LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LX Newbie
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read though all the post with with exhaust in the title, but still have a few questions.
1)For those of you that didnt go with a cat back system, what type of
resonators are you using??

2)Has anyone ever put the resonators where the suitcase muffler is and put the mufflers in the back? I was thinking about doing with, and putting two flowmaster 40s in the rear, but didnt know what type of resonators to use. Can anyone think of pros or cons on this setup? Also with this set up, I am guessing I would need the 2.25 inlet/outlet to be on the same side? Also, what are yours thoughts on using a 4 inch circular tip?

3)I am guessing the shop that does the work would be able to buy the parts, but do you think I would be better off buying them from the shop, or online?

This will be my first mod, and my first time dealing with the purchase of a new exhaust..so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance..

·
Tipmaster G
7,019 Posts
Would it not sound better(hemi i assume) if you would leave the res off?

A lot seem to be happy leaving the stock "suitcase " on and replacing the rear res with straight pipes and tips!

Cheap (under $150) and great sound!

Any other opinions?
Cheap and effective!

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Won't fit:(

·
2006 Mag SRT Owner
13,441 Posts
Won't fit:(

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
The cat back systems that are available are proven systems. Yes, you can make change what's exisiting and gain some bottum end , maybe even some mid, but they never give you the optimum situation. This dosen't even consider the drone you will get.

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
a2fire2i said:
I have read though all the post with with exhaust in the title, but still have a few questions.
1)For those of you that didnt go with a cat back system, what type of
resonators are you using??

2)Has anyone ever put the resonators where the suitcase muffler is and put the mufflers in the back? I was thinking about doing with, and putting two flowmaster 40s in the rear, but didnt know what type of resonators to use. Can anyone think of pros or cons on this setup? Also with this set up, I am guessing I would need the 2.25 inlet/outlet to be on the same side? Also, what are yours thoughts on using a 4 inch circular tip?

3)I am guessing the shop that does the work would be able to buy the parts, but do you think I would be better off buying them from the shop, or online?

This will be my first mod, and my first time dealing with the purchase of a new exhaust..so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance..
1. No resonators here. I'm using the Blastin' Bob's rstraight pipes as a replacement for my resonators. A guy with a Daytona Charger in Columbus, OH replaced his resonators with 12" glasspacks and the car sounded awesome! That will probably be my next exhaust mod.

2. To elaborate on GasGunr's reply, there is a single "suitcase" muffler on our cars, at least on the 5.7 and 6.1L engines (I'm not familiar with the V-6 engines). It cannot be moved to the rear on a dual exhaust car. You may want to take a look at some of the various types of catback exhausts out there for some ideas. Zoomers go without resonators as does the Borla 125. Check out this link as they have some pretty good pics of the various catback exhaust systems that are offered.

3. I guess it all depends on the shop. I imagine some shops only sell certain brands of exhaust. I think your best bet would be to find a local club or meet and listen to some of the various exhausts in person. Try and take a ride in the car also to see what the interior sound is like.

Exhaust sound is very subjective! One person's too loud is another's not loud enough so do your homework before you buy. Also, if you have a significant other, make sure you will be able to handle their drone about the exhaust drone :mrgreen:

·
Steve
1,082 Posts
When I had no rear resonators and the stock muffler I got one hellofa drone at about 70-73MPH. Sometimes it sounded like you were running over those rumble strips on the highway used to keep people awake or to wake them up. That's due to the MDS kicking in. I didn't mind it but I heard a set of Borla 140112's so I upgraded.

·
LX Padiwan
430 Posts
Check the Vendor Aisle Supporting Sponsor's forum. While they maynot have "group buys" so to speak, some of the sponsors were offering free shipping or reduced prices to forum members last month.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
blastin' bob on E-bay looks great, sound good, and is under $200

·
LX Newbie
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So on Thursday I took the car into the shop and had the rear resonators removed, and have magnaflow mufflers put in their place. The suitcase muffler was left alone. I drove the car around Thursday and Friday, and decided it wasn't loud enough for me. On Saturday, I took it back and had the middle suitcase removed and straight piped. Sounds 100 times better, and you can actually tell there is something under the hood. There is a little drone, but not overkill. I am very happy with it!

·
Mag RT AWD
1,959 Posts
Got the stainless JBA/catbacks from HHP $509.00 delivered (2 dAYS). It has no resonators, 3 1/2" O.D. tips. Fairly loud,calm at 70 mph,satisfied with quality and price,overall sound desired. Did have to use spacer washers on crossmember though.

·
LX Newbie
73 Posts
Very timely post! I was thinking of doing something this week.

matpat said:
1. No resonators here. I'm using the Blastin' Bob's rstraight pipes as a replacement for my resonators.
Where do you get these, would the muffler shop have them?

Thanx!

·
LX Newbie
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CHEMIGO said:
Very timely post! I was thinking of doing something this week.

Where do you get these, would the muffler shop have them?

Thanx!
I believe people are getting them off of ebay..

·
LX Padiwan
858 Posts
If you want to try a cheap experiment,
remove the suitcase, and drop in glasspacks where it used to be.
Or just try taking the suitcase out and replace with pipes.

The main problem with any of these setups, seems to be drone,
when you remove the stock rear resonators.

You seem to have two options.

Leave the stock rear resonators, or put Zoomers tips to replace them.

If you chop them out, it does not seem to matter what kind of pipes
or resonators or mufflers you add, you still get drone from the MDS
unless you keep the resonators, or use Zoomers tips.

So if you are trying to be cheap, try just getting rid of the suitcase
first. If that does not work, replace it with two flowmasters of magnaflows,
and order two Zoomers tips. That is what I have now, and it works great.
But with just the flowmasters, it still droned like crazy when MDS kicked in.

·
LX Newbie
73 Posts
I found Blastin Bob's on ebay. I am assuming if there isn't MDS, the drone isn't a factor.
A couple other questions;
- do you need the resonators for emissions testing? Does Bob's kit allow for them to be replaced?
- is there any downside to having local shop cut the resonator out and add a piece to retain the original tips vs. Blastin' Bobs?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
I found Blastin Bob's on ebay. I am assuming if there isn't MDS, the drone isn't a factor.
A couple other questions;
- do you need the resonators for emissions testing? Does Bob's kit allow for them to be replaced?
- is there any downside to having local shop cut the resonator out and add a piece to retain the original tips vs. Blastin' Bobs?

Thanks!
E-bay is what I said post #11.
Only need mufflers for emission testing where they look under the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.