LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Been there, done that
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front suspension noise

Took the Magnum in for its first warranty visit. One of my complaints (there weren't many) is that the front suspension clunks on stutter bumps or uneven road surfaces, when there's minimal, rapid suspension movement. The right's worse than the left. I had this on another car years ago, and it was the upper strut mount on one side. They said they checked the sway bar mounting points, and everything was tight; it's a "normal noise associated with performance suspensions." Uh, no. Any ideas?
 

·
What'd I miss?
Joined
·
23,444 Posts
TECH-TIPS #01- LX FRONT SUSPENSION RATTLE / CLUNK
The Dealer Technical Support group has received several dealer inquiries regarding a clunk type noise
from the front suspension when driving at low speeds (40 km/h) over uneven road surfaces. In most
cases the noise was still present after verifying the torque on various front suspension components and
with the sway bar links removed. Please advise service technicians that if the noise is NOT present when
the brakes are applied, they should use chassis ears to determine if the noise is coming from the right or
left tension strut. Replacing the tension strut that is noisy has resolved the majority of these concerns.​
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,711 Posts
Make sure the lower strut bolts are super tight,and the top center too.Mine seems to do it as well,I will be going through it tommorow.....never did trust the dealer.
 

·
Been there, done that
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fnkychkn said:
no TSB. just a tech tip.
Is a tech tip "Official DaimlerChrysler", or what?

Applying the brakes doesn't stop the noise on mine. Any other possiblities?
 

·
Been there, done that
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fnkychkn said:
i'd still check the tension struts, as well as all front suspension components.
So here's the million dollar question - what are tension struts? I've been wrenching on cars for over 30 years, but this is a new term for me.
 

·
Been there, done that
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fnkychkn said:
i'd still check the tension struts, as well as all front suspension components.
I checked the upper strut mounts. I tightened the 3 nuts on each (they were snug, but not tight), and then went to check the strut rod itself. On the left one, it runs out of thread before I hit the 70 ft-lbs. On the right one, the nut's seized, so I'm letting it soak in WD-40. I'm guessing I can break it loose with an air impact wrench, but I don't know if this is a bad idea. Looking for further guidance :?:
 

·
PPP-Tech
Joined
·
634 Posts

·
Been there, done that
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fnkychkn said:
when tension struts are noisy, i've had no luck just tightening them. once replaced, the noise went away.
I'm talking about the shock/strut, not the tension strut.
 

·
Been there, done that
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dookie said:
Here is a thread about mine...I know your frustration...Mine ended up being the X-pipe hitting...leave nothing to chance.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17176&highlight=dookie
Thanks. The torque values are good to have; I'll go over everything. It's absolutely suspension related.

Still need input on tightening the rod of the suspension strut, where it runs out of threads on the left, and the right is seized.
 

·
PPP-Tech
Joined
·
634 Posts
MGNM4CE said:
Thanks. The torque values are good to have; I'll go over everything. It's absolutely suspension related.

Still need input on tightening the rod of the suspension strut, where it runs out of threads on the left, and the right is seized.
I thought the same thing...so did 3 other Dodge techs at the dealer, and various friends...we all said FRONT RIGHT suspension...found out it was the x-pipe hitting the body and sound traveling to the front right...go figure.
A buddy has a WS6 TA and had a similar problem...said the noise was coming from the rear driver side...come to find out it was a cross member hitting the exhaust front passenger side...Point is...check everything, not just suspension...do you have aftermarket exhaust?

As far as tightening the rod nut where the threads have run out...Remove the nut and add some washers for spacers...as far as the seized one...get a small propane torch and heat it up a little...
 

·
Been there, done that
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dookie said:
I thought the same thing...so did 3 other Dodge techs at the dealer, and various friends...we all said FRONT RIGHT suspension...found out it was the x-pipe hitting the body and sound traveling to the front right...go figure.
A buddy has a WS6 TA and had a similar problem...said the noise was coming from the rear driver side...come to find out it was a cross member hitting the exhaust front passenger side...Point is...check everything, not just suspension...do you have aftermarket exhaust?

As far as tightening the rod nut where the threads have run out...Remove the nut and add some washers for spacers...as far as the seized one...get a small propane torch and heat it up a little...
I have the Corsa exhaust. Made the same noise with stock, from the time it was new. Point taken - I'll check it out. Based on past experience (30 years - ouch), I'm almost :wink: certain it's in the suspension, but I'll check everything out.

Your suggestion on the bottoming of the threads is almost too obvious. The propane torch one's a good one. Thanks again for your help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,141 Posts
MGNM4CE said:
I have the Corsa exhaust. Made the same noise with stock, from the time it was new. Point taken - I'll check it out. Based on past experience (30 years - ouch), I'm almost :wink: certain it's in the suspension, but I'll check everything out.

Your suggestion on the bottoming of the threads is almost too obvious. The propane torch one's a good one. Thanks again for your help.
Well....my MSRT8 starting making the passenger front suspension noises described in this thread last Friday, and it is definitely NOT the rear exhaust hitting the body panel. Ther is lots of space back there and this is a metal on metal and clunk-rattle on the front right area for sure.

I took it to the dealer today and they said they couldn't see anything wrong...until I made the Service Manager go for a ride with me and it was louder than ever (did they not think to test drive under corner load or what!). Mine is loud enough at times for people oin the street to turn and look.....not the looks I want ;-( Amazing....it just started to happen out of the blue.

Anyway, I advised them of funkychiken's "Tech Tip #01" and they plan to look into it this week while I am out of town.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,457 Posts
Mine just starting doing the same thing in the last couple of weeks. I checked and everything is nice and tight. I know it's not the exhaust.............hummmmmmmm???. Guess I'll go there Mr. Funk.......thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,278 Posts
Service dept. at my st/dealership tried to tell me it was a loose windshield washer cap! The car is going back in to have the brake TSB done in 2 weeks and I told them the tech WILL be going for a ride with me so I can show them.

When I tried to get them to first honor the brake TSB they asked if I was having brake problems. I was like "Ya, problem is the rotors are grooved" It wasn't until I broke out my printed copy of the TSB that they then went and looked at my rotors.:loser:
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top