·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do look alike, but they are cheaper than Mopars.

·
LX Newbie
27 Posts
mopar wheel locks are made by mcgard. i work for the dealer people lose those damn lock keys all the time.

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
Locking nuts are pretty much a waste of money. All a wheel thief has to do is hammer a socket on the locking nut, and voila! No more wheels. :(

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
The outside of my Mopar branded McGuards have a ring that floats, so you can hammer a socket on all you like, it won't turn the nuts.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TehKing said:
Locking nuts are pretty much a waste of money. All a wheel thief has to do is hammer a socket on the locking nut, and voila! No more wheels. :(
The more time thief thinks he needs to fudge around with the target the less he is likely to touch it. Police will tell you that too. They move on to easier targets. Also, with AR 311s, good luck getting to the nut. The whole is so deep and tight, that the thing that comes with the car does not fit. I use a socket and a torquewrench to get them on or off.

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
Best ones I have found were the MoPar ones.

Whatever you buy, make sure that they fit your car's lug wrench.

Nothing like getting a flat and finding out that your lug wrench does not fit your wheel locks.

Bob

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
FloridaRT said:
Best ones I have found were the MoPar ones.

Whatever you buy, make sure that they fit your car's lug wrench.

Nothing like getting a flat and finding out that your lug wrench does not fit your wheel locks.

Bob
I had that experiance a couple of weeks ago. Thank God it was in the driveway. I now keep a 14" breaker bar and a deepwell socket in the car with the spare. I'll use the stock lug wrench to opperate the jack.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Get a spare key for them as well. I was checking out one of my wheels then went for a drive and realised, I left the key on... Crap!

Fortunately, I was going to Buffalo that week and McGuard (the maker of my Mopar locks) is in Orchard Park, just south of Buffalo. Picked up a pair of new keys there at the counter.

·
HEMI POWERED Road Warrior
1,013 Posts
Wheel locks like all locks are detterents for those who are less inclined to fiddle with one if they see an easier target. I do suggest for your own ease of use you go with an acorn style lock which you are provided a keyed socket for the lug. The style you reference in IMHO is a pain with that little key trying to torque and remove the lug with little room for angle error when using it. Gorillla makes the style lock I mentioned here is a link for visual reference. http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=259&sfID2=292 and picture:

·
LX Newbie
191 Posts
I have both the McGard and the Gorilla lock and have to say I prefer the McGard. They're higher quality.

If you go with the Gorilla locks make sure the socket is completely seated on the nut before you apply torque to them. Sounds obvious, right? Well the other day I was in a hurry trying to change the wheels out on my girlfriends car and had the high quality gorilla socket slip off the nut and split. Luckily they are a one "key" fits all and Les Schwab had a spare. $5 later I'm back on the job. But I was left scratching my head a bit. How is this a theft deterrant if the keys are all the same?

·
Premium Member
11,771 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM THE MOPAR LOCKS...had them on my Mag (dealer installed)...see picture...don't know if dealer fractured the nut or it gave way when I was tightening...it was a nightmare...In addition the lock-key itself broke very easily once the lock-nut broke...Had to order new key from McGard...30 bucks later I tossed all lock nuts...I like the the way the Gorilla's make their nuts (pic above). If you are set on getting locks don't get the MOPARS or MCguards

ok I see above that everyone has issues with all locks...good luck...decisions, decisions

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
I bet they would replace them for free.

Also, tell your dealer to look up the torque spec in the friggen manual. There's no way 110 ft/lbs would do that. That's abuse from ijits.

·
rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
I have McGuard on mine. Trick is not to use a air wrench on them. I always leave them off when service is needed that Im not doing. When I get back home, I put the locks back on myself by hand with my lug wrench. Every service center wants to use power wrench on everything because there lazy. Ive had tires installed that were so tight I needed a 4 foot cheater bar. Had some gall the threads and when I tried to loosen them, the studs broke they were so tite. On my AMG Mercedes, place mounted my wheels so tight they warped the wheels and had to replace all of them for a few grand.

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
Anytime you have your wheels serviced, double check the torque on the lugs. After having my front rotors replaced at 300 miles, the dealership had torqued 3 lugs on one of my front tires to 80lbs and the other two were 100lbs. The other front was reversed with 2 at 80 and 3 at 100lbs. Not a single one was at the recommended 110lbs.

Just another reason why I like to do my own maintenance on my cars. I may not get it exactly right but I know I will know who to blame if it isn't right :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.