LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Praise the Lowered!
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a local transmission shop install a trans for me. I gave them a couple good used units and asked them to build me a good one and install. This included internals from a NAG1 I’ve owned since new.

They couldn’t really road test it because my brand new motor was having some issues with a bad vaccum leak. I took the car, worked on the motor and a while later finally got around to driving the car.

I had an issue with the starter wire that I mentioned. Was I being a dick?

Attached are two screenshots and my work order. This is my only and single communication with him since I got my car back. And the whole thing about zip ties and stuff- I’m literally at a loss. If it was zip tied in, it wouldn’t have ever started. The starters torque would snap them. I’m really confused man, my starter was bolted.

As far as I’m concerned, starter is part of the installation.

I don’t know how to respond to him. I really don’t want to fight. But look at my work order. Not a single note. Not even mileage.

What do I say back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Lost cause
4,390 Posts
The zip tie thing is a misunderstanding. He's saying they didn't disturb your starter wire harness routing because when they removed the starter they zip tied it into place.

If he's legitimately at the ICU with his son then I would expect him to be a bit shook and might have responded to you hastily.

Doesn't make the situation any better with your starter wiring and transmission behavior, but maybe take a step back and get a clearer look at it before the situation gets any worse. You do want to be able to depend on this shop to make the transmission right.

Richard

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
Yeah, sounds to me like personal issues on his end are leading him to snap back in response to your issues. I'm also guessing that since you brought him a mixed bag of items to make one good unit out of, he approached it with the mindset that there would be problems. You just got him in a bad moment. Nobody's fault, just bad timing.

You must have a really good previous working relationship with this shop, because I'm not sure anyone would have accepted all of my parts and pieces around here and taken on that job to make one good unit. I'd say give it the "24 hour" cool-down period before any more communications.

Reactions: Jay Z

·
Praise the Lowered!
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've had a week to think this through. I've typed up my response but haven't sent it.

___

Here's how the process played out, and these are actual facts- so pay close attention. Installed starter (with bolts mind you), started car. Car got one block, trans went out. Car got towed. So if the starter was out like you say, and actually zip tied, how did the torque from the starter not rip the zip ties to shreds? How did the car even initially start? So for this claim, it's wrong. The starter was bolted in. Either you are mistaken or you are lying. I really have no idea where this claim came from. Not going to lie- you have me scratching my head on this one. I can't believe you did this then actually blamed the customer. Wow.

This is where I'm getting worried about you- right out of the gate you are dead wrong and blaming the customer. So what else are you lying about? None of this is noted on the service order, no mention of damages, no documentation, no mileage. You didn't even put the current mileage on the work order. What was the mileage when it was installed? I need to know. Every shop I've managed, techs document issues/damage and mileage. It's part of the job. In the last 5 years, I ran an auto shop that was #5 in the nation out of 2578 stores. My (old) company has deep pockets. You think I don't know what it's like for customers to make claims? I really don't think you have a true idea of the number of claims people try to make. One of my last ones was after a simple battery install, the entire key tumbler fell out of the ignition, and we were blamed. So I know how this works, trust me. There has to be a correlation and a definitive link between the damage or deficiency and the actual work performed. I can demonstrate that all day with my starter.

I hate to inform you, but any item you disassemble is part of the installation. You remove a starter? It and it's associated wiring is part of the install. Are you trying to tell me that when a customer brings in a car, the starter (or whatever part) isn't part of the install? Do the customers have to install it? What about if you move the exhaust for some cars? Is that part of the install too? Do customers have to put their pipes back up? You are making zero sense. Tuck the wiring back up. End of story. Don't pull dickish moves like that then make totally weird claims then blame the customer. Very sketchy man. Take pride in your work.

The starter is correct. Mopar only has like three to choose from- V6, V8, AWD versions. Not sure where you are going that one either. And it doesn't matter. Just bolt it back in and don't worry about it. The actual unit has no bearing on P0733 and if you think it does, you are a terrible mechanic.

You are lucky my motor wasn't ready to be driven. Because on your test drive, this would have been discovered- then what? P0733 would have been noticed. Then you send the customer away missing 4&5? Then the starter fuses would have blown, and you would have been so screwed on your own test drive. And it would have been all on YOU.

Your customer service skills suck man. This email where you jump down my throat for no reason is BS and I'm not dealing with it. I paid you in cash, what you asked for, I didn't make demands, I didn't dispute or talk you down on price and I haven't been a dick (oh and I didn't pay tax, so that means neither did you). I spent $1600 on you and for what? What do I have to show from Mountain Transmission? I have a car with missing 4&5. I know it's not an internal problem. You checked it and gave the go ahead- should I still trust you on your opinion of my clutches? I'm really not trusting you anymore.

You need to make this right. Clean the valve body, clean the solenoids, make sure the fluid is right and be a good business in the community. None of this bull**** "lets rip on the customer in an email where I can't face them and flat out lie" nonsense you gave. I'm sorry you had a son in the ICU- we've all had things like this happen with our kids and it's stressful. If you want, I can be a raging ******* too, but I'm trying to be nice. I didn't deserve that email's tone, I wasn't being mean or rude. I was being polite and informative.

Do the right thing. I don't want to fight, bicker, do online reviews and stars or get other outside agencies or people involved and drag this out. I just want to continue building this car.

So here is how this is going to play out. You will tell me when to bring the car in. You will fix it, you will clean the valve body, clean the solenoids, make sure the fluid is right. Improper fluid level is the #1 cause of issues with the NAG1, they are hyper sensitive. You will road test drive it (now that the motor is semi-tuned) and engage all gears from 1-5 and reverse with no lag, meaning correct fluid level. A proper road test. End of story. The motor is not broken in yet so I'll be watching and monitoring for over revving or mis-treatment of the vehicle by recording sensors and a GoPro. No need to remove the trans, I'm not asking for removal and internal inspection because I don't believe that's where the problem is, in addition that's NOT a part of our warranty discussion. I get that man. Fluids checked, code checked. I'm not daily driving the car because I can't drive it like this- it's useless (plus it still needs other work like tires/exhaust etc still- I don't daily drive this car anymore and it's now a PROJECT CAR). I have nothing to show from Mountain Transmission after paying a $1600 bill but blown starter fuses and missing gears. And it wouldn't kill you to show some pride in your work, and prevent this wiring stuff from happening in the first place. And stop blaming your customers! That's the big one for me. You actually did that. And lastly, I'm sick of shops blaming the customer for their work because they don't want to own up or take responsibility. You are tired of customers blaming shops- goes both ways. No wonder the public doesn't trust mechanic shops.

Let me know for appointment time, specifically one (same) day service. I'm a busy person. In fact, I wouldn't mind an apology and a promise to do better. That would be appropriate given your tone with me.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
First off, that's a hell of a response you crafted there. Lots of good facts.

I employ this approach even in my professional career communications, so I'll just say this.........now you have written it down, gotten it off your chest, and even let others see it. Now get rid of it. :)

If it was me, what I would do now is go talk to the guy in person. You won't say it the same way when you're there, but that's ok. I'm with you on being mad about the outcome and the way the guy handled it thus far, but I do believe you'll get more positive results by going there in person and dealing with this direct and not through electronic media. It'll change him and you in how you communicate together moving forward and hopefully for the better.

·
Praise the Lowered!
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, that's a hell of a response you crafted there. Lots of good facts.

I employ this approach even in my professional career communications, so I'll just say this.........now you have written it down, gotten it off your chest, and even let others see it. Now get rid of it. :)

If it was me, what I would do now is go talk to the guy in person. You won't say it the same way when you're there, but that's ok. I'm with you on being mad about the outcome and the way the guy handled it thus far, but I do believe you'll get more positive results by going there in person and dealing with this direct and not through electronic media. It'll change him and you in how you communicate together moving forward and hopefully for the better.
Yes, you make sense. I can tell you seem to be a pretty reasonable guy. But man- if he's messing with me like this (and I know what I'm talking about) how many others is he messing with? Yeah, I get it I'm not the crusader for the transmission afflicted, but dang... Is anyone calling this guy out? Plus, if it's not documented it didn't happen nor was it said.

I hate this. I hate dealing with mechanics. This is why I do my own work. I should have done this myself.

I'm not sending it at this point.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
110 Posts
I hate this. I hate dealing with mechanics. This is why I do my own work. I should have done this myself.
Another example of well said. I'm the same way. I'd rather EFF it up trying to do it myself.

Even if you "document" this, it probably won't gain what you're looking for. Better Business Bureaus are for that.

I'd still go there in person though. Your word of mouth may carry the best moving forward. Undoubtedly you won't be recommending this shop to anyone.

·
Praise the Lowered!
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another example of well said. I'm the same way. I'd rather EFF it up trying to do it myself.
I effed it up super bad- here's the quick story.

Dropped valve seat- rebuilt myself a 5.7
Installed 5.7
Started it, put it in drive, lost all gears, I wrecked the oil pump., Ok.....
Had spare NAG1 oil pump. Removed transmission and installed pump.
Installed transmission, started the car, got a block. Lost all gears. Lots-o-grinding

So at this point I didn't want to deal with it. I decided to just have someone else do it, and I can have that peace of mind on my transmission while I break in this motor and put all my focus on that.

Had it towed to this shop
They took it apart- my pump ate into the housing, wrecked my TC and stator splines

I gave them a total of three transmissions. I asked them to make me one super good trans, mainly becasue the internals are from a NAG1 I owned since new, so I knew the abuse history (none). They needed a TC housing, TC, pump and stator. He said it would be cheaper to bring him a used trans so he could take those parts. So that's what I did.

I can't break in this motor because I have no 4th or 5th gears. My tuner is probably getting mad because he wants to finish this tune but I can't finish tuning. It needs a proper tune because I put in a big cam.

Yipee for me.

·
stay modded, my friend...
1,577 Posts
Tom13SRT300 has some good advice to dial it back and talk to him in person. A flaming email, even if it is true and accurate, may make you feel better but will put the walls up for him. As said, he probably overreacted because of what's going on with his kid. Gotta give him a path to come through for you which won't come from beating him over the head. Deep down, he probably wants to make it right and not cop out with excuses just because it is not a bread and butter typical job. I hope you are able to finesse him into doing the right thing and helping you out!

Reactions: RobsSXT
1 - 11 of 11 Posts