1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Saving the world one leg at a time!
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
Clicking like that is most commonly caused by a worn out lifter, worn cam lobe, or...drumroll please..a loose exhaust/header bolt.

Time to get under there and see if any are loose.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hmmmm... mine has the same ticking and I haven't done any mods on headers or engine.

·
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you think it might be a loose header bolt eh? Why would the loose header bolt cause a louder ticking? It doesn't sound like a leak. I hope not. I used the Breslin locking bolts. I guess I'll take it to the local dealership and see what they say.
Putting on the headers wouldn't cause any of the other possible problems would it? I want to make sure I have my ammo before going to the dealership. I'm new to Jacksonville and don't have my good buddie from VA who helped put the headers on...
Chris

67alecto said:
Clicking like that is most commonly caused by a worn out lifter, worn cam lobe, or...drumroll please..a loose exhaust/header bolt.

Time to get under there and see if any are loose.

·
Kool Magumn
128 Posts
sounds like header leak to me to stock manifolds will muffel some valve train noise my lifters clicked when cold a couple of times in morning but my engine don,t have that sound {like video}

·
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't I throw a CEL if I had a header leak?

·
LX Padiwan
281 Posts
Legmaker, I've had my LT's for well over a year and 15K miles. The sound you have on video sounds normal for the LT headers to me. I asked a few buddies of mine about a very pronounced ticking I get at startup and also the lighter ticking at idle (that you have). They common answer was that the Stainless Steel longtubes have a tendency to transfer the sound energy created by the opening of the valve and the exhaust gasses rushing into the tubes. With a manifold or a shorty this is not as pronounced! Think of it this way. Each tube is about 30" long with the LT headers. That leaves plenty of area for the sound to resonate. Imagine a guitar string. Pluck the string that is full length then pluck the string that has been shortened by more then half. The longer string has a more pronounced sound and duration. The short one makes a slight noise but quickly disapates. WIth the short and rigid Shortys you will get very little noise as compared to the LT's. The stock manafold sounds more like a sewing machine!! No need to worry, just make sure the headers are tight after 3k and 6K with the bresline bolts. IF they are staying tight then you should be able to go 10-15K without inspecting them. I have regular head bolts and need re-torquing after 6 k miles now after having a handfull already done every 3K miles. Here I have a video from the rear of my magnum with Dynatech Longtubes and the 4 muffler Borla setup
. Its an older video and its taken from the rear but you can hear the tick at startup and idle. The car is warm when I start it up but you can hear the tick over the exhaust rumble. I can post another video if you like fron the side as you showed, you will hear that mine is loud also, no need to worry!!

·
LX Padiwan
281 Posts
legmaker72 said:
Wouldn't I throw a CEL if I had a header leak?
When it becomes bad enough, Yes. My magnum never threw CELs but for once, maybe twice in the first year after the header install. After this winter I was throwing them like crazy, I'm pretty sure it was a header leak. I put the rear O2 spers in anyways when I got the headers retorqued. If you do have a leaky header you will hear a very pronounced ticking coming from one side of the motor when the hood is open. One side usually lossens up first. When your sure you have the headers properly torqued, do youself a favor. Open the hood and listen closly to each side of the motor. When the headers begin to leak you will hear a very noticble differencee in the type of "tick" you are getting. It will be a very sharp ticking that does not change when the car is warm vs cold. With the Bresline bolts I dont think you will have to worry.

·
Premium Member
34,711 Posts
Hey,I know that sound,I chased it around my R/T for three weeks,made me nuts.You definately have a header leak.Get youself a 12point 3/8 wrench if you have breslins and tighten them up,I found out the hard way the breslins CAN loosen if you put anti-sieze on the center pins.Don't drive it hard while it's ticking and maybe you won't blow out the gasket.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
I've h ear5d this with and without headers. Comes and goes too. I've heard it more int he winter than the summer.
Ya wont throw any cels for a header leak and I toted one from the time the dealership installed me headers to the time the heads were swapped. Never had the lifter knock while the leak was there. My wifes stock R/T did a fewt imes though. When the springs in mine were replaced it was the same tick louder than ever for a while as the new Manley springs broke in. I chalked that up to what it was... new springs a springin. I really can't put my finger on what it is cming and going though. The quazi-supercharger wine comes and goes too but not with the rcoker ticking.
I didn't worry about it much when my warranty was in effect.
well, actually I don't worry much about it now but I havn't had the mystery tick inb a long time.
maybe it's the cars way of asking to go to the track.

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
legmaker72 said:
So you think it might be a loose header bolt eh? Why would the loose header bolt cause a louder ticking? It doesn't sound like a leak. I hope not.
Chris
It is a common cause - common because people tend to forget to re-torque their header bolts after driving them awhile.

Mainly, it's also an easy thing to check, so it's a good place to start.

·
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys..Mixed reviews, but it's an easy enough thing to recheck the headers bolts. Now I just have to get myself some jack stands!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Would to hear from you, legmaker, if tightening the bolts worked (since you alreadu going under the car :) )

·
LX Padiwan
3,697 Posts
Would rapping the headers in glass help (if its not a leak) with the noise, assuming its normal?

·
Clever Disguise as a Responsible Adult
5,801 Posts
crhemi said:
Would rapping the headers in glass help (if its not a leak) with the noise, assuming its normal?
Probably, and it would probably give a bit of a performance boost by keeping heat in the exhaust system. The more heat kept in the exhaust system, the better the flow. Not to mention keeping heat out of the engine bay is a good thing too.

BTW, that just sounds like a normal set of headers to me. An exhaust tick, not mechanical.

I'll let you know how my Mopar LTs sound after they are installed this week.

·
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PW, let me know what yours sound like after the install...

·
Clever Disguise as a Responsible Adult
5,801 Posts
legmaker72 said:
PW, let me know what yours sound like after the install...
Will do bud.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.