LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought key programming diagnostics scanner and used it successfully to program RKE FOBs?
I have five MoPars and two of them suffer from chronic “RKE battery low”, even with new batteries.
Buying four new sets of keys and having them programmed by the dealer at this point I might as well buy the tool and add it to my quiver.

What say you?

·
Charter Member
255 Posts
Has anyone bought key programming diagnostics scanner and used it successfully to program RKE FOBs?
I have five MoPars and two of them suffer from chronic “RKE battery low”, even with new batteries.
Buying four new sets of keys and having them programmed by the dealer at this point I might as well buy the tool and add it to my quiver.

What say you?
Pretty sure AlfaOBD will do you. I've used it for the newer RFD-1 fobs. All my older fobs, I've had two working units so I just used that method, so I didn't have to use AlfaOBD.

Reactions: gapi

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've used Appcar DiagFCA with good results across two vehicles for reprograming keys and a bunch more. The user interface interface is a bit arcane, but it works well, gets to a ton of diagnostic info for troubleshooting, and also lets you flip a bunch of options on and off in the computer that would otherwise require a dealer to do, if you desired to do so. It requires a PC and a special OBD2 <-> USB cable.

It's licensed per VIN, but they have a bulk option for 5 VIN #'s that would work.

As for keys, the OEM keys seem to be quite durable, but that last one we bought and had cut/programmed at the dealer was like $300. Ouch. I'll deal with the "eBay special" keys and replace them as needed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I got the Horrible Freight scanner a while back and have programmed keys for my '09 with it as well as setting options like quit running the battery down by leaving the headlights on for minutes after I get out and turn off the audio when I turn the car off. The more painful part was getting the dealer to give me the PIN for the car so I could program the keys.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm curious as to how many digits for the PIN and did they provide it free of charge?

·
Registered
204 Posts
They didn't charge for the four digits, but they wanted to see the title, the registration, photo ID, additional ID, and a bill in matching name to the matching address from all else. Then they made me wait around for most of an hour to put the VIN into their terminal and read out the result. They clearly didn't want to give it to me, but had no legal recourse to withhold it.

According to FCA official channels the PIN can not be recovered from the car. I expect that is a lie as well.

But at dealership price of $250 for the key and an additional $250 to program it, times four, it was the same price to do the four keys myself, and now I can do it for anyone else near by and I can fix and set all kinds of other stuff on pretty much every car ever made that has electronics.

Since I haven't been to anyone else for car work besides glass and wheel alignment for the last 20 years, that suits me just fine.

P.S. I have a key cutting machine, so I did that part for myelf as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I bit the bullet. And bought this
I bought it on Amazon from Xtool. Because I have five modern MoPars and two of them need the fob replaced. I think the transmitter in them gets weak and shows “RKE Battery” all the time. I have resoldered the battery terminals with some success. At the end of the day, with needing five keys programmed right now, I bought it because it will cost me more than that to have the dealer do it.
I already have accidentally erased the one good key I had for one car. But was able to reprogram it. I have one cheap chinese key from Amazon that will not program.
I am now waiting for Amazon to deliver new blank. It works and it works good.
The scanner is beyond my tech level so I got some re educating to do.

It works just like this

·
stay modded, my friend...
1,547 Posts
IIRC, it's a 4 digit PIN. I got mine out of the car directly by using AppCar DiagFCA.
Where in AppCar DiagFCA were you able to find the PIN? I am just getting started with AppCar and it was my understanding that you need the PIN from dealer to make the AppCar work? Great help if you can give a step by step for finding PIN>

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not near the car to hook it up and check, but I found a video that shows it:
, around the 7:25 mark.

It's under Diagnostic -> WCM Wireless Control -> Routines -> Red PIN Code. The key programming is in the same diagnostic tab.

IIRC, A few of the modules have routines you can run to do interesting stuff. The actuators tab is also useful to test things by forcing them to actuate manually.

You may need to use the beta version to get all the features, they seem to be updating the release version somewhat slowly. I didn't have any issues with the beta version, but as they say, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: 07RT

·
Lost cause
4,367 Posts
Will confirm I was able to retrieve the PIN from my 2006 and delete, then program keys, for the car using Appcar diagFCA. Got me out of a jam with the wrecked 300 I was trying to get running again; it had gone into full security lockout.

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts