LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!! :)

All day long - my SRT8 performed beautifully. But just when I needed it to impress me the most - it failed to do so.

I was on the freeway. A Porsche Carrera convertible [non-turbo] with THREE passengers - and the top DOWN - passes me by about 15 MPH. [we weren't racing] I sped up - naturally - but a big truck keeps us from going too fast. The Porsche ends up behind me. Once past the truck it was clear sailing all the way. The Porsche gets into the other lane and accelerates hard. I push the gas pedal to the floor - but the car doesn't down shift. The Porsche passes me as if I had stopped my car and put it into reverse. I was really pissed off - to put it mildly. Grrr.....

Oh well.... had to get that off my chest. I guess I better go back to the car and apologize. I might have said a few mean things to it.

Craig!!

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
Always gotta be ready to manually drop it it down!

·
LX Padiwan
352 Posts
In "D" the tranny refuses to downshift to 2nd gear above approx. 62 MPH. Floor it at 65 and it feels like a dog. It's my biggest complaint. The new tranny programming that Bandit has will kinda fix it because you'll be able to manually downshift as far as it'll go and then just floor it without worrying about hitting the rev limiter.

·
cbutler32
1,256 Posts
CanadaCraig said:

All day long - my SRT8 performed beautifully. But just when I needed it to impress me the most - it failed to do so.

I was on the freeway. A Porsche Carrera convertible [non-turbo] with THREE passengers - and the top DOWN - passes me by about 15 MPH. [we weren't racing] I sped up - naturally - but a big truck keeps us from going too fast. The Porsche ends up behind me. Once past the truck it was clear sailing all the way. The Porsche gets into the other lane and accelerates hard. I push the gas pedal to the floor - but the car doesn't down shift. The Porsche passes me as if I had stopped my car and put it into reverse. I was really pissed off - to put it mildly. Grrr.....

Oh well.... had to get that off my chest. I guess I better go back to the car and apologize. I might have said a few mean things to it.

Craig!!
craig,
sorry to hear of your loss...
this is why I drive well over 50% of the time in autostick...
unless cruising on the freeway, I am in "gear" always...
and it does not hammer the gas mileage that much...
well...
if you are WOT it does...

get em' next time...
and practice, practice, practice...
so when the time does come you need to step up to the plate and produce for the "family" here (and yourself) you'll be able too...
Sincerely,
cbutler32

·
SRT8Soul
71 Posts
I did race a carrera 4 it was 03 or 05 rolling from 40kmh to 800m I was behind him by a car,me & 2 passengers In my car he was alone killed him like he was stand still & I was more than 50+ meters in front & in the next stop light he took the right turn so we can`t see his face :p .

CanadaCraig Go search for an 03 or 04 carrera S or even new carrera from 0 to what ever you will kill them don`t worry & don`t be mad at your car :).

·
I'm tryin' to think but nuttin' happens
5,151 Posts
Ah yes, we must learn and always be aware of tthe sweet spots. I'll make other cars slow to 60 mph if they want to take me on the highway. If not, I need to wait until 75 to know there will be some good pull.

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
You are sooo going to love the SCtuner when they make it work for you folks!:wink:

·
<==XTRP8R===
599 Posts
bobf said:
Yeah, what's so hard about tweaking it a little to work with the 6.1s?
The "problem" is that DCX did such a superb job of tuning the stock 6.1 that no one has been able to squeeze significantly more out of it than they did with the stock pcm/tcm combination. Combine that with the limited audience (far fewer SRT-8 models than 5.7 Hemi by a factor of at least 10) and there is not much incentive for any tuner company to put out a product for them.

--Hog

·
Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late
6,193 Posts
inferna said:
are you sure you weren't in stick mode and punched it assuming you were in automatic mode?
That CAN happen, it wil bog terribly if you do that!!
The SC Tuner has helped a lot, but still, the Autostick is more efffective.

What is said earlier about the "sweet spot" varies depending on mods, I think my headers and cat back give me much better mid range torque!!

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
little trick i've picked up... automatic trannies will downshift pretty much immediately if you double-pump the throttle fairly quickly. saved my pride once or twice :)

·
LX Padiwan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I appreciate all of the responses. [and the advice] And believe you me - I will never again [I hope!!] make the mistake of starting a 'race' at 65 or so mph.

And [in response to one of your questions] NO - the transmission was definitely in 'D' and not in 'AutoStick'. That was the first thing I checked after being so utterly humiliated. [I haven't left the house since] lol :p

Craig!! :)

·
Peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat
451 Posts
Unless you had it in "5" and didn't realize it it definetely downshifted from 5th to 3rd.

However,

62MPH is where the 6200RPM shift point is. Do a quick jaunt from 0-60 and you'll feel it shift into third at about 60-62MPH at redline.

I agree it feels like a dog, especially when someone's passing you, because 3rd is so tall it takes time to wind out because you're at a lower RPM (lower power ouput) for so long.

It's not the tranny in "D" vs. autostick at all, it's the gearing and engine speed that limit at that MPH. Auto stick doesn't let you shift into 2nd after 62MPH.

In my experience with this, cruising at about 80-90MPH is the best speed to be at on the highway when you nail it. It jumps and holds peak power perfectly.

·
Srt 8 Magnum
18 Posts
I had a new GTO jump on it beside me, took it up to about 5,000 rpm's in first and it shut off. Next light I shifted sooner, beat him twice. Got off to myself and tried it again, At 5,000 it just stops for a second or two. No problem if I shift before 5,000...help

·
<==XTRP8R===
599 Posts
SRT8Magnum said:
I had a new GTO jump on it beside me, took it up to about 5,000 rpm's in first and it shut off. Next light I shifted sooner, beat him twice. Got off to myself and tried it again, At 5,000 it just stops for a second or two. No problem if I shift before 5,000...help
Leave the car in "D". From a light, ESP off, A/C off, hold your brake with left foot and raise RPM to about 900-1000 while you wait for the light. When the light turns green take your left foot off the brake and ROLL the throttle down (don't hammer it) at the same time. Watch GTO recede in rear view mirror as the automatic transmission times your shifts perfectly at redline.

--Hog

·
Srt 8 Magnum
18 Posts
Thanks........funny......lol. I am a long time racer, just don't think it should shut off at 5,000. That little GTO ran pretty good, but we only raced a short distance. I had him by a car. We race NASCAR late model...bang them up.....

·
<==XTRP8R===
599 Posts
SRT8Magnum said:
Thanks........funny......lol. I am a long time racer, just don't think it should shut off at 5,000. That little GTO ran pretty good, but we only raced a short distance. I had him by a car. We race NASCAR late model...bang them up.....
You still think it "shut off at 5,000"? I think it is shutting off when you redline it. The analog tach in your car lags realtime by a bunch, and in the moment it takes you to execute a manual shift with the autostick you have run right up to redline and beyond where the fuel cutoff takes over to save your engine.

Trust the digital tach, not the analog. And use "D" as I told you before since the car will shift right at redline for you without hitting the fuel shutoff - unless you are plagued by the infamous 1-2 stumble shift that a few SRT-8 models have.

Anyone who seriously thinks they can consistently shift the car better than the automatic is badly misinformed.

--Hog

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.