LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Cherrios everywhere!
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I got my Solo Performance Mach-X Cat Back exhaust installed. The system came with beautiful 4" chrome tips. I have removed all the chrome from my magnum so these chrome tips were bothering me. After a week I decided the chrome look had to go. I decided to try this kit from Dupli-Color "SHADOW Chrome Black-out Coating" which is designed to change chrome to a black chrome look. It is a translucent black base similar to Nightshades and then you apply the clear coat which is supposed to resist cracking and chipping. It's good to 275 degrees f so it should be ok for the tips.

I backed up the Magnum onto my ramps, then dropped the 4 rear hangers and one of the center hangers. That was enough to lower the exhaust and get the clearance I needed around the tips. I washed the tips thoroughly with mild dish detergent and water then rinsed. The started masking. You do not sand prior to applying the base coat as this is translucent and any sanding scratches would show through. I put on 3 coats of the black base, waited 20 minutes between coats. Then waited 1 1/2 hours and started the clear coats. Also applied 3 coats of the clear with 20 minutes between coats. Then waited 6 hours to re-hang the exhaust.

Here's the kit I used:

Pics added...

Here are some shots of the old and new exhaust. Glad to see this boat anchor off the car. The entire new exhaust system weighs less that the suitcase.

Here is the Solo Performance Mach-X Cat Back exhaust system with adjustable J-pipes.

Here is the exhaust with the chrome tips. Nice, but I'm not a chrome guy.

After final masking I did a last clean of the tips with ISA.

Here are the tips after the first light tack coat of the translucent black base.

Here are the tips after 2 coats... starting to look more like black chrome.

This is after the 3rd coat of the black base coat.

And here they are after 3 coats of the clear and the exhaust back in place. I really like the finish for a rattle can. A layer of dust already found a home. They look better than in these pics. They look blacker in the pics than they really are in full sunlight.

Time will tell how chip and scratch resistant this coating really is, but I love the new look! Has anyone every tried this stuff on exhaust tips? Just wondering how durable it is.

Total cost $22.00 for the kit.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Adam :beerchug:

·
I PUT ZAINO ON MY MAC & CHEESE
1,033 Posts
I agree 100% on the chrome tips. I am not a fan of them at all. My car has no chrome and I like it that way. I am just looking into buying Black anodized tips for my car..I like the square look on the back of my Charger. Nice write up and pictures looks much better.

·
I gotta 9in strike zone!!!!
1,013 Posts
looks good. I only used that product on wheels and it ended up shipping. But i hear your supposed to clear them afterwards with Wheel Clear from duplicolor.

·
Still a Toys-R-Us kid.
342 Posts
Looks great, just enough shine but not over the top.

·
PLATINUM SERIES
1,593 Posts
looks sweet, i'll be interested in how the chipping holds up

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I like.

·
Closer to 707 :)
4,668 Posts
Good write up Adam - looks nice!

·
Premium Member
10,832 Posts
Looks good bro! - I think the true test will be the road salt over the winter. I need to figure out what to use to protect the chrome finish from the salt.

·
Cherrios everywhere!
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree 100% on the chrome tips. I am not a fan of them at all. My car has no chrome and I like it that way. I am just looking into buying Black anodized tips for my car..I like the square look on the back of my Charger. Nice write up and pictures looks much better.
Lee, I was considering replacing them with black tips but since they were only a few days old I figured for $20 if the coating looked like sh$t I could always replace them.

This is somethin I may consider doin. I like the 2 coat look. I'm in the final stages of dechroming too.
I agree Frosty, I was going to stop at 2 coats, it looked the closest to real black chrome but there was a scuff on the chrome I couldn't get rid of which left a dark spot with only 2 coats. After the third coat I couldn't see the scuff showing through. If I could do it again I would only put on 2 coats of the black base.

Good write up man green beans for you
Thanks Evan!

·
Cherrios everywhere!
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.