LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after three years in our house it looks like we will have to have the fan motor replaced........for the THIRD F'N TIME!!!!

The brand we have now is Heil. I am contimplating replacing the entire unit with a different brand.

Can anyone recomend a good replacement? I'm thinking a Trane or Lennox.

·
Retired Xeroid
1,071 Posts
I got a Lennox in 1994. It is still running. I spent the extra $$ to get a high efficiency scroll compressor; it was a good decision since it is a LOT quieter.

The only problem that we had was at installation. We had a rumbling resonances whenever the four-way valve reversed (during the defrost cycle in the Heat mode). The dealer (Feldman) stood by us and worked the issue until it was fixed. His efforts included replacing the four-way valve (a significant undertaking!), but in the end it was a harmonic unique to the run length of the tubing. An additional accumulator tank resolved the problem finally.

During a recent checkup I got into a lengthy conversation with the tech. about the new units. I definitely did NOT understand the issue but you may want to delve into it. Apparently there are two types of refrigerant currently in production, one is retrofittable forward to the future standard and one is not...I can't remember the designators. Pick the right one!

Good luck.

·
Retired Xeroid
1,071 Posts
And BTW and additional bit of info. When we lived in Mexico we had two Carrier mini-split units; one in the bedroom (AC only) and one in the living room (Heat Pump). They were the biggest POS's I have ever seen (made in the USA!). While they cooled OK, the heat pump continuously froze up and had to be reset several times a day.

·
mr.clean
76 Posts
Im a heating cooling contractor. I use Amer. Std. (Trane) Rheem and Fridgidaire. Most Equipment is the Same. Compressors by one company

·
mr.clean
76 Posts
Sorry about that. did something wrong. cont. condensor coils by someone else and p;ut together by someone els. The fan motor you replaced is probably an inexpensive (read cheap;) replacement. Unless it came from the manf. Sometimes they are not all that good. I can make a service call. Bring my Mag. Slight charge for travel

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the offer mr. clean. Turns out this time it was a capasitor. $12.00 for the part. $80.00 for the service call. The technition said the switch looked like it had about a year left on it but he could replace it now if I wanted. I'll wait and just replace the whole unit next year.

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
Have heard that American Standard is very good..................

Bob

·
Faster than the speed of dark!
326 Posts
You may be over-amping your motor and causing premature failure. The less restrictive your ductwork is, the more air you move, and because the motor only knows to run at the same RPM all the time, moving more air means more power - therefore more amps. Leaving the cover off the furnace or having the wrong filter size/no filter will overheat your motor.

Have someone check the amp draw. If it is high get a better motor or increase the restrictions in your ductwork. A good way to fix this is to install a higher quality filter. It will reduce the amount of airflow and increase your indoor air quality.

·
mr.clean
76 Posts
FOHN_JARGO said:
Thanks for the offer mr. clean. Turns out this time it was a capasitor. $12.00 for the part. $80.00 for the service call. The technition said the switch looked like it had about a year left on it but he could replace it now if I wanted. I'll wait and just replace the whole unit n
ext year.
I wonder if the cap. was original. usually replace them with motor lol

·
LX Padiwan
1,758 Posts
I had an OLD AC. At 21 it needed a contactor (high voltage "relay" like gizmo). While I was in there I put new wires to the compressor.

At 27 a bearing in the fan motor died. It was time- it was replaced with a new American Standard high efficiency.

The US government has tax incentives for this year and next for some energy efficient stuff ( $300 for heat pumps with 15 SEER).

Here is a link:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

How old is your AC? Seems like it is less than reliable.

·
No longer sporting dual R/T's!
9,301 Posts
had two Carrier mini-split units; one in the bedroom (AC only) and one in the living room (Heat Pump). They were the biggest POS's I have ever seen (made in the USA!). While they cooled OK, the heat pump continuously froze up and had to be reset several times a day.
Sorry to bust your bubble on that one - while they may be designed in the USA, all carrier production went to mexico a number of years ago - remember NAFTA?

That's one reason that East Syracuse is a ghost town, the plant that employed thousands is an empty rusting wasteland, or at least it was the last time I was there. I'll get some pics in a couple of weeks when I go through Syracuse.

I did many a service call at Carrier back 'in the day'...

Mike

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Over 3000 of my fellow Sheet Metal Workers International Union members lost thier jobs from this plant. It was the most profitable plant Carrier operated at the time.

By the way, I think I heard the Mexico plant only lasted a year or so, Poland was cheaper.

Don

MikeEast said:
Sorry to bust your bubble on that one - while they may be designed in the USA, all carrier production went to mexico a number of years ago - remember NAFTA?

That's one reason that East Syracuse is a ghost town, the plant that employed thousands is an empty rusting wasteland, or at least it was the last time I was there. I'll get some pics in a couple of weeks when I go through Syracuse.

Mike

·
LX Padiwan
344 Posts
:waah:

I spent a little time with an AC repairman Monday. I was out Sunday morning cutting back the weeds that grew around the pad the AC unit sits on. The gas-powered edger (with the metal blade) got a little too close to the 240V power feeding the unit...

I tore the he!! out of the sheathing protecting the wires, but didn't touch the wires themselves. The tech told me the power wouldn't have hit me if I had cut the wires, but that didn't help me Sunday when I was shaking like a leaf.... :grin:

·
Conspicuous Combustion . . .
6,084 Posts
FOHN_JARGO said:
Well, after three years in our house it looks like we will have to have the fan motor replaced........for the THIRD F'N TIME!!!!

The brand we have now is Heil. I am contimplating replacing the entire unit with a different brand.

Can anyone recomend a good replacement? I'm thinking a Trane or Lennox.
Is that the interior fan, or exterior unit fan? We have 2 units -- both Lennox (heat pumps) -- now 14 years old. Think we replaced one exterior fan motor 6-7 years ago. I'd like to replace with 16+ SEER (current units are 11 SEER I think).

·
Retired Xeroid
1,071 Posts
MikeEast said:

Mike
Yeah, I remember NAFTA...that's what I was doing in Mexico for nine years!

You may be right about the source, but it was in 1992. So the units were probably made in 1991 and I'm pretty sure they were US made. When did the move-out from SYR take place?

·
Ka CHOW!
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shelby said:
I had an OLD AC. At 21 it needed a contactor (high voltage "relay" like gizmo). While I was in there I put new wires to the compressor.

At 27 a bearing in the fan motor died. It was time- it was replaced with a new American Standard high efficiency.

The US government has tax incentives for this year and next for some energy efficient stuff ( $300 for heat pumps with 15 SEER).

Here is a link:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits

How old is your AC? Seems like it is less than reliable.
The unit is only three years old. You are correct that it is less than reliable.:sad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.