LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im in the process of giving my preowned 06 SE a thorough detailing from head to toe, so far the entire car has been clayed, saturday morning it will get:

megs m80
megs m07
megs m26 x2

but my engine bay needs a good detailing as well, i know not to go hose crazy and start soaking things, but are there any sensors,etc i need to worry about covering up to prevent them getting wet, the valve cover in general needs a good cleaning, i was gonna spray nine the entire bay, scrub it a lil then hose it all down as fast and carefully as posible, then shine it up...does anyone see this being or causing any problems?

thanks

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
bookeem said:
im in the process of giving my preowned 06 SE a thorough detailing from head to toe, so far the entire car has been clayed, saturday morning it will get:

megs m80
megs m07
megs m26 x2

but my engine bay needs a god detailing as well, i know not to go hose crazy and start soaking things, but are there any sensors,etc i need to worry about covering up to prevent them getting wet, the valve cover in general needs a good cleaning, i was gonna spray nine the entire bay, scrub it a lil then hose it all down as fast and carfully as posible, then shine it up...does anyonesee this being or causing any problems?

thanks
Nope - I do it every other time I wash. I hit it with some Simple Green, and then gently rinse it off in a minute or two...

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks bipto, and yes socalRT, i wouldnt want to spend my saturday any other way, detailing is my hobbie/side business, and i actually love detailing cars, its so relaxing to me, and peaceful...

·
E skeud teñval tourioù gell
3,450 Posts
For the "Wet" look on your hoses and plastic, you can touch them up the day before the show with armor all wipes.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I used to detail cars for a New Car dealership here. We washed the engine, and we sprayed the engine with Armour All. Just be careful of the belts! You shouldnt have any probs. Some people tell ya to cover things, but its not necessary.

·
Inspired Performance
6,332 Posts
I usually get the motor hot, wet it down, spray it with Armour All Cleaner, let soak for a few minutes, spray off. Keep the paint around it wet, so as not to eat off any wax or cause streaks. Once rinsed, shut hood & drive around for a bit to dry. Now here is where it gets wierd: use Pledge pump, and spray down entire engine compartment. Let run to soak in. Gives it a sheen, & repels dust. Done!

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol thanks guys , im well aware of how to detail a engine bay, i have my own side business detailing, i just wanted to make sure theres no overly sensitive sensors, electrical items i needed to be careful of, the magnum is new to me thats all, so i rather be safe then sorry,i dont wet something that can lead to problems later on..

much appreciated responses , thanks..

·
Great White Shark
122 Posts
Folks who have never detailed an engine bay (like me) may be interested in hearing how it is done. I'm personally appreciative of any and all tips along those lines. :)

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
like mentioned, its better for the engine to be warm/hot
spray it down with water, pressure washer if need be..
then i take a big sponge with soap and water, loosen up as much as possible, paint brushes for tight areas,then spray the bay down with your choice of degreaser, my choice is spray nine, cuts through anything, aggitate again with paint brush for bad areas,let it soak a few minutes, hose it down, repeat if needed..

then i start the car, and let it run while i blow most the water out with a leaf blower or air compressor, once all the water is dry, shut car off,spray everything down with armor all, or your choice of protectant..mines happens to be either nxt tech protectant or hyper dressing, start the car back up,for a few minutes, close the hood, let it marinate for a half hour, open the hood up inspect, touch up an areas that may need it, wipe off any excess so it doesnt accumilate dust..

enjoy..if any one would like to see pics of my work, ask and u shall recieve..

·
DFWLX'er
143 Posts
I haven't had any issues with using a high pressure water. You just have to be careful to not irrigate the electrical components. I also use a degreaser like simple green or whatever on a warm engine that has been pre-rinsed. Then I use this: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?4618
I by it at my local autozone. It's spray can and it works on wet surfaces in my experience. You just have to let the engine run a bit with the hood down to cure it. It lasts a long time too.

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
bookeem said:
ive heard great things about CD2, never found it locally to try it though...
I too have heard others (probably here) talk about it, but have never seen it. May just have to place an order...

·
Great White Shark
122 Posts
Thanks for the tips, and thanks to bookeem for tolerating my minor thread hijack! I'm getting deeper into car care as a hobby, and the engine compartment remains the "undiscovered country" for me. :)

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no problem, hopefully i can establish the detailing reputation here like it was on my last car forum...everrryone pmed me about detailing and car care..i hope to serve this forum in the same manner..

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
yes the spot free rinse comes in handy, they have a lil wax like product mix in with the water...thats how i rinse the salt off my car in the winter, i spray it down with water, then soap, and rinse with the spot free rinse and drive off..

·
Screaming In Digital
4,692 Posts
I use Simple Green under the hood and lightly scrub down some of the stuff. Let it sit there for a few minutes and then hose it down. Then I just hit everything with the air hose. I've never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.