LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
It's been the Worst Day Since Yesterday
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have the ability to obtain a 2006 SRT8 Gauge Cluster which IMO is much nicer looking than the 300c cluster (I don't like idiot gauges, i.e. no numbers).

So will the 2006 SRT8 cluster work in a 2005 300c? All things being equal, it appears to have all the same options that my cluster has, except for the 180 mph Speedo vs the 160 in the "C".

·
Chasing Dreams
3,354 Posts
No, the ccn software is totally different. I tried uploading the 06 software to my 05 and there where numerous things that didn't work. Things like, engine temp. You can try it if they send a 2006 ccn with it, it may work then.

·
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
MagnumFreak said:
No, the ccn software is totally different. I tried uploading the 06 software to my 05 and there where numerous things that didn't work. Things like, engine temp. You can try it if they send a 2006 ccn with it, it may work then.
I thought the CCN's were vehicle specific. That changing them would cause a whole world of problems.

and isn't the CCN part of the cluster?

·
Chasing Dreams
3,354 Posts
Not sure if it is built into or is attached to it. Never have actually broke it down.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Meister's sent his off to be reprogrammed to the Nav2go boys. Don't know if he's got it back yet...

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
If nothing else (if it's still floating around), I'll volunteer to try to change the color of the backlighting if you send me the cluster. Seriously, I'll pick up some different EL and experiment.

·
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up getting a new factory cluster do to mine not having a functioning airbag light, and during that warranty repair, mr. miester bought the cluster that Cleveland Salvage had promised to me, oh well...

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Really? Jay never even hinted that this cluster was anything but freely available, Mr. I.

I have received the cluster back. Nav2Go managed to set the odometer to a figure above the existing mileage on my C cluster, as requested, but overshot my requested mileage by nearly a thousand miles. I ran it for a day to insure that everything works (engine oil temp is now a viewed category. Without the sensor the reading is blank of course. If I didn't already have a full set of AutoMeter fluid temp gauges I'd activate it, but as it is it isn't needed and thus not worth the hassle to do so, especially as I've likely already tapped every available oil galley port).

After verifying full and proper function of the SRT8 cluster I swapped the C cluster back in till the mileages match to avoid kissing off a thousand miles of warranty.

When I complained to Dom of the major overshoot he indicated (for the first time in many discussions) that resetting the mileage on one of these electronic clusters isn't an exact science, further stating that 900 miles was really quite close. Inferring, I suppose, that they usually miss by a larger margin than that and I should be glad for what I got. :doh:

In a few more weeks the mileages will match and I'll re-install the SRT8 cluster permanently.

·
See ya in anotha life brotha
14,677 Posts
NIce Jim, I look forward to a complete write up and what was needed to get everything to work.

Where is the Oil temp sensor in teh SRT's ? Wghat about the Trans temp ?

I want an SRT Charger or Magnum cluster

-R

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Where is the Oil temp sensor in the SRT's ? What about the Trans temp ?

I want an SRT Charger or Magnum cluster

-R
You'll have to check the SRT8 section of the service manual, Rob, to find out definitively. We tapped into the vacant orfice just above the oil filter to install our oil temp sensor. It's quite possible the SRT8s use that location as well.

For mounting the tranny temp sensor we used the optional anodized aluminum manifold block that AutoMeter makes that allows us to tie into the tranny cooling outlet line without cutting anything or punching a hole in a pan.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
When I complained to Dom of the major overshoot he indicated (for the first time in many discussions) that resetting the mileage on one of these electronic clusters isn't an exact science, further stating that 900 miles was really quite close. Inferring, I suppose, that they usually miss by a larger margin than that and I should be glad for what I got. :doh:
whenever i order a replacement cluster, it always comes in with the exact mileage i requested.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
whenever i order a replacement cluster, it always comes in with the exact mileage i requested.
That's certainly what I expected too, funky.

As you know, I don't do phone very well. But from what I could pick up, Dom was saying that they don't have the capability to fully power up the console at their shop, so the process is somewhat akin to shooting blindfolded. Again, I was only told this part after I complained of the mileage mis-match. Prior to that all I heard was "We can do it."

Anyway, whatever the actual reason, that's as close as he could get it. (I had asked for a specific thousands of miles, call it x. When it was returned and I plugged it in and powered it up, it read x + 900 miles.)

All of this will soon be moot.

Will that really matter? Won't you have to stuff the original cluster back in for warranty work?
LOL - Think about that one again, jaak. :wink:

That would be a great deal for me, warranty-wise. But a bit unethical. I'd have essentially unlimited mileage and 6 years left of an 8-year warranty if we used the soon-to-be-idle cluster's odometer as the basis for mileage. :)

No, once the mileage on my original cluster reaches that to which Dom set the SRT8 cluster, I'll swap the SRT8 cluster in. At that point the new instrument cluster's odometer becomes the official recorder of mileage, for all purposes.

All of the above is in accord with the agreement I have with my dealer.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Yeah, I know, I was joking of course... But wondered if the dealer would look at the vehicle and say "Wrong cluster, all bets are off!" so you've got a great dealer, if he's cool with you doing that.

I think it's great that it works too!!!

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Yeah, I know, I was joking of course... But wondered if the dealer would look at the vehicle and say "Wrong cluster, all bets are off!" so you've got a great dealer, if he's cool with you doing that.

I think it's great that it works too!!!
It's just a swingin' deal all the way around, jaak. :pepper: :pepper:

And one of our members just let me know that he needs my C's cluster.

·
See ya in anotha life brotha
14,677 Posts
Humm did you do a mph check on the cluster yet jim ? I am intresting in that its getting a propper sig from the speed sensors and is translating it correctly.

BTW - you have a way cool dealer

-R

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Humm did you do a mph check on the cluster yet jim ? I am intresting in that its getting a propper sig from the speed sensors and is translating it correctly.

BTW - you have a way cool dealer

-R
Yup, no change. Translates perfectly.

And, yes, I do for a fact. 'Tell him so regularly, as well.

·
Premium Member
26,921 Posts
Does it still come up with the SRT logo in the EVIC? (If it does, I bet that makes you smile everytime you see it!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.