LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
<==XTRP8R===
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a beautiful morning today after several days of rain, and with the streets finally dry it was time for a visit to friends in a nearby city. I had just turned off an interstate bypass and made a turn onto a state highway leading to my friend's house when along beside me comes this big black SSR with deep tint and vanity plates proudly announcing his horsepower (390). The state highway speed limit in town was 45, but as we left town headed for the open country the limit bumps up to 60. Good speed for an SRT!!

Side by side at 60 miles per hour I listened to Mr. Valentine... he was quiet. I looked around and in front and saw neither any close traffic nor any troopers. A sideways glance at old SSR got me a grin, so I gave him a little "goodbye" wave with my right hand as my right foot hit the volume control. The WA580 dropped to second gear as the Corsas started barking in time with the howl from the Airaid intake... and in about 2 seconds I had jumped two car lengths on the SSR which was really trying to catch up but falling farther behind. Third gear snapped the front end up a little bit as the tires took a deep bite of pavement and when I looked in the side view mirror I was thinking "objects in mirror appear to be losing". I let up on the hammer at about ninety, and the SSR was about 5 cars behind me by then. I coasted down to the speed limit (big six zero) and waited for the SSR to catch me. Unfortunately there was a stop light about 1/4 mile ahead and it was red... and a Texas State Trooper came from an intersecting road and turned onto the state highway in my lane ahead of me. When the SSR and I stopped at the light he started racing his engine as if he wanted to try for a piece of Chrysler. What a dunce!! He had a manual shift car and apparently didn't know about the WA580 in my C. Since at this time there was a trooper about 1/3 mile ahead of me I wasn't about to give him a "contest for speed" violation and I sedately pulled ahead as the SSR smoked his tires in place. The trooper hit his gumball machine lights and did a quick U-turn... but he was after someone going the opposite direction and left us alone. I think the SSR wet his pants, though.

I reached the turnoff for my friend's house in the next mile, so I let the SSR off the hook for another whuppin'. There's always another day. :racing:

Ah, what a beautiful morning!!

·
I'm releasing the flying monkeys!
1,468 Posts
That does sound like a perfect way to start the day!

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Hogward said:
It was a beautiful morning today after several days of rain, and with the streets finally dry it was time for a visit to friends in a nearby city. I had just turned off an interstate bypass and made a turn onto a state highway leading to my friend's house when along beside me comes this big black SSR with deep tint and vanity plates proudly announcing his horsepower (390). The state highway speed limit in town was 45, but as we left town headed for the open country the limit bumps up to 60. Good speed for an SRT!!

Side by side at 60 miles per hour I listened to Mr. Valentine... he was quiet. I looked around and in front and saw neither any close traffic nor any troopers. A sideways glance at old SSR got me a grin, so I gave him a little "goodbye" wave with my right hand as my right foot hit the volume control. The WA580 dropped to second gear as the Corsas started barking in time with the howl from the Airaid intake... and in about 2 seconds I had jumped two car lengths on the SSR which was really trying to catch up but falling farther behind. Third gear snapped the front end up a little bit as the tires took a deep bite of pavement and when I looked in the side view mirror I was thinking "objects in mirror appear to be losing". I let up on the hammer at about ninety, and the SSR was about 5 cars behind me by then. I coasted down to the speed limit (big six zero) and waited for the SSR to catch me. Unfortunately there was a stop light about 1/4 mile ahead and it was red... and a Texas State Trooper came from an intersecting road and turned onto the state highway in my lane ahead of me. When the SSR and I stopped at the light he started racing his engine as if he wanted to try for a piece of Chrysler. What a dunce!! He had a manual shift car and apparently didn't know about the WA580 in my C. Since at this time there was a trooper about 1/3 mile ahead of me I wasn't about to give him a "contest for speed" violation and I sedately pulled ahead as the SSR smoked his tires in place. The trooper hit his gumball machine lights and did a quick U-turn... but he was after someone going the opposite direction and left us alone. I think the SSR wet his pants, though.

I reached the turnoff for my friend's house in the next mile, so I let the SSR off the hook for another whuppin'. There's always another day. :racing:

Ah, what a beautiful morning!!
Great way to start the day.

If you slammed him by 5 lengths do you think I may be able to give one a good run as well?

I have a guy around town which a purple custom painted SSR. Always breaking my chops, but I'm afraid to go at him. And I never go on the streets.

What do you think.?

·
Mama / DB geek / driver
8,821 Posts
chasb said:

If you slammed him by 5 lengths do you think I may be able to give one a good run as well?

I have a guy around town which a purple custom painted SSR. Always breaking my chops, but I'm afraid to go at him. And I never go on the streets.

What do you think.?
The top of the line latest SSR boasts a 6 liter engine, but also weighs about 5000 lbs or so. I whooped one a month or so ago. His engine was comparable, but between the extra 900-1000 lbs and the two fat occupants, it wasn't a contest. You'd probably at least give him a run, if only because your car's a good bit lighter.

·
LX Padiwan
455 Posts
You'd definitely give him a run if it's the older SSR with the old 5.7 motor putting out 350 hp. I remember all the magazines complaining about the hefty weight and the measly 0 - 60 of around 7 secs (I forget the quarter mile). I just checked, it was 0 - 60 of 7 seconds and the quarter mile at 15.4... I can't imagine the upgraded version with 40 more horsepower being that much faster. All in all it should be a close driver's race.

·
<==XTRP8R===
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chasb said:

What do you think.?
While that 2005 SSR with the 6-speed is a 13.9 second car it is no match for my lightly modded SRT-8. For one thing it has quite a bit less horsepower and about 450 pounds more to carry. For another, the 6-speed is a major disadvantage unless the driver has lots of skill (he didn't, in this case).

The 2006 SSR has 5 more ponies and most of 'em come with a quick shifting automatic. They are a bit quicker than the older ones, but not much quicker.

If your car 0-60 comes in less than 5.3 and your 1/4 mile in less than 13.9 then you have a good chance of stomping that grape SSR. It should be a fun race anyway!

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
shnitzelman2001 said:
You'd definitely give him a run if it's the older SSR with the old 5.7 motor putting out 350 hp. I remember all the magazines complaining about the hefty weight and the measly 0 - 60 of around 7 secs (I forget the quarter mile). I just checked, it was 0 - 60 of 7 seconds and the quarter mile at 15.4... I can't imagine the upgraded version with 40 more horsepower being that much faster. All in all it should be a close driver's race.
I ran with an older one from about 20-70 (merging highyway) and he had no chance. He had been driving like an idiot to get along side me for the straightaway, and I knew he would try to cut me off when his lane disappeared. I disabused him of this.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
OK Guys and gals

Hogward said:
While that 2005 SSR with the 6-speed is a 13.9 second car it is no match for my lightly modded SRT-8. For one thing it has quite a bit less horsepower and about 450 pounds more to carry. For another, the 6-speed is a major disadvantage unless the driver has lots of skill (he didn't, in this case).

The 2006 SSR has 5 more ponies and most of 'em come with a quick shifting automatic. They are a bit quicker than the older ones, but not much quicker.

If your car 0-60 comes in less than 5.3 and your 1/4 mile in less than 13.9 then you have a good chance of stomping that grape SSR. It should be a fun race anyway!
Next time he does something provocative, I'll take him on

I've done a couple of 5.3-5.4 60's and I ran a 14.1 at ETOWN with my 20" tires and heavy rims. (Friends of mine with same setup but running their stock 18's did 13.8's so I am close.)

Putting the hIgh flow cats on next week sometime. After that we'll see.

Thanks.

Aftetr that I'll tell him how old I am. That will be the coup d'egras

·
<==XTRP8R===
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chasb said:
Next time he does something provocative, I'll take him on

I've done a couple of 5.3-5.4 60's and I ran a 14.1 at ETOWN with my 20" tires and heavy rims. (Friends of mine with same setup but running their stock 18's did 13.8's so I am close.)

Putting the hIgh flow cats on next week sometime. After that we'll see.

Thanks.

Aftetr that I'll tell him how old I am. That will be the coup d'egras
Go get 'em!! Oh, yeah!! And throw that age card on him last... they always blink in disbelief when I tell them I was born in 1944! :rock:

·
One quick grocery get'r
526 Posts
I got "pushed" by an SSR on the highway while trying to pull away from him at WOT. The car's running much better now after pulling fuse 11 so it may be a different story- but in either case, I don't think he was stock.

·
<==XTRP8R===
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No matter how quick you are, there's always someone out there just a little (or a lot) quicker.

A stock SSR is not gonna stay with an SRT-8 from a stop, from a roll or on the top end. But the LS-2 is remarkably easy (and relatively inexpensive) to mod, so many of them you see just might pose a real challenge!

If I hadn't had the 170 degree "Meister special" T-stat along with the new monster Airaid intake, HEAT Performance heads and Corsa catbacks on my Ocho, then that SSR I stomped might very well have handed me my a$$.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.