LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....an ear infection!

Inner and outer! Now I have to take pills that would choke a horse and use ear drops.

How annoying.

·
I-495 Hater
5,026 Posts
what causes that stuff? Like blowing your nose too hard or something when you have plugged up sinuses?

·
Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late
6,193 Posts
BMWDON said:
what causes that stuff? Like blowing your nose too hard or something when you have plugged up sinuses?
Yep, gotta be carefull!! It actually can cause pressure in the ear if you get carried away!
Most causes are water related, even showering can cause an infection.
The atibiotics and prescription ear drops do a good job.

I always bring the prescription meds along on vacation. Pools, snorkeling, etc. someone is bound to need them....Bipto....

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most anything can cause an ear infection.

Most of the time, however, it is cause when water gets trapped behind the ear drum and can not drain through the eustacian tube in to the throat as it normally does. The water gets stagnant, and bam! Ear infection.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That is THE most uncomfortable thing in the world! I had one 3 years ago and it made me so damn cranky. The pain was just a low throb and it just would frustrate the living S out of me. Then, every once in a while, the pain would just increase for a second then subside back to the low throb. It was like ocean waves. Absoultly miserable!

Have we cheered you up yet?!?! :wink:

Nick

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My ears have been bothering me for a few days, but last night there was some pain associated with it, so I decided to suck it up and have it checked out.

Ear infections were a more often than not occurance for me as a kid. I remember the pain vividly, I didn't want to wait it out and have that kind of hurt this go around.

·
Alter ego of MyMaggieMae...
11,785 Posts
TehKing said:
My ears have been bothering me for a few days, but last night there was some pain associated with it, so I decided to suck it up and have it checked out.
Sorry to "hear" this! :mrgreen:

I hope it clears up soon. My wife had a very severe ear infection many years ago. Even though she went to a doctor and was taking medication for it, the doctors think it was a contributing factor for the meningitis she came down with.

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
MAGNUM8R said:
Yep, gotta be carefull!! It actually can cause pressure in the ear if you get carried away!
Most causes are water related, even showering can cause an infection.
The atibiotics and prescription ear drops do a good job.

I always bring the prescription meds along on vacation. Pools, snorkeling, etc. someone is bound to need them....Bipto....
Don't even get me started on this subject! I get like 4 - 8 of them per year. I'm prone to them because of a "eustacian tube disfunction," as Matt pointed out. Doctor thinks it may be caused by scar tissue in the tube from past infections as an adolescent. For me they're triggered by colds, allergies, particulates, swimming / water-bourne bacteria, etc. What's worse is that, where my infections reside in the inner ear or the tubes themselves, I typically show none of the redness / inflammation in my outer ear that would alert a doctor of an infection, so when I went for my first doc visit, he'd send me home because he couldn't see anything wrong! It wasn't until three days later, when I'd return with an obnoxious cough, a pressurized ear drum, and a 103 degree fever that he would prescribe antibiotics! Pain in the a$$!

LOL - thanks for the Cipro, '8R - it did the trick!

And Matt, take all of the meds - the whole prescription. If my doctor's scar tissue theory is correct, you don't want this infection hanging around or coming back on you! Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.