LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MSRT8
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there's only one current U.S. available production wagon that's able to run with our srt-8 magnums...... the e55 Merc. wagon...... and last night I ran up on one :)pepper: ). For those that don't know, these cars are recognizable by their quad tailpipes and v8 Kompressor logos on their front quarters. Now, I know that if we're magazine bench racing this car is faster but last night on I-26 between Columbia and Charleston noone was reading any magazines. So here's how it went .......

75 - 110 Even
80 - 120 Even
85 - 138 Even

I was following behind him because as soon as there was a break in traffic he would nail it. Yes, I would have loved to have been able to pull beside him and go at 3 honks but he never waited. As soon as I saw his tail squat I would nail it. In that split second he would pull a fraction and then I was glued to his bumper. Now, I don't believe in a "tie" but he slowed way down and was done. He waved me on and smiled enthusiastically. I gave the thumbs up. There were temp tags on so it I'm sure it was exciting for him as well.

The rest of the facts are this:
I had a passenger, over 3/4 of a tank of fuel, and 50 pounds of luggage
My EVIC oil temp was reading 240 and outside temp was 94 and humid as hell
His car - brand new and not broken in
He had no passenger

There's no question he hammered the throttle and there's no question he didn't walk me. It's hard to say if the space between us grew at all, even a small amount, but I didn't pass him either. My passenger insisted that it felt each time like I was either glued to his bumper or about to run over his [email protected]@ over. And one thing's for sure...... if you gave us a couple more seconds of open highway on that last run, he would have bounced off his 155 speed limiter and I damn sure would have run him over.

I led the rest of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Great story

PapaZ said:
Well, there's only one current U.S. available production wagon that's able to run with our srt-8 magnums...... the e55 Merc. wagon...... and last night I ran up on one :)pepper: ). For those that don't know, these cars are recognizable by their quad tailpipes and v8 Kompressor logos on their front quarters. Now, I know that if we're magazine bench racing this car is faster but last night on I-26 between Columbia and Charleston noone was reading any magazines. So here's how it went .......

75 - 110 Even
80 - 120 Even
85 - 138 Even

I was following behind him because as soon as there was a break in traffic he would nail it. Yes, I would have loved to have been able to pull beside him and go at 3 honks but he never waited. As soon as I saw his tail squat I would nail it. In that split second he would pull a fraction and then I was glued to his bumper. Now, I don't believe in a "tie" but he slowed way down and was done. He waved me on and smiled enthusiastically. I gave the thumbs up. There were temp tags on so it I'm sure it was exciting for him as well.

He had no passenger

There's no question he hammered the throttle and there's no question he didn't walk me. It's hard to say if the space between us grew at all, even a small amount, but I didn't pass him either. My passenger insisted that it felt each time like I was either glued to his bumper or about to run over his [email protected]@ over. And one thing's for sure...... if you gave us a couple more seconds of open highway on that last run, he would have bounced off his 155 speed limiter and I damn sure would have run him over.

I led the rest of the time.
All that was missing was Gary Cooper and the smoking gun (or was it Henry Fonda) Well, you knwo what I mean (I hope)

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
PapaZ said:
He had no passenger
Always becareful about consoling yourself with facts like these. Since you can't account for what is in his car, it doesn't help to mention yours.

For all you know, he had a full tank of gas, 500lbs of mulch, and an oil temp of 250.

How do you know his car wasn't broken in?

·
MSRT8
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
67alecto said:
Always becareful about consoling yourself with facts like these. Since you can't account for what is in his car, it doesn't help to mention yours.

For all you know, he had a full tank of gas, 500lbs of mulch, and an oil temp of 250.

How do you know his car wasn't broken in?
Well, I'm sure I don't need consoling.
Just presenting the adjunctive facts, which are helpful to most people in understanding the story. And I mentioned his temp tags because that was a fact ... it obviously appeared as a brand new car... but it's nice of you to make excuses for him.

·
3,450 Posts
PapaZ said:
but it's nice of you to make excuses for him.
Someone better - with all of your excuses, it's only fair for the other guy.

And as far as the temp tags, maybe he bought it used and didn't transfer plates?

Maybe he bought it new, but has put 5k miles on it in the first two weeks driving it all over the country.

·
MSRT8
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
67alecto said:
Someone better - with all of your excuses, it's only fair for the other guy.

And as far as the temp tags, maybe he bought it used and didn't transfer plates?

Maybe he bought it new, but has put 5k miles on it in the first two weeks driving it all over the country.

They weren't excuses that I don't need anyway, I just gave the facts surrounding the situation. And if his car had been driven 5K miles or was used it's even worse for him. It technically would have been faster broken in which takes that excuse away from him...... hey, I thought you were making excuses for him?

·
3,450 Posts
PapaZ said:
They weren't excuses that I don't need anyway, I just gave the facts surrounding the situation. And if his car had been driven 5K miles or was used it's even worse for him. It technically would have been faster broken in which takes that excuse away from him...... hey, I thought you were making excuses for him?
Hey, calm down. There's two schools of thought here.

First: I lost, but it's not my fault because xyz
Second: run whut ya brung

·
MSRT8
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
67alecto said:
Hey, calm down. There's two schools of thought here.

First: I lost, but it's not my fault because xyz
Second: run whut ya brung
I hear ya, but I didn't understand you because obviously I didn't lose. I didn't declare it a kill, however, because I didn't feel that was accurate either.... even if he got passed or gave up or whatever. It was just meant to be a good, fun story like the experience was for me. And, for the record, if there are two schools of thought I'm in whichever one slams the gas first and saves the qestions for later.

·
Charger SRT8
202 Posts
Don't know why these guys are giving you a hard time. Sounds like a sweet couple runs. I'm just glad to hear they don't blow our doors off, at least in this case.

I've never seen an e55 wagon. Those things are ultra rare. Supposed to be even quicker than the e55 sedans.

·
MSRT8
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it! Probably won't ever get another chance to run one (and to my knowledge noone else has either) so it was a very lucky experience indeed. Thanks for the props.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.