LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
LX Newbie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just returned from the NC Mountains and I couldn't believe how well the Mag drove. While the car is over 4000lbs, it is still able to hug back mountain roads like a small sports car. The HEMI had no problem going uphill and stuck to the road (even with original rubber) on the downhill. The wide stance of the car is great on the turns. While I love the Mag on the highway, I'd live in the mountains full time just for the driving. We even had time to use the extra inch of height on the AWD while looking for waterfalls. Traveled on some gravel and dirt roads that had some deep ruts without any problem. I don't believe my wife's SUV would have done any better. The ground clearance isn't ready for true off road, but more than enough for most driving needs.

I also received numerous comments from people (SUV owners) on the amount of stuff we were able to pack in the back of the car. With the back load floor removed you can carry a lot of gear. I must have seen thirty 300s over the week and only 5 or 6 Mags. Don't understand why more people don't buy this car.

·
I dunno......
3,884 Posts
Where in the NC mountains did you go? My inlaws have a place near West Jefferson...we are there often. I agree...I love taking the Magnum up there...a fun drive.

·
Premium Member
10,061 Posts
I know what you mean. We came back through the mountains from the Se Shindig. We did the Tail of the Dragon , and the Mag was great. The last part of it I had a few Motorcycles on my ass. A few rice rockets blew by me but I was able to keep up with some of the Harley's. I had the wifey looking for the O- Shi* handle.

·
I dunno......
3,884 Posts
You guys went to some great areas..are you from NC new2dodge?

Like I said, we stick to the Ashe County area, since we have a family place up there...I love it, especially this time of year when it gets so hot!

·
LX Newbie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm born and raised NC. Seems like we are a rare breed as most people I meet moved to NC. Live in Raleigh now, but still call Fayetteville and Hope Mills home.

I'll have to look into the tail of the dragon the next time we take a vacation. Looks like fun, but don't know if my wife will let me drive. She feels better behind the wheel than sitting as a passenger.

·
Threadkiller.........see?
3,099 Posts
Welcome, from nowhere-near-Charlotte (but I wish I was there!). I had my RT in the Rocky Mountains around Banff but haven't had the opportunity to put it through its paces on the tight twisties.

·
Got Diesel?
472 Posts
We did NC last month visiting relatives in Asheville. Very pleased on how the Magnum performed in the mountains. And on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

MikeyB

·
Mag-niac
439 Posts
Another Charlotte welcome!

My g/f and I went to Hendersonville and Brevard in May and had a great time on the hills and curves in between waterfalls.

·
LX Newbie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's nice to see other Mags in NC. I see two or three around the Raleigh and RTP area, but not many more. I can't wait and try and mountains again with new (wider) tires. That will have to wait as I only have 11K on the car and the tires still look good for another 20K or so.

·
Steve
1,082 Posts
Man!!! June 25th to the 30th I was first in Myrtle beach and then we rode on to Tail of the Dragon....Did this on 2 Harleys with full loads. My best friend and his fiance and a lady friend of mine and myself. At the end of the Dragon my starter motor finally gave out. (has been an on going problem) We had to push the bike and pop the clutch to start her. Lucky there was a Harley dealer down the street. I drove it in and they started working on it right away! But while they were working on it I had the salesman send someone back to the shop to see what kind of offer I could get on it as a trade in. The offered me 12K for a bike I paid 14K for 3 years ago! So I took the deal and we rode back from Tennesse on a new Ultra Classic Eletra Glide.....man cruise control on a bike is nice!

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
North Carolina is a beautiful state! Always felt right at home there even though I'm a Damned Yankee!:wink:

·
LX Newbie
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grandaddy,

I travel to and from RTP daily. Traffic on 40 is a drag, but 540 and the back roads are a blast in the Mag. I'll have had mine a year in November and have just over 11k on the car.

·
LX Padiwan
262 Posts
Only time I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway was on our tandem bicycle. That was a couple of years ago. I had to take it easy on the descent, or I would have got a smack from the stoker! Would be a great place to take the Magnum. I love mine in NH.

·
LX Newbie
2 Posts
Another Charlotte Magnum owner here...

My wife and i just spent a week driving along the Blue Ridge and loved every minute of it. I was very impressed with the way the magnum held the road.

my only complaint was trying to see around the A-pillar on tight left hand turns - other than that it was perfect.

·
Jarhead
87 Posts
Yesterday, I would have crashed if not for AWD.
I was hotdogging with a new Mustang GT in the curves. After a long straightaway he had a fender on me, but due to the AWD I was able to brake deeper in and thus gained two cars lengths on the Stang out of the curve. The AWD saved my ass, and it's ass, and spanked the Moostang.
:racing:
Mad`

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.