LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chasing a noise lately finding a rattling ABS cable clip on a rear brake shield. Secured that and noticed another.
I folded the rear seats down to get a better ear on things and after fixing the one mentioned I noticed another.
Its very light, something perhaps gear heads like us would only take notice of.

It only does it after the car is up to full operation temps, can only be heard at a slow roll. I ruled out the exhaust, it had me thinking my Corsa dual tips were lightly touching the diffuser but a couple wooden wedges and test drive ruled it out, its not the tunnel braces, those would be much louder.

Happening only when hot I disconnected the drive shaft, removed the wheels and checked the diff, its OK, center carrier bearing and u-joint are OK.

I grabbed the axles twisting and pulling but know not much about trouble shooting those. With the wheels on and off the ground I used a long bar to move the suspension up and down looking for trouble but didn't hear it.

Heh, emptied the trunk including the spare tire stuff. Can't nail it.

Would a axle do this when in the 1st stages of going out? Would love the pull the sword out of the stone.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Its very light, can only be heard at a slow roll.
Hi Gapi,
I had a similar sound (more like distinctive very light ticking) at 5-10 mph,
at first, they suspected brake calipers, then axle, but it turned out to be the inner bushing:

Here:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tread Bumper

and here:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Good luck !

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I have her in the air, wheels off, calipers and rotors off, and have been moving things finding no sign of bushing wear or movement unbecoming a sound suspension.
I have a bud coming over this weekend that will operate one of the floor jacks on the a-arms so I can get eyes closer to the pivots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts