LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LX Padiwan
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after polishing the crap out of the Mag I go to take a little run.

Cruising along at about 30 only about 3 blocks from my house and she starts to buck then after a minute of this she stalls.

I cost aways to a parking lot pull in and crank it no start. Wait about 15 seconds crank er and she starts. Engine light stays on and I get err home. Seems to be running normal.

I do the trouble code thing with the key and when I hit the Cycle to stay in the on position this appears in the odometer(I don't have the EVIC)

That stays for a sec then goes out and displays
------
Then after a sec it shows
061C
Then back to
------
Then
done

Look up the trouble codes and they all have a letter in front. Oh well. Guess to the dealer in the morning.

Think she's alright to drive or should I have her towed?

Like I say she seems to run fine. Just the engine light stays on now.

I just put my 5th coat of Zaino on..maybe to much Zaino:wink:

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
It's probably a $5 sensor in the motor. Bring a box of doughnuts and the dealer will have her back in a jiffy. DCX has made these cars so complicated, I'm surprised they don't require the driver to have a sensor probe inserted! I think that might have been one too many coats of Zaino!

·
LX Padiwan
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I pulled fuse 11 and it removed the codes and the engine light went out. Drove a few miles and it stayed off.

Maybe one of these mystery glitches. We'll see if it comes back.

Still confuses me that the codes didn't have the P in front of them.

·
LX Newbie
59 Posts
My SXT did the same thing this morning and now it is at the dealer. It quit and I pulled off the road. After a couple of trys it cranked and I made it home. It quit 2 or 3 times in the driveway and each time it cranked black smoke poured out of the exhaust. Didn't look to see if the engine light was on. Will let you know what the dealer says.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
P0344-CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT

• When Monitored: While cranking the engine and engine running.
  • Set Condition: When the failure counter reaches 20. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
Possible Causes
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
(F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE
(K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY
TONE WHEEL/PULSE RING
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
PCM

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
P061C-ETC LEVEL 2 RPM PERFORMANCE

• When Monitored: Throttle motor is powered and no camshaft or crankshaft electrical signal related DTCs are set.
  • Set Condition: When secondary software determines that the engine speed is implausible for a period of time. ETC lamp will flash.
Possible Causes
PCM NEEDS TO BE PROGRAMMED
PCM

this DTC most likely caused by slow maturation of P0344. i'd check that one first.

·
LX Newbie
59 Posts
Got my SXT out of the shop...dealer coldn't find a fault code and couldn't duplicate the problem....said maybe it was bad gas. Guess I have no choice but to drive it and hope it doesn't happen again.

·
LX Padiwan
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I put 170 Miles on mine since with no problems yet.

I do notice what appears to be some surges from time to time. Going in for an oil change in a week and I'll mention it to them and have them take a look unless it quits between now and then. Thanks for the info Funky!

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
interwoven said:
Well I put 170 Miles on mine since with no problems yet.

I do notice what appears to be some surges from time to time. Going in for an oil change in a week and I'll mention it to them and have them take a look unless it quits between now and then. Thanks for the info Funky!
unless it occurs again, i doubt they'll find anything since you erased all trace by pulling fuse 11.

·
Cunning Stunt
551 Posts
poliojoe said:
Got my SXT out of the shop...dealer coldn't find a fault code and couldn't duplicate the problem....said maybe it was bad gas. Guess I have no choice but to drive it and hope it doesn't happen again.
I know there are some top notch dealer technicians and service advisors out there, but this comment just makes steam blow out my ears.

"Bad gas"....a moronic comment by an incompetent.

That said, fnkychkn is right. By erasing the codes the dealer tech is pretty helpless unless the codes recur. However I'd take a close look at the wiring to the camshaft position sensor to see if it's loose, chafed, or otherwise compromised.

The fact that the car bucked and stalled means that there was a real problem with this circuit. Without the cam position sensor the engine is dead in the water.

·
LX Padiwan
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
unless it occurs again, i doubt they'll find anything since you erased all trace by pulling fuse 11.
I was thinking that as I pulled the fuse but, like other things, my hands were ahead of my brain. Next time I'll just leave it alone and get her into the dealer... trouble codes intact. Probably other secret stuff in there also that I erased that helps them figure out what was wrong. I'll mention the codes and maybe they can glance at the wiring as suggested. After 30 years of crawling under cars on Sunday afternoons I really could care less if I ever turned a wrench again plus these new cars are smarter than I am.

·
LX Newbie
59 Posts
Thanks Henry, but i didn't erase any codes and i'm too old to be looking for any sensors. I've got the 100,000 mile extended warranty and I'll just let them find it!!! Thanks again!

·
rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
mine just the last month has acted weird. Runs perfectly...then I fill the gas tank. for the next 1/2 dozen redlites it dies while im stopped but restarts instantly. Then its fine again. Its done this the last 2 fillups. First time they said it was throttle control module (pedal assby). They replaced the whole thing with new. But it did it again today when i filled it. Ill let the codes if any stay, supposed to check it for me Monday.

·
What'd I miss?
23,444 Posts
rogerdoger said:
mine just the last month has acted weird. Runs perfectly...then I fill the gas tank. for the next 1/2 dozen redlites it dies while im stopped but restarts instantly. Then its fine again. Its done this the last 2 fillups. First time they said it was throttle control module (pedal assby). They replaced the whole thing with new. But it did it again today when i filled it. Ill let the codes if any stay, supposed to check it for me Monday.
from online database:

Vehicle Issue:Hard start long crank time/No start,May have to tip into throttle to get engine to start: Purge valve leaking or fuel control valve.
Case Verification:Look at throttle blade when engine has the concern if the throttle blade is completely closed check to see if the purge valve will hold a vacuum with the purge valve unplugged, If not see recommendation below.
Recommendation: Replace the purge solenoid and insure TSB 18-031-04 has been performed. Also insure no fuel in the purge line after filling the fuel tank, if so check fuel control valve it may be stuck open. replace as needed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.