LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the Kooks headers/cats from Southern Hotrod last week. Pretty good deal, real nice guy to deal with, personally the best vendor I've dealt with on this board.

The car is definitely louder, in a "mean" sort of way. It sounds very aggressive. I noticed a difference right away, and so did my neighbors.

Took about 3.5 hours to do the install. Really have to be patient. I love how Kooks words their instructions: "Some of the bolts might be tricky to install.". You can say that again. They should say: "Some bolts might take an hour to remove.".

Performance wise I didn't notice a big difference myself but a passenger did.

The first problem I had was the x-pipe rattling on the cross-member, which was awful. The car was not even drivable.

So I lowered the cross-member with some spacers and everything was good for a while, until it dropped again last night. Now instead of a constant rattle, I've got a clunk when I hit a bump. I'm not sure what's more annoying.

I'm hopefully going to resolve these issues this morning when I head back to the shop.

All in all, I'm happy with the investment.

http://www.frankdot.com/KOOKS/open.wmv

·
Registered
416 Posts
Very nice, I swear it is easier to remove the heads just to put the headers on!
The crossmember can be deleted if you feel comfortable with the exhaust never coming loose. Keep us posted if the Cel comes on for the high flow cats. Later!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
msdnga said:
Very nice, I swear it is easier to remove the heads just to put the headers on!
The crossmember can be deleted if you feel comfortable with the exhaust never coming loose. Keep us posted if the Cel comes on for the high flow cats. Later!
You're right about that. Didn't realize how easy it was to take them off until we started bolting the new ones on.

What do you mean the cross-member can be deleted? Wouldn't something have to go in its place?

The reason the cross-member kept coming down was because of the cats. They would twist and push the cross member down.

I just had them spot-welded, and it seemed to solve the problem but I won't know until I put a few more miles on the car.

No CEL as of yet, I've done about 100 miles so far, but we'll see.

Later,
Frank

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
*bump* Any CEL's?

·
I play with guns.
927 Posts
WOW!!! What exhaust do you have installed? I'd like to see a vid w/ the whole setup. Sounded SICK! from the cats! :rock:

·
Premium Member
16,581 Posts
ebay, mechanical spacers, costs about $30. You can get them cheaper and drill them yourself but my time is worth more to me than drilling. (Funny coming from a guy who works for an oil company).

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
wow nice sound i wish i could have the kooks headers around here

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Redfox0099 said:
ebay, mechanical spacers, costs about $30. You can get them cheaper and drill them yourself but my time is worth more to me than drilling. (Funny coming from a guy who works for an oil company).
Thanks, dude. Appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
DRZES said:
My codes are:

P0420
P0430

Any fix?
Those codes are for rear O2 cat inefficiency (rear O2's are indicating that the cats are not warming up quick enough)

When HP Tuners releases their software you can use it to delete those codes permanently since the rear O2's have nothing to do with how the car performs.

I had the same thing happen on my 02 ZO6 when I installed headers with aftermarket cats.

Sounds Bad A$$!!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.