LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took some of the pictures of the other magnums with the mouldings shved off the sides and just left them on the computer minimized....My wife just "happened" to come into the computer room and saw what her maggy could look like with shved sides. She all but insisted that I do it yesterday.

I had a MUCH harder time than most of the other stories I have heard. My car was built almost 2 years ago so the mouldings and the tape have been sitting there for a long time.

The strips pulled right off but left the foam tape on the car. I spent almost 3 hours out there with Goo-Gone gel....Buyg & tar remover....soap.....water....sponges....razor blades....etc. and finally got it all off....and guess what....I HAVE BUBBLES......LOTS of bubbles....both front doors have them, but neither rear door. The drivers side is MUCH worse than the passenger side. We'll have to see how they look in a month or so....see if they diminish at all or not. The only good news is that they are so small that you can't really see them unless you look for them.

Good news was that even though the car has been sitting in the NC sun for 2 years, no ghosting issues what so ever.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Looks good - still on the fence on this mod -I still believe it offers some protection for my urban use vehicle - so for now they are staying on.

I heard that heat is key - on a hot sunny day after hrs in the direct sun, it may have been less trouble.

Now you just need to 'leave open' that pic of the 20'' wheels, and the twin turbo, and the....

·
Wish I were in Wonderland
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wbornio said:
I heard that heat is key - on a hot sunny day after hrs in the direct sun, it may have been less trouble.
Yeh, I heard the same thing about the heat....it was 101 when I did this yesterday and the car had been in the sun for 5-6 hours before hand. I think is was just the fact that the tape has been on there for 2 years now.

wbornio said:
Now you just need to 'leave open' that pic of the 20'' wheels, and the twin turbo, and the....
I did....I left open a few pics of the whieels I like and she LOVES them....she told me that I HAVE to get these....OH DARN....Wife is MAKEING me get Foose Nitrous in Gray....not my car, but what it will look like....

·
I'm releasing the flying monkeys!
1,468 Posts
Looks great from here!
I also love those Foose, except for the rivets. Too much work to keep clean for me. I can tell I'm getting old...

·
Addicted to Power
800 Posts
i don't like the side mouldings either but man they help here in az with the old farts and door dings! i sat in my car today after a lady pulled in next to me she threw the door open and then reached and caught it before it smacked my car! she saw me watching and she looked like she was in heart failure! She was nice and said she need to pay maore attention!

·
Absent From Malaise
4,553 Posts
The tape comes off much easier if you flood the area with WD40. Don't use razor blades man. Your lucky if you didn't scratch your clear all to crap. Use a credit card and don't use to much friction. Keep the wd40 coming as you go down the car. The key is lubrication.

I feel fortunate that I didn't get bubbles after all these posts. I hope the bubbles go away after a while. Your car does look much better though dude! Will look great with the new wheels.

·
Formerly HLY CRAP
2,337 Posts
AZ300C said:
i don't like the side mouldings either but man they help here in az with the old farts and door dings! i sat in my car today after a lady pulled in next to me she threw the door open and then reached and caught it before it smacked my car! she saw me watching and she looked like she was in heart failure! She was nice and said she need to pay maore attention!
With almost every modification, there's a price to be paid. With air bags, as an example, you invest $4000-$5000 so you car looks radical....when it's parked.

Removing side moldings require you parking in the most remote area and angled. Then just a little longer walk. If you park where someone parks alongside of you, you are not a candidate for this mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.