LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
'06 SXT AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All!

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that in the morning, when I first back out of the garage on my way to work, the AWD makes a moderate groaning sound when I steer the car hard left/right (when rolling). When it warms up, it seems fine.

Car has 8,000 miles on it. Could this be:
-An AWD issue?
-Simply a warm-up issue, but is considered normal?
-Indicating a need for an oil-change (I'm due anyway)?
-Sonething else ?? ?? ??

Thanks, all!

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
may be a candidate for TSB 21-011-06

SUBJECT:​
Transfer Case Shudder​
OVERVIEW:​
This bulletin involves replacing the planetary assembly cap and changing the transfer case
oil.​
MODELS:​
2005 - 2006 LX/LE 300/Magnum​
NOTE: This bulletin applies to LX and LE all wheel drive (AWD) vehicles equipped
with a NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ) built before September 15, 2005
(MDH 0915XX).​
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:​
Vehicle may experience shudder on slow, parking lot type turns. The friction disc in the
transfer case can become clogged with iron particles and may create a stick-slip condition
with the pressure plate inside the transfer case.​
DIAGNOSIS:​
If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, perform the
Repair Procedure.​

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
fnkychkn said:
may be a candidate for TSB 21-011-06

SUBJECT:​

Transfer Case Shudder​

OVERVIEW:​

This bulletin involves replacing the planetary assembly cap and changing the transfer case

oil.​

MODELS:​

2005 - 2006 LX/LE 300/Magnum​

NOTE: This bulletin applies to LX and LE all wheel drive (AWD) vehicles equipped​

with a NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ) built before September 15, 2005
(MDH 0915XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:​

Vehicle may experience shudder on slow, parking lot type turns. The friction disc in the

transfer case can become clogged with iron particles and may create a stick-slip condition
with the pressure plate inside the transfer case.​

DIAGNOSIS:​

If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, perform the

Repair Procedure.​
Yup. My AWD R/T started showing similar symptoms last fall at about 13K. The ever wise fnkychkn was kind enough to point out 21-011-06, and indeed that took care of it. No problems since! :thumbs_u:

·
'06 SXT AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Presumably this is warranty work, then?

Thanks fellas! I really appreciate it! I suppose I should change my oil before I bring it in, right? Just to make sure there are no issues with the warranty...or will it all get dumped anyway?

·
First AWD LX in the 12's N/A
8,067 Posts
RixMag said:
Presumably this is warranty work, then?

Thanks fellas! I really appreciate it! I suppose I should change my oil before I bring it in, right? Just to make sure there are no issues with the warranty...or will it all get dumped anyway?
If it's engine oil you're asking about, as long as you are within your maint. schedule you're fine, if you've gone over, then change it.

·
I'm not speeding......I'm qualifying
5,266 Posts
Funky is the man!!!

BTW - no problems with my AWD regarding this matter.

·
'06 SXT AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had it fixed last Thursday. Sounds great (i.e.: no specific sounds at all), and I think my mileage picked up a tad, too.

Thanks Funky and all!

Note: there is a more recent TSB on this for vehicles made after the date specified in FCs posting above. If you go in for this repair, try to find out what it is before you go. The stealership made a small issue of this.

·
'06 SXT AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Had it fixed last Thursday. Sounds great (i.e.: no specific sounds at all), and I think my mileage picked up a tad, too.

Thanks Funky and all!

Note: there is a more recent TSB on this for vehicles made after the date specified in FCs posting above. If you go in for this repair, try to find out what it is before you go. The stealership made a small issue of this.
Not even two weeks later-it's starting up it's groaning again. :blam:

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts

Thanks Funky and all!

TSB 21-011-06 quoted in post #2 is the latest for this issue. it supercedes TSB 21-019-05A.

·
'06 SXT AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the updated TSB number-I hadn't caught that it was posted.

Part of me is wondering if they just went for the "friction Modifier" band-aid, instead of doing actual work on the thing.

Luckily, the DCX customer survey came in this past weekend. My disgruntled customer status was portrayed in it.

·
'06 SXT AWD
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it's back in for the re-work. Let's see how this goes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.