LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to you all for your suggestion, and sorry for the late reply, I decided to do my due diligence before spending so much money especially after concerns raised here. I requested the VIN number from the owner, and run a VIN CHECK found a website: Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate (It's Cheap incase you guys interested, To my surprise, I saw photos after entering the VIN number so my curiosity piqued and I took a bite. Look at the picture in the report, the car was sold for $10,025, the damage are noting to be worried but Share your thought!

Here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/2C3CDXAT7JH163233

Hello guys
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2018 Dodge Charger or anything similar but I'm really interested in this one, unfortunately this car has salvage title and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything else I should be looking out for while doing my inspection day, and I will purchase the car report to see damage and other details.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $17,950 and it has 40620 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
971 Posts
A police salvage, that sounds like a potential big bag of problems to me. Must have been a major accident for them, but not sure what police insurance is like with accidents with totaling. We've got quite a few police package owners on here. Hopefully they will chime in. Might want to mention that in your title.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks SuperSound for your post, I pretty much posted that same thoughts above but I removed it thinking that it would be too negative on what he was asking. The below was my original post that I removed,……
mmmmm A lot of flags on that one…….for me anyway. A 2018 ex police pursuit car (kind of obvious) with only 40k on it, that normally would be put on in about a year, or less. That being said, with a salvaged title, I’m thinking it was written off early in its police career, sold as basically junk to someone that spent years in their spare time to repair it (another mmmm) thinking they would keep it but ended up wanting to flog it. Oh yea, tinting the windows, a small touch of eye candy, nice touch. Could have had several owners. Not sure what they go for in the US market though. For me……..a big PASS. IMHO anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Agreed that it could be a bag of issues, but to me it's all in the eye of the beholder. If he looks at it, drives it and checks out all the major items, if this is his thing he might do it and it would be fine to do so. He already knows it's a salvage title and what might be found.

I'd say a nice long drive, turning everything on and off and making sure all major systems work, no warning lights on the dash, etc. will go a long way. If it were me, I'd take a scanner with me and plug it in and see if there are any stored codes that might raise up the big red flag. A quick stop at a trusted mechanic to peek at it wouldn't be a bad idea either. Perform the right due diligence and it might just be fine. I see cars on the road everyday that "dog track" and otherwise look like they're going to fall apart rolling. This actually appears solid from the photos.

What do you think, Jems Dark? Taking the plunge?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yea get it up on a rack for a close inspection (and the stored code checks). The thing I would concentrate is finding out what has been fixed/replaced. Then try to figure out the nature accident that got it wrote off. With that knowledge, you know what are likely the problem areas to check thoroughly.

If the owner is on the up and up, he should have no problems with you taking extra time to inspect a salvaged car. If they are dragging their feet or resistant, run.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You never know it could have been written off for a fairly minor collision causing all the airbags being deployed. In Canada it is common for insurance companies to write off the car if that happens because of the cost of repairs. A 2018 cruiser with only 40k on it in four years +/- still has me scratching my head that it’s only coming up for sale now. Makes me think it has changed hands and maybe a few times. It was also never mentioned if it is a private or dealer of some sort sale. Not enough details. Like one TV judge often used statement (not exact wording) on cases about buying used cars……”you made the deal with blinders on because you just had to have that car because it was purdy”

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all for your suggestion, and sorry for the late reply, I decided to do my due diligence before spending so much money especially after concerns raised here. I requested the VIN number from the owner, and run a VIN CHECK found a website:Detailed Vehicle History Report For any Vehicle - 100% Accurate (It's Cheap incase you guys interested, To my surprise, I saw photos after entering the VIN number so my curiosity piqued and I took a bite. Look at the picture in the report, the car was sold for $10,025, the damage are noting to be worried but Share your thought!

Here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/2C3CDXAT7JH163233
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
971 Posts
Report looks like it has holes in the data. The timeline is the best indicator, insurance reported it salvage in January this year. Then a few months later is it passing, looks to be driving again. The windshield and looks like maybe some of the back windows are missing, and looks like the headliner was out. But that might be them removing the lightbars and equipment.

From all the pics, doesn't look like any damage that would have totaled it. I'm wondering if this is a flood car. Only thing I can think of that wouldn't leave visible damage but total it.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
I'm wondering if this is a flood car.
If it is a flood recovery, it would still show it's face in spots. Check the ground connections and other items under the hood that would have rusted excessively had they been subject to a large amount of water. Also, check the seat tracks. They'll show rust too.

The windshield being gone in that picture is an interesting question mark.

They're trying to make a pretty penny off of it too.....purchased for $10K and trying to sell for almost $18K. Given the shifty history of the car and the salvage title, I'd say you have some negotiating power there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Still…..Big pass on that one. I don’t think you will be happy in the end by always trying to justify buying it and when you are talking to others about buying a written off ex police car (with pics). You will never have complete piece of mind.
Add a few bucks and buy a used RT with the option, if you want, of adding some after market warranty. If it was a great deal, they would have had interested buyers before all the damage (hopefully not only the visual) was fully completed by the shop. Again, that’s just me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would pass on it.
$18K for a salvaged police cruiser. Yes, it has 40K miles but I bet it's got a ton of time idling which isn't good.
Plus holes in the roof for all the equipment wiring, a crappy center console, and the back seat is probably vinyl or plastic.
Nope....... let it go

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Why does this feel like cleverly crafted spam...
Not sure how it all works specifically, but the OP has "liked" several of the responses.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts