LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· LX Guru
2,873 Posts
You can switch back and forth if you want to. I just wouldn't do it. I'd decide what I was going to do and then stick with it. If you were worried about a Synthetic's quality then you pay some place like Blackstone labs to do an oil analysis to tell you how your oil is doing after x miles. (Search the forums for blackstone and you'll find a thread or two)

The primary (good) reason people go with Synth is for the extended drain intervals that can be had with a quality synthetic oil. If you are going to change your oil at 3k no matter what then stick with a good Dino oil, a very good oil filters (like K&N for example...there are others) , and save yourself some money.

I'm using Synthetic so I can change my oil every 6k miles. The oil says it is good for 7500 miles and my filter is supposed to be good for 25k... I prefer to play it safe since filters are cheap and oil is cheap enough at 6k miles.

· AG Strek
3,086 Posts
Go to this site..

bobistheoilguy.com

read all you want and you will be educated on all types, designs etc of oil and oil products

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Husker said:
Go to this site..

bobistheoilguy.com

read all you want and you will be educated on all types, designs etc of oil and oil products
I have to second that.
You will see in those tests and forums than K&N is overpriced junk. Tests and tons of forum members seem to think Puralator/Wix product is the best.

· Builders of the 500rwhp 426's
5,337 Posts
there is no good reason to use hydrocarbon oil over synthetic......

Being in the oils business and doing the tests I've done shows that synthetic is better in every way possible over hydrocarbon...........

I also agree that Wix is the best filter I've used, even though I don't mind using Purolator or Fram.

If 3,000 miles is your gig, consider changing your filter every 3K and oil every 6K.............make sure you top off oil if you do this.

And yes, its been discussed at great lengths.

· '05 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD
1,078 Posts
the owners manual doesnt give any info on using synthetics for 6000 miles. theres just 2 schedules, and i dont qualify for the light-duty schedule, therefore, isnt going longer than 3000 miles going to hurt you if you need warranty work on the motor?

since i am following the manual, i figured i might as well use a good quality dino every 3000 miles, instead of paying the premium for synthetic on a 3000 mile schedule.

· LX Guru
2,873 Posts
Fram was one of the worst filters tested in terms of quality.

Turf: You can run synthetics longer if
A> The company you are getting synthetics from has a good warranty policy that covers failure due to the *proper* use of their oil.
B> You properly use the oil, don't drive past the milage, follow the rules, change your filters, etc etc.

There are 2 that I know of: Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Mobil 1 says to follow your factories drain interval, I believe. Amsoil says for you to follow their drain interval that they tell you and use their oil filter and you will be covered if you have engine problems.

· Premium Member
16,334 Posts
I use Mobil 1 and Mobil Filters.
I seem to get slightly gas mileage and after 20k+ of vicious driving... all is good.
Yeah, it costs a lot more this way... but I think that it is the right way.

· LX Newbie
105 Posts
i drove a ford tempo everyday for a month
without an oil pan

it used mobil 1 for some time before the pan ripped off
oil wasnt the reason the car failed to run at the 33rd day
it was the carb

it drove me 6 miles to and from work
after that i will not use anything else

i have a 99 hyndia accent with 39000 miles
that has perfect compression still
its a mobil 1 car also

· Registered
7,427 Posts
I ran into Brian Schubert, owner of BnD Automotive, at the LX Dyno Day in Akron last weekend. Brian manufactures specialty synthetic oils (specifically for the engine type and desired useage) and fuel catalysts (boosts octane and provide lubricity in the upper cylinder chamber). Lots of interesting reading on this website.

One of the Dyno'd R/T Chargers had put in his oil and his fuel catalyst and pulled 4+ HP more and 6+ Torque vs. a previous run without the stuff. Another R/T added the catalyst for the trip home (100+ miles) and averaged 2 mpg more vs. the trip to the place... and in the week since he told me his average around town has gone up at least 1.5 mpg.

I know... I know... snake oil and wooly grass. But this stuff is used by the military and NASA, and THAT has made Brian a very happy SRT8 (and other muscle cars) man.

So... check out the website. I'm going to go at least one round with his oil and a total of 190 gal of treated fuel between both cars, and see what kind of performance I get. The first test will be next weekend, when we take a road trip around WV in the H.E. The next test will be when I take the "her" 300C to Chicagoland for a family wedding and give it to Gary Kouba for a full in/out detailing.

· LX Guru
2,873 Posts
Great stuff that Amsoil.

Using their recommended 7500 mile drain interval for the 5W-20 oil you will nearly break even money-wise over dino oil.
Don't do 7500 miles without some lab analysis done. The 5w20 amsoil experiences shearing in our engines. (really tight engine) The shearing leads to a higher viscosity oil... mine came out to a 10w20 after 3k miles.

I'm about to get my analysis results back at 5k miles and I'll see if I want to switch to the 0w30 or to Mobil 1. (The biggest problem with Mobil 1 is that I can't get the right type here and definately not for a fair price...Amsoil is much cheaper through my dealer/friend who gives it to me for cost.)

· rice eatin bad azz wagon
940 Posts
I use synthetic in all my cars for last 15 years. My dealer switched me to the 6,000 miles change with no problem. Synthetics biggest advantages are it dont coke up and dont break down with heat. Ive opened up engines Ive had in my cars with over 100,000 miles that still looked brand new inside. My other cars that had gauges all showed a distinct increase in oil pressure hot or cold. My vette went from 25 idle/ 35 operating to 35 idle / 55 hot. Thats measured in traffic, on 85* day running a/c. My 308 Ferrari and another vette also showed similar improvements. All have started much easier in sub freezing temps too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.