1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hemi Panzer
2,050 Posts
DAMN!!!! Me Wants one too!!!!

·
Dude, Where's my LX!?!?
4,291 Posts
Why not do like in the movie "Taxi" and have an alternate plate scroll down from above....BTW, I WANT THAT TAXI !!!!!! Never in my life have I seen a crown vic handle like that!!!!

·
ITSGOT1
74 Posts
I have seen this stuff used in commercial applications for/or as privacy glass, no need for window coverings. Basically it is an "LCD" display that is either opaque when energized with 12vdc or requires 12vdc to keep it clear. I believe it is available in either version (powered clear/unpowered clear) The product is made by GE. http://www.crd.ge.com/esl/cgsp/projects/le/lcd.html

Because it is a liquid crystal display, it would have to be made to the size of the plate, cannot be trimmed after the fact.

I am sure you can google it and find other manufacturers.

·
Two tons o' Hemi powered fun!
390 Posts
That Bullrun just passed through Toronto a few days ago...it's a version of the infamous 'Cannonball Run'. Lots of big names too (one famous Italian racecar driver comes to mind). This dude is serious.

·
ITSGOT1
74 Posts
for those that are interested in finding out more about this stuff. Google Smart Glass or Electrochromatic Glass.

Turns out we have this technology in our cars already, provided you have an auto dimming rearview mirror. It uses voltage to change the color of the mirror to make it less relective.

Anyway, I have had a bit of fun checking out this stuff and doing some research....

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Its ok, Chicago has only got two helicopters, they are operated by the FD and give very limited support to LE. They also crashed one of them earlier this summer... (only minor injuries). The State Police only have a couple fixed wing aircraft... so it's mostly the Chicago news and traffic helicopters to worry about here in Illinois. Get about 60 miles out of the city... chances are you'll go a few years between eye's in the sky:)

Don

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I've wanted to do this for a long time to every window in every car and house and building.

The first time I saw it was on This Old House.

With my projects I did the last couple of years I have been researching this and other technologies like it. You can have multiple options. You can do the smoke. You can do black. Or you can even so one that is adjustable. The only problem is you would basically have to remake every piece of glass to put the sheets inside. Then you have to deal with moisture. The examples I've seen in houses sometimes stop working properly because of moisture. Also, they work backwards from what you may think. When you turn them "on", meaning there is power going through it, it will be clear. When you turn them "off", there is no power going through it and it will be black or smoked or whatever one you have.

But it is one of the coolest things. I swear a fairly recent Ferrari had this on the glass roof that you could remove. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.