LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LX Newbie
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was if i got car jacked and the theft took my key is it possible for the dealer to change the code in the key so that the vehicle wont start. I know the ignition might still surn but is that possible?

·
Formerly HLY CRAP
2,337 Posts
1sthemi said:
Hi i was if i got car jacked and the theft took my key is it possible for the dealer to change the code in the key so that the vehicle wont start. I know the ignition might still surn but is that possible?
You might want to download Google toolbar. It comes with spellcheck. Then proof read your posts, so we can figure out your question.:wink:

·
A Soldiers' Mom
4,562 Posts
I would think that the car is programmed also to that key. If he stole your car with the key in it, wouldn't both have to be changed? I don't think they can reprogram a key without having the key and car. I could be wrong.

·
Power With Control
1,730 Posts
Wait, tell us the whole story. Someone jacked your car, but it was recovered? I"m not sure about deleting a key from the authorized list. Fnkychkn would be the one to know.

·
Chasing Dreams
3,354 Posts
They can do a reset which will turn off all keys, then reprogram for the one you do have. Dealer should be able to handle it. If they aren't sure then just pm me and I will look up the exact sequence in starscan.

·
LX Newbie
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok sorry about the misspelled words..i was typing to fast but heres the story. I was car jacked at home and a few days the car was recovered. I replaced all body pieces and everything that was stolen due to having no-fault insurance. I went on a site called streetkeys.com and that site is like a house call type dealer. They will bring uncut factory keys to your home, then cut them and program it for the car and the reason i went this way is because it was cheaper than the dealer and plus getting the car towed would be even more. But like i was saying my orginal key is out there somewhere and i just dont want to get this key from streetkeys and the person who car jacked me still has a spare for my car thats why im asking is it possible for the dealer to kick that key off or reprogram another code or something so the key that was stolen wouldnt work anymore. Even through they might be able to get into the car atleaset they could steal it.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
a starscan is required to erase all keys. then you can reprogam any key you still have along with any new key you buy to replace the stolen one. this will prevent the engine from running if the thief tries to get your car again using the key he kept. it will not, however, prevent him from getting into your vehicle using the door lock cylinder. in order to prevent this, all keys and cylinders will need to be replaced.

·
A Soldiers' Mom
4,562 Posts
Sorry, didn't know if you had your car back or not. I knew the car and key had to be together to program. Good luck to you, sorry to hear about your car.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Daumn! CARJACKED! What did they take? (You mentioned body panels... anything else?)

That sucks! How is Maggie doin? She come out ok?

Oh - Yeah - Hope you're soing ok too! :wink:

·
Alter ego of MyMaggieMae...
11,785 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car jacking! :sad: Glad you're okay.

If it was me, I'd go with changing the locks. I wouldn't want anyone to even get in the car without some extra effort. Won't your insurance cover the lock change cost? Seems it would be cheaper than another stolen car claim!

·
Builders of the 500rwhp 426's
5,341 Posts
not to jack.........(pun intended)

BUT, to all my fellow Texans; you are now legal to carry a firearm in your car/truck LEGALLY.

Gov. Perry signed into law, that your vehical is private property and therefor there is no need to a CCP in order to carry a weapon (firearm) in ones vehical.

As a permit holder, I carry in my car and on my person.........

In which case I gladly give the car over and disable my attacker in the process thus protecting me, my property, and family.

I highly rec. not having your windows down at stop lights.........

·
Formerly HLY CRAP
2,337 Posts
1sthemi said:
Ok sorry about the misspelled words..i was typing to fast but heres the story. I was car jacked at home and a few days the car was recovered. I replaced all body pieces and everything that was stolen due to having no-fault insurance. I went on a site called streetkeys.com and that site is like a house call type dealer. They will bring uncut factory keys to your home, then cut them and program it for the car and the reason i went this way is because it was cheaper than the dealer and plus getting the car towed would be even more. But like i was saying my orginal key is out there somewhere and i just dont want to get this key from streetkeys and the person who car jacked me still has a spare for my car thats why im asking is it possible for the dealer to kick that key off or reprogram another code or something so the key that was stolen wouldnt work anymore. Even through they might be able to get into the car atleaset they could steal it.
I apologize for the smart alack remarks. This post really explained what happened and I think you got the answers you needed.

Again, I'm sorry. Both for your unfortunate incident and my stupid comment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.