LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Magnum Geek
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mag has about 4200 miles, with the 5.7L. She'd been sitting for about a week, and the weather has been warm.

When I started the engine this morning, there was a noticeable clatter for about two seconds, and I assume it was valve train noise. I had the oil changed about 1000 miles ago, and the level was fine.

The engine ran fine afterward and seems strong as ever.

Does this seem normal? Worth getting it checked?

·
LX Guru
14,153 Posts
That don't seem right. Do you have 5W20 oil? I run synthetic and never heard any unpleasant noise on start-up, even at 0 degreesF. I would at least tell the dealer, then if you should have a problem at a later date you may be protected.

·
LX Padiwan
309 Posts
MagnumFan7 said:
My Mag has about 4200 miles, with the 5.7L. She'd been sitting for about a week, and the weather has been warm.

When I started the engine this morning, there was a noticeable clatter for about two seconds, and I assume it was valve train noise. I had the oil changed about 1000 miles ago, and the level was fine.

The engine ran fine afterward and seems strong as ever.

Does this seem normal? Worth getting it checked?
You could have a defective oil filter. It happens. There is an anti drain back valve in the filter so oil can stay in the valve train curcuit when the engine is off. Once started, oil is immediatly supplied to the valve train. If the valve is bad, oil will drain back causing a dry start for a second or two. This is one of the perenial problems with the radioactive Orange Fram filters. A preponderance of bad drain back valves.

·
LX Newbie
79 Posts
I always get this with my Hemi on cold start up. Despite oil cahnges its always there.

Along wtih the ticking noises. I figured this is just an attribute of an old fashion 5.7L HEMI motor.. So i just ignore it.

No where near as refined as import v6/v8s but i still lov emy car.

·
Magnum Geek
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!

formerice: As far as I know, it is 5W20. The dealer did the last change.

Alfa Charger: Ah, that could be it. I never heard the noise with the factory oil, and the car had sat for longer periods. Thanks for the info.

minirx7: That's interesting. How many miles on your car?

·
LX Newbie
79 Posts
MagnumFan7 said:
Thanks for the info!

formerice: As far as I know, it is 5W20. The dealer did the last change.

Alfa Charger: Ah, that could be it. I never heard the noise with the factory oil, and the car had sat for longer periods. Thanks for the info.

minirx7: That's interesting. How many miles on your car?
11,000kms. Its always been there... Frankly I dont really care. If something happens.. WARRANTY BABY!! LOL..

·
LX Newbie
36 Posts
My car never did that until my last oil change. The only thing that changed was I went to a different dealer. The one I usually go to uses Valvoline, this one uses Penzoil. By the way, I've never seen an engine last all that long using that perifin based crap. (Penzoil)

·
Two tons o' Hemi powered fun!
390 Posts
Mine has it (with less than 3000 miles on it), as did my 04 Ram with the Hemi. Many Hemi truck owners experience this (as well as a faint tick on idle) from what I read on the dodge truck forum.

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
Any car that sits for too long will be noisy at startup.

You should hear my wife's Crown Vic if it sits for over a week. LOL

It is just the oil draining back into the pan, nothing to worry about.

As long as the noise goes away in a few seconds.

Bob

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
I had it with my SXT when I purchased it with 23K on it. I changed all the fluids to synthetic, specifically the oil to Amsoil 0W30, and the dreaded clatter has all since been eliminated. Don't know if this viscosity would be usable on the Hemi, though.

·
LX Guru
2,871 Posts
I have that sound almost every time I park my car on a Thursday night and don't start it until Monday morning as well as other times during the week. The sound always goes away in the first second of running. I have now started using Amsoil 5w20 and am not getting this sound as often. I'll keep a closer ear out for it and note how many times per week I hear it. I had been hearing it about 2-3 times per week before.

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
The advice that Grand Master Funky had is true. The oil does drain back down. If the sound occurs on consecutive days, I would try replacingthe oil filter (drainback valve).
HEMI's are a little noisey anyway so some should be expected.

·
Magnum Geek
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did it again...

(I'm the one who started the thread.)

I heard the clatter again this morning, though it was quieter than the first time. The car had been sitting for about 48 hours. I have about 5000 miles on the clock now, and will be getting an oil change at around 6K.

Slightly nervous... I'll mention it when I go in.

·
mr.clean
76 Posts
Mine did it the first time about 6 weeks ago. car was warm sat for 3/4 hr or so. did it two or three times then cleared up;. beat the daylite out of the car the rest of the weekend. dealer couldnt find anything. Just did it again yesterday. figure eventually something will show. took it to dealer to have it on record. hope sooner than later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.