LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have some good pics or tips for installing a switch in the ash tray?
Whats the best way to run wires into it from behind the firewall?

I'm trying to plan my electronic exhaust cutout install.

thanks in advance,
RT4

·
LX Padiwan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great, Hazman, how'd you run the wiring back there?
I'd prefer this switch be hidden in the ash tray, but my main question is how to take thing apart and run wiring.
Thanks,
RT4

·
LX Guru
4,322 Posts
It should be pretty easy.
Take some thin sheetmetal and and make it into a upside down U.
4 Minature beveled (Vshaped) screws screwed from the side to keep it in place.
Remove the cig lighter socket and run the wires through the hole or
Remove the ashtray (if you have one) drill small hole to run the wires through.
If you decide to remove the mod. Just put the ashtray on to cover the holes.

Heres a slick idea, get a cig lighter, disconnect the power to the cig lighter socker and wire up the socket to the mod. Then you can use the lighter to complete the circuit. Completely stock looking.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
If you feel underneath of where the ashtray is, there's a bit of an edge. I haven't looked at it close, but I suspect under the sides (not under the ashtray) some small rocker switches might fit.

I've been considering putting them there. You don't see them, but you can easily reach down and switch them. Right now, I have the Nav2Go switch in the ashtray at the back on the right side, behind the lighter. I also found a switch that fits right in the lighter socket, but I don't want to lose the power connection.

·
Movin and shakin
1,900 Posts
I'm planning on putting my fan switch in there to keep it out of sight of the dealer but still at arms length. I'll probably fab something up to replace the inside of the tray and leave room for more switches. I'll let y'all know when I do it. I'm planning on this week, but I was also planning on having my car for the shindig this weekend :( I cannot personally recommend Stant thermostats anymore.

-Steve

·
LX Padiwan
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice..... still got a few questions.
How do you remove the ash tray, and trim pieces, in order to run the wires into the ash tray?
Is there an easy place in the firewall to run the wires through?
RT4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.