LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chasing a noise lately finding a rattling ABS cable clip on a rear brake shield. Secured that and noticed another.
I folded the rear seats down to get a better ear on things and after fixing the one mentioned I noticed another.
Its very light, something perhaps gear heads like us would only take notice of.

It only does it after the car is up to full operation temps, can only be heard at a slow roll. I ruled out the exhaust, it had me thinking my Corsa dual tips were lightly touching the diffuser but a couple wooden wedges and test drive ruled it out, its not the tunnel braces, those would be much louder.

Happening only when hot I disconnected the drive shaft, removed the wheels and checked the diff, its OK, center carrier bearing and u-joint are OK.

I grabbed the axles twisting and pulling but know not much about trouble shooting those. With the wheels on and off the ground I used a long bar to move the suspension up and down looking for trouble but didn't hear it.

Heh, emptied the trunk including the spare tire stuff. Can't nail it.

Would a axle do this when in the 1st stages of going out? Would love the pull the sword out of the stone.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Its very light, can only be heard at a slow roll.
Hi Gapi,
I had a similar sound (more like distinctive very light ticking) at 5-10 mph,
at first, they suspected brake calipers, then axle, but it turned out to be the inner bushing:

Here:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tread Bumper

and here:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Good luck !

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I have her in the air, wheels off, calipers and rotors off, and have been moving things finding no sign of bushing wear or movement unbecoming a sound suspension.
I have a bud coming over this weekend that will operate one of the floor jacks on the a-arms so I can get eyes closer to the pivots.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still looking for it. Getting more noticeable. Really only a noise a gearhead like some of us would notice.
Yesterday as I lifted out of the drivers seat I heard it. Heh, could be a shock, anything I guess. I'm not setup to go after it so putting it into a shop soon.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Hemissary

Well we put her in the air and moved everything not finding any obvious signs of wear.
It will only make the noise when the car suspension back there is up to operating temp. From in the cabin is a subtle noise sounding like something that is sticking is breaking free. As said before at low speeds, like driveway speeds.

I'm going to pull the shocks tomorrow, they are Bastien B6 units with 75k miles. Thing is they will not be hot and all I can do is stroke them. With them off maybe I can get a different observation when moving the arms up and down.

Anyone ever hear of a sticky shock making this kind of noise?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Have you checked your pinion bushing. I know they wear. I’ve replaced mine. Some have described the noise similar to what your hearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
It will only make the noise when the car suspension back there is up to operating temp.
Gapi,
Are you certain this is a matter of operating temp?
consider the effect of weight and lack off when the car is settling down from the left.
On my car, as I've said earlier:
changed caliber mounts, rear shocks, springs, checked all hoses, differential fluids, hoses, ratllings etc no joy!
Identical noise as a fainted tick coming out of grandfather clock. tic tic tic @ 2-10 mph
noise will disappear for 1/2- 1 hour once the car comes down the lift (lack of weight then weight?)
perhaps, it takes some time for things to settle down to hear the ticks again? making you think operating temp? idk.
it was impossible to detect (the inner bushing movement) even with the longest bar, zero movement.
Finally, this crazy, well smart mechanic, went under, held the rear arm with his hand while someone rolled the car.
he felt the ticking then replace all bushing, the good and the bad ones on both sides....problem solved.

All the best!

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys,

Yes, when cold it is silent. The diff is fine. Already went over it being an open diff I converted to Wavetrac internals I was interested.
The other day I listened to it as I backed up my driveway. After shutting the car off, as I lifted off the seat I heard it make the noise. Gotta be suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The suggestion of the pinion bearing or anything differential haunted me a little. I did pull the wheels and DS off the flange a while back and checked her out finding nothing using an indicator. Today I sealed the deal on that.

Its getting worse, listening to it as I rolled my driveway I took it onto the fresh smooth blacktop road in front of my house and nothing. It needs road imperfections to sound off.

I'm gonna keep this updated but its going to take a while. I have several things going on and another vehicle to drive. There is a dealership I trust in the next county is one choice. I'm looking for a more local recommended shop nearer.
I will insist on seeing the worn parts and post pics.
The noise is a muffled popping.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Speedy did a great write up on this on another forum but I think all that content is gone. He was describing it exactly how you are. Checking everything. Which led to all of us replacing them. Mine wasn’t bad at all nor was Brucer41’s
I will add that jays car was a stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts