LX Forums Forum banner

Where do I collect?

• CDJ 36 month 36k miles

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • CDJ zero deductible 84 month 85k miles extended warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CDJ Roadside Service

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • The guy that changed the tire or his company.

Votes: 6 60.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Xeroid
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night my wife was driving the Magnum AWD and the car got a flat tire (go Conti-Seals!).

She called CDJ roadside service and they sent out a guy to change the tire, putting on the "Mattel Spare".

...All is happy in paradise (except for my wife).

I went to the local Conti dealer to have the tire checked out since I could find no leaks with the soapy water trick. He resealed the tire and put on a new stem. I gave the tech a $10 tip...good service.

He called me out to the service bay and showed me 1/2 of a wheel lock (McGard, Chrysler PN 1-82208724) which was finger tight and on the car when I took delivery. The other 1/2 of the lock was in the trunk with the key to the lug nuts...snapped off.

So who is responsible?

- Dodge, 36 month / 36,000 miles (currently at 17 months / 15,500)
- Dodge, under the zero deductible 84 month / 85,000 mile extended warranty.
- CDJ Roadside Service
- The guy (or his company) that turned the nut. I don't know the names.
- Me (BTW, this is the wrong choice!)

So far the dealers (one Chrysler and one Dodge, but not the one from whom I purchased the car) won't do anything since its not on the "build sheet".

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Well the Mcgard wheel nuts are known to break when using the compact spare tire. Because the steel wheel is thinner than the mag wheel the nut goes on farther down the stud and the stub pops the cap off. I carry a spare standard wheel nut with me incase of a flat for that very reason. Whose at fault, good question. I know of very few people who would have known that this happens until it does. I do believe there is an old thread about this.

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
Yeah man... whoever torqued that wheel lock down on the spare is at fault insomuch as they busted your nut (get your mind outta the gutter), but how pissed would you have been if he left it off and the tire guy found your car to only have four lugs on the wheel? Even if he did know better, it's still a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation for him... I hate to say it, but I don't think you're gonna' pin it on anybody specific. I vote pick up a spare lugnut when you get the new lock and chalk it up to experience.

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
4 lugs is sufficient to hold a spare tire on.

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
four is sufficient to drive on too, as i proved with 30,000 miles on my old cutlass... it's still not 'right' and i'm sure they're not allowed to do it for liability reasons.

·
LX Newbie
6 Posts
In June of '05 we had a similar issue with our Magnum.

Damnear Chrysler Roadside Assistance put on the spare tire for my wife when she was out of town. While they standing near the service truck doing paperwork they heard what sounded like a .45 going off. The locking lug nut came apart with enough force to leave a small dent in the service truck's door. The wife still swears that the tech used a torque wrench to tighten the nuts that day so we do not believe that it was a case of testosterone poisoning. This problem is a case of design fault of both Damnear Chrysler and McGard. The locking lug nuts are not as deep the regular nuts. The locking lugs bottom out against the wheel stud when used with the spare tire stamped steel wheel. The easiest solution is to carry the extra lug nuts in the car if you use locks then if you have a flat use one of them instead of the lock.

The broken locking lug nut set should be replaced at no charge by Damnear Chrysler under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. With just a few exceptions most OEM accessories installed on the car are covered by the original OEM warranty.

·
Retired Xeroid
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

As it turns out the "flat" was caused by a defective valve stem pressure indicator which I got at Radio Shack...now replaced.

The dealer said no dice on responsibility since the McGard locks were put on by them to prevent dealer lot tire/wheel theft. So they are not covered under any of the CDJ warranties after 12 months.

I went back to the Roadside assistance people (managed for CDJ by Cross Country Automotive Services). They basically said: [paraphrasing] Oh yeah, that happens when you use the locks on the thinner steel wheel. The bottom line is that they are sending me a check for $50 to cover a new set of locks and the extra nut I bought.

They were really nice about it and are to be commended. The guy said further that he would put out a bulletin to all of they service people to avoid the use of the locks on similar roadside repairs. Maybe everyone should carry an extra nut?

PB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.