LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Really Old Guy
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here is another project knocked out. I have been putting this off for the better part of a year.
I got these parts from another forum member and had planned to install it the time I installed
my 2019 Scat Pack Grill.

The car is in the body shop to get the splitter repaired. Obviously, I can't drive as I must have
hit one of the curb stops and cracked the splitter. I found this the other day when I put the
LED Side Markers in. The body man says easy fix. So, while he had the bumper off I had him install
the 2019 Scat Pack Grill.

I took it to the local body shop and they let me do the airbox install for a few bucks shop rent.

Parts
68175164AC - Lower Air Box
68228902AB - Air Tube
68240171AA - Air Intake Shield

Tools
1. Flat blade screwdriver & Philips head screwdriver
2. 8mm socket, long extension & ratchet
3. HD scissors and utility knife
4. Panel tool
5. Some push pins
6. Drill and bits

Installation
1. Remove the front bumper. There is any number of YouTube videos on how to do this. But,
according to my body man you need to remove the wheels and the complete fender liner for better access.
2. Remove the Headlight. It is held with 5 8mm bolts.
3. Remove the original Air Intake Shield. It is held on with 3 pushpins.

4. Remove the Original Airbox. You will need to transfer the hold down bushing and the rubber
fender bumper from the original airbox and transfer them to the Hellcat airbox. Now install the Hellcat airbox.

5. Install the Air tube and secure with a New pushpin.

6. Install the Hellcat Air intake shield and the modified original lower portion of the Air Intake Shield.

You're Done

· Really Old Guy
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a very unscientific test to see what the reported IAT number was compared to the outside temp.
The wife needed to pick up some groceries for a family Sunday dinner, like on The Blue Bloods TV show.
So, I let the car idle in the 80° Texas weather. The IAT reads 138° as we leave the parking lot for I-35
and home, about 12 miles. Once I hit the highway and kicked up to about 80 mph the IAT started to
drop like a rock. It was down to 85° within 2 miles. It varied between 83° and 86° depending on the traffic.

· Registered
227 Posts
I did a very unscientific test to see what the reported IAT number was compared to the outside temp.
The wife needed to pick up some groceries for a family Sunday dinner, like on The Blue Bloods TV show.
So, I let the car idle in the 80° Texas weather. The IAT reads 138° as we leave the parking lot for I-35
and home, about 12 miles. Once I hit the highway and kicked up to about 80 mph the IAT started to
drop like a rock. It was down to 85° within 2 miles. It varied between 83° and 86° depending on the traffic.
That's about mine as well it drops pretty quickly. The idle is where it soaks pretty bad here it gets up there though.

"I'm going to be honest with you...
I hate this place, this zoo, this prison, this reality. Whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. ITS THE SMELL, IF THERE IS SUCH A THING, I FEEL SATURATED BY IT!"

-Agent Smith

· Registered
484 Posts
Where is your IAT located at? On my engine I am going to be putting some heat reflective material on my intake to help keep radiant heat from soaking the intake etc.
The bottom portions / undersides are the most important.

· Really Old Guy
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is your IAT located at? On my engine I am going to be putting some heat reflective material on my intake to help keep radiant heat from soaking the intake etc.
The bottom portions / undersides are the most important.
On my Scat it is located in the the air intake duct.

The IAT comes with 1/4 turn.
Note - There is an "O" ring that seals the IAT. Be sure to check that when you put it back.

Back in 2010 Dodge had a short and long version of the IAT. I had the short version on my 5.7 Challenger. I replaced it with
the long version out of the SRT.
IIRC - They discontinued the short version in 2011.

IMHO - The long version got a better air temp sample as it was not effected by "heat soak".

· Really Old Guy
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So at that point, where is it picking up 58 degrees? That's a lot!

Is it just coming from being parked in the sun, or coming from the engine?
With a 195° stat, 80° outside temp and vey little of any air flow you will see heat soak from the engine in a very short period of time
especially at idle with the AC on. I watched the IAT temps climb at about 2 or3 degrees every couple minutes. The fans need to come
on or you need to be moving air via being at speed. Remember, the only air coming to the engine is a triangular hole in the bottom
of the air box and that air is off the road surface and engine heat. Now you add in the air tube that feeds air directly from the grill and
your IAT temp will drop dramatically. From all of my test of CAI's a 5° to 10° above the outside temp is pretty normal.

· Registered
484 Posts
That’s what I was wondering.

Seems with heat soak coming from the engine, a heat reflective material / tape would be good for keeping intake temps lower.

There’s not much you can do about environmental causes.

· Registered
1,504 Posts
That's what I was wondering.

Seems with heat soak coming from the engine, a heat reflective material / tape would be good for keeping intake temps lower.

There's not much you can do about environmental causes.
When the car is moving, it's not really an issue.

When the car is running & not moving though....all that heat is trapped under the hood & there's no air flow. It's gonna happen regardless, until you're moving

· Registered
227 Posts
You should see the IAT's when it's 100°+ here in Texas. Would you believe 172° at idle or driving around town.
Yup seen them pretty high sitting in traffic on a 115* day

"I'm going to be honest with you...
I hate this place, this zoo, this prison, this reality. Whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. ITS THE SMELL, IF THERE IS SUCH A THING, I FEEL SATURATED BY IT!"

-Agent Smith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.