LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok - so I'm leaving our fantastic Mopar owners club Car show in Manassas, VA at the Chrysler dealership. (80 % old school muscle - hnadfull of 2000+ cars)

Minding my own business (as always) and I see another car leaving the show (from the alternate entry/exit) at the same time onto the main thoroughfare turning in the same direction I'm headed - headed my way.

He must have seen me waiting to turn left becuase he got into it, held up and eased over to the right lane... giving me an excellent opportunity to 'jump' out into traffic and nestle in side by side in a relative traffic free stretch of asphalt.

we are going slow - say 30MPH - he never let me get ahead... but we toyed with short bursts of accelleration (2-3 seconds)... both grinning like silly children.

The end result was never in doubt... but I had to follow thru..

so my right foot goes down unleashing all the fury I can muster out of a cold 5.7L stock RT Maggie....

and his foot goes down unleashing all the fury of his 1970 426 HEMI RoadRunner...

All I have to say is that I had the honor of accelerating thru a thin mystical cloud of blue hued smoke as I grinned uncontrollably. I think (hope) he stuck his hand out the window and gave me a tumb up... but it he was so far away it could as easily been any digit he chose and I can't be sure.

I suppose it would be a similar feeling to be 10yrs old and loose to grandpa at arm-wrestling... You never expect to win... and you're proud to be part of the heritage that breeds such strength.

It wasn't a kill - heck - it wasn't even a wounding... but I had to share my 'death by hemi' with everyone...

Oh and by the way... If any other RT's are thinking about going up against older HEMI's , I can thoroughly recommend that you do... as long as you're not expecting to win. I haven't hooked horns with a SRT8 yet, but I'm sure they would make the 'old vs new' more competitive .... but I think I'd have to put my money on the old B-body with a properly tuned 426 HEMI. That thing was a beast.

·
Fossil Fuel Aficionado
11,025 Posts
Gotta give you credit for giving it a shot!

·
What part should we make next???
6,932 Posts
Maybe it was 5 speed... Clutch... Yeah.. He meant clutch...

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Ok, hold your hands out at arms length... turn them both so your palms are away from you... point your thumbs towards each other...

Now, the looking at the back of your hands... the one that makes an "L" is the left one.

Please go back and edit your post. After you do, I am sure that everyone else here will have a better understanding of it, and remove any references to your brake pedal or being cross footed...

Thanks,

Don

wbornio said:
so my left foot goes down unleashing all the fury I can muster out of a cold 5.7L stock RT Maggie....

·
05 Magnum 6.1L Pro Street
2,052 Posts
that old hemispherical head is where it all started. U can't mess with that!!

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
steve68 said:
:wink: No wonder he beat you you had one foot on the brake.
DOH! Left - right - there is a difference?

I'm certain I lost cause I was using the wrong lever.

(note to admins... really missing the slap my own forehead smiley...)

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GasGunR said:
Ok, hold your hands out at arms length... turn them both so your palms are away from you... point your thumbs towards each other...

Now, the looking at the back of your hands... the one that makes an "L" is the left one.

Please go back and edit your post. After you do, I am sure that everyone else here will have a better understanding of it, and remove any references to your brake pedal or being cross footed...

Thanks,

Don
Correction made - sometimes the brain shuts off in mid sentence....

thanks for catching it ... damn... now which foot did I use...

·
Threadkiller.........see?
3,099 Posts
HA! That was fun to read. I've got a big silly grin on my face right NOW!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
NO EXCUSES WAYNE!! Go hang your head in shame....

LOL...sounds like fun. We went to a later church mass today and I promised my sweetie a movie and dinner, so we didn't go. Hope to make it to this Friday's meet.

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Like to see a do over from a standing stop... was it an 833 or TF?

I would love to have that oportunity even if I did get my A$$ handed to me:)

Don

·
LX Enthusiast
730 Posts
I beg to differ.

The STOCK 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner with the 426 HEMI does 0-60 in 5.3 sec, 1/4 mile in 13.49 sec @ 105 mph.

If the car you were running with was stock you should have been very close, and an SRT8 should be able to beat it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.