LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new to the forum, tried to introduce myself but for some reason when I clicked new thread it did nothing. I will try again later and give you guys the full lowdown on myself. Anyway... We just bought my wife a 2005 Magnum and the HVAC controls quit working and the airbag light is on. I took it to a dealership and they put it on the diagnostic and its something to do with a open ignition circuit. I did a search on here and found that there has been some people on here with the same problem but never says what the fix is. Its got to be something stupid, if anyone could help me out that would be awesome. I live in Michigan and right now its about 15 degrees and we have no heat so it kinda sucks! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Anyone else have any ideas? No heat really sucks! Gotta be something simple...
Listen to the mighty Chicken... He is one of our resident Chryco Techs. Follow the ways of the Capon... the knowledge is strong with this one!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I checked for everything as instructed and I do get power at the red/orange wire with the key on, I get power at the red/yellow wire with the key off and I am getting ground at the black/light green wire. Can anyone think of anything else to try? When the hvac control is plugged in the lights come on for defrost and ac, and you can hear the ac compressor turning on and off when switched. I wouldnt think this would have anything to do with it but I did remove my cig lighter to mount the digital controller for the air-ride there so there is nothing plugged in. Didnt know if it was one of those closed loop type of deals. Anyone???

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
Mine did that one night, and they replaced the ignition switch to fix. Do you by chance have aftermarket remote start or alarm?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All I have done is install a aftermarket headunit, amp, subs and air bags. How much was it to fix it? Im trying to fix it myself if not at least figure it out, Im not really into the 87 dollars an hour that the local dodge dealership charges.

·
What'd I miss?
23,442 Posts
i'm starting to think i didn't quite understand your first post. when you said "the HVAC controls quit working", exactly what doesn't work? (fan, temp control, mode control).

which airbag light is illuminated? (cluster, above radio).

i was going with the assumption that the HVAC controls were completely unresponsive. the HVAC control head and center switch bank (which houses the PADL) are both fed by fuse #40.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The lights come on for the ac and defrost, I can here the ac comp. turn on and off and I can here some faint clicking type of noises when clicking thru the speeds. Thats all it does, no blowing whatsoever. The airbag light that is on is the one in the cluster. Sorry if I was confusing as to what is going on.. If you can think of anything at all please let me know.. Thanks!

·
What'd I miss?
23,442 Posts
disconnect blower motor (2 way) connector and install a test light between the 2 pins. with key on the test light should illuminate. the intensity will vary with speed selection switch. if OK you need a blower motor. if light does not illuminate, check for power at pin 2 (blue wire) of blower motor connector. if no power, check for power to both sides of fuse 42 in PDC (power distribution center/rear fuse box).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we are getting somewhere! I put the test light on the blower motor and didnt get any power coming out of the connecter, checked both sides of fuse 42 and had no power on either side of the fuse. What should I look for next as to why I wouldnt be getting any power to the fuse. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok heres the skinny.. I removed the relay and checked for power at the relay and it was good. I installed a jumper wire and I did get power at the fuse and the blower did work with the jumper wire. I then tried swapping the relay with another one in the fuse box and it still didnt work.. Where do we go from here? Thanks!! Also would it be ok to run it with the jumper wire in there for now so I at least have some heat, its 10 degrees I think here today so heat would be great...

1 - 20 of 115 Posts