter and no idea what they ordered. although it doesn't really matter I guess. I assume the worst, base model no options and no choice of color lol... hopefully they at least got the blacktop package. At worst its still an RT lol.. if they were gt or sxt I would decline. I can live with an R/T even in base form.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
no idea what they ordered
And they're not even telling you what they ordered or anything? :unsure:
It could be a (fully loaded) $55k R/T, lol.

I would definitely be asking these questions before you get sold on the idea of "settling" on this R/T, when you could have a Scat instead (even just a base Scat). Just sayin'

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And they're not even telling you what they ordered or anything? :unsure:
It could be a (fully loaded) $55k R/T, lol.

I would definitely be asking these questions before you get sold on the idea of "settling" on this R/T, when you could have a Scat instead (even just a base Scat). Just sayin'
no, it's the opposite usually... they usually don't get anything in them as they buy so many that they try to limit options to keep pricing down...

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
but I hear you, no need for a 50k RT LOL... base narrow scat now I think is 49k MSRP give or take...

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So when will (or could) this all happen?
No idea. Soon as they arrive. I assume sometime in the next month or two as there shouldn’t be any issue getting rt’s lol

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
No idea. Soon as they arrive. I assume sometime in the next month or two as there shouldn’t be any issue getting rt’s lol
This is a 2022?

Is there only one coming, or you're going to have a choice(s)?

Also, have you looked into selling off your Cat via private party (possibly more money)?

·
Registered
2006 300 SRT8
256 Posts

Actually that’s incorrect as the dealership would have to show 100% proof that the tune or whatever modification caused the failure unless the modification is strictly prohibited by the manufacturer. For instance if a Cummins engine fails in a dodge and a K&N air filter, or other reusable filter is found, and the engines pistons are found to be eroded the repair will not be covered under warranty. This is because Cummins has found that the K&N TYPE air filters allow too much air flow/unfiltered air into the engine which erodes the tops of the pistons.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Charger Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
5,431 Posts
Actually that’s incorrect as the dealership would have to show 100% proof that the tune or whatever modification caused the failure unless the modification is strictly prohibited by the manufacturer. For instance if a Cummins engine fails in a dodge and a K&N air filter, or other reusable filter is found, and the engines pistons are found to be eroded the repair will not be covered under warranty. This is because Cummins has found that the K&N TYPE air filters allow too much air flow/unfiltered air into the engine which erodes the tops of the pistons.
What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe you should go back and read what I typed completely instead of just arguing for the sake of arguing like you do on your other posts.

Heat has money, but not the kind of money it would take to fight a warranty denial claim against Stellantis/FCA/Daimler Benz or whatever umbrella Mopar falls under now.

Even if the tech/ writer doesn't know a pineapple from a throttle body and says the tune mucked it up, Heat would have the burden of proof to show it didn't. Lawyers are not cheap and some battles aren't worth fighting, especially when they could be avoided to start with.

·
Registered
2006 300 SRT8
256 Posts
What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe you should go back and read what I typed completely instead of just arguing for the sake of arguing like you do on your other posts.

Heat has money, but not the kind of money it would take to fight a warranty denial claim against Stellantis/FCA/Daimler Benz or whatever umbrella Mopar falls under now.

Even if the tech/ writer doesn't know a pineapple from a throttle body and says the tune mucked it up, Heat would have the burden of proof to show it didn't. Lawyers are not cheap and some battles aren't worth fighting, especially when they could be avoided to start with.
First, I’m not the one who STARTS the arguments in my other posts. Others who think they know better without having the knowledge or first hand experience of what I’m talking about do.

Second, neither a tech nor a service writer have the power to determine what is or is not warranty. They can recommend and suggest and sometimes even lie to the customer but 9 times out of 10 if the customer pushes it to the service director or worse case the GM they’re gonna side with the customer because they know if it goes to court they’re most likely gonna lose.

The customer showing “burden of proof” is like saying in a criminal case you have to prove you didn’t do something you didn’t do. That’s not how it works in this country, even in civil cases. The burden of proof is to the dealership/manufacturer to show conclusive irrefutable evidence that whatever they say caused the failure did in fact cause said failure. You might want to check your warranty operations manual as aftermarket parts, including software and performance parts, are protected under the Magnuson-Miss warranty act.

ESPECIALLY these days and dealerships being terrified of Google reviews, Yelp, etc like they all are! They’ll do anything, including warrantying an aftermarket ring and pinion that was installed with no shims only to have the entire claim kicked back all to “please the customer”.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts