LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing a back up camera soon on my new to me 2006 Magnum R/T ( I cant seem to go back to using mirrors anymore to back this car up well to back into parking spaces etc).

I plan to use the AUTO-VOX V5PRO (AUTO-VOX V5PRO OEM Look Rear View Mirror Camera with Neat Wiring, No Glare Mirror Dash Cam font and rear)
and mount the camera just above the license plate. Has anyone already done something like this and if so any mounting locations and harness routing / install suggestions?

I was looking at this thread but I didn't see any one using a current mirror based option.

Any dos and don'ts going the smart mirror route?

Is is easy to just get power from the map like and old mirror?

Thanks,

Will

· Registered
631 Posts
I installed a license plate camera. I did drill a hole behind the plate to run the wire inside, then ran it down the passenger side under the door sill panels.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Registered
956 Posts
I used this from Amazon

NATIKA Chrome Backup/Front View Camera ,IP69K Waterproof Good Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Chrome Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Chrome) Amazon.com

Ran it all the way to the aftermarket hu. Didn't require hooking up to the reverse light with the unit I had but comes with everything. I mounted mine just to the passenger side of the rear plate light. Close enough to center it won't make a difference and works great. No issues with fog or anything

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

· Registered
36 Posts
I ran my backup camera as wired, I've had too many issues with wireless stuff in my life. I used a license plate mounted one mounted to the top of the rear license plate and ran the wire behind the bumper, through a hole I punched in the rubber grommet for the right side taillight wiring using an awl, pulled the cable through, and then pulled up the carpet and followed the main wiring harness along the floor all the way up to under the dash. It was a bit tedious, but there was plenty of room for the small camera wiring cable and it was fairly easy to use existing clips to hold it in place, with a few well-placed zip ties for the rest. IIRC, the rear bumper didn't need to come off - I was able to access the grommet by removing the taillight and I could fish the cable behind the bumper by working from underneath, zip typing to existing wiring every foot or so.

I made sure to get a camera that used the small 4-pin style cable, vs. the larger yellow RCA connection or the even larger screw together aircraft 4 pin style. The small four pin cables are super easy to snake through tight spaces, like through the small hole I made in the taillight wiring grommet. I used heat shrink tubing over any of the connections on the 4 pin cables so they would stay sealed and never come apart, such as where the short cable from the camera connected to the long extension cable I used to get the wiring up to the dash. At the dash end I used an adaptor to get an RCA plug and the power wires for the camera.

For wiring, I opted to run the camera off the radio power so the camera was able to be on all the time, if desired, instead of only when in reverse. Most aftermarket radios have a "camera view" you can toggle on any time you want to.

I also got tired of catching the front bumper on parking curbs and such, so I mounted a second camera under the front bumper and ran a similar small four pin cable through the firewall, again, using a awl to punch a small hole through a large grommet behind the glovebox. I used the "second camera" function on the radio for this, and it was a huge help for parking closely without damaging the lower part of the bumper. Unfortunately, during my recent engine swap, the front camera cable or possibly the camera was damaged, so I need to redo it when I get a chance. :-(

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mostly done with my set up. Its pretty good but the field of view of the camera is a little deceiving when looking at the right and left sides of the car so you need to rely on mirror more than a typical back up camera IMO. The cables were long and there is a lot of cabling to stuff so I decided to save space and pull the now defunct home link model to save space....this was a BAD idea as turns out this is sparsely populated garage door opener board is the:

"electronic overhead module"

so the car will go into limp mode until it can establish communications with it. This made for a very unhappy test drive as I was running out of day light and need to drive my car to work tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts