LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
LX Newbie
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a new rattle that seems to be coming from the front right speaker grill on the dash. I have my wife apply pressure while driving and it goes quiet. Anyone know of a way to stop the rattle for good?

Thanks!

·
LX Padiwan
514 Posts
Mine's been in the shop 2x so far for it, and it's still chirping away. Apparently there's a TSB for it that solves nothing.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Same problem. Going to the dealer again this Thursday. They also had to replace some LEDs in the center console, so they did not fit the console back the way it should be. Arghhhhh, love the service writers, but some of those techs........

·
Haulin' Around That Great Gretsch Sound
195 Posts
I have the same annoying rattle. Mine's an intermittent one that drives me crazy one day and is gone the next. I'm pretty sure it's coming from deep in the upper dash above the right side of the glove box and not from the speaker itself. Sounds like a hard wire casing vibrating against something.

·
LX Padiwan
257 Posts
drumlugr said:
I have the same annoying rattle. Mine's an intermittent one that drives me crazy one day and is gone the next. I'm pretty sure it's coming from deep in the upper dash above the right side of the glove box and not from the speaker itself. Sounds like a hard wire casing vibrating against something.
Same problem here. Usually I listen to loud music and never take care. I noticed it yesterday for the first time and tried to open and close the glove box numerous times as I drove without making any change. I was alone in the car and not able to be absolutely sure where this rattle came from. Took the car today and didn't notice that sound again. Maybe next time ? Hope not !!!:popcorn:

·
LX Padiwan
514 Posts
On a road trip 500 mile road trip, I took a piece of a Milk-Duds box lid and jammed it in the seam. Shut it right up, and the yellow tab of cardboard sticking out... classy.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am going to bugg the hell out of my dealer until they get it done. Enough of us do it, DCX might notice.

·
LX Newbie
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was thinking about stuffing something in the seam...maybe not milkduds box...but something to help silence it. also need to quell a rattle from the hatch area (seems to be the roof panel right where the door hinges down).

·
Custom Ice Cream Eater
99 Posts
McKinneyMagnum said:
Just noticed a new rattle that seems to be coming from the front right speaker grill on the dash. I have my wife apply pressure while driving and it goes quiet. Anyone know of a way to stop the rattle for good?

Thanks!
Just keep the wife in the car to apply pressure wherever you go! Lol!! Ok, I'll shut up now...:blam:

·
LX Padiwan
235 Posts
The dash rattle drives me nuts and it does seem to come from deep inside the dash. When I had it in for service they said it was the ashtray. Ummmm, no. Few (car) things are more annoying than a dash rattle.

·
Bike Wagon
340 Posts
dash rattles or creaks

I took my magnum in 3 times for the problem. No help. I finally removed the glove box and looked up there. I reached up and pulled a wiring harness away from the firewall. Bingo. Turns out the harness rubbed the firewall intermittently and caused the creak.

If the creak is near the speaker, there is a knowledge base article on installing front speakers, so I would look at that and remove the top plastic grill panel and see what is going on in there and then re-intall the panel.

·
GOOD MEAT TAKES A LONG TIME!
21,543 Posts
I took the speaker grille out and applied a little silicon caulk on the corners and re-installed. Problem solved.

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
felt works great, and ive even used carpet foam or egg crate foam in the doors for rattles in previous cars..gives a lil more sound deadening also..

·
LX Newbie
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i looked in the Knowledge Base but only found an article on installing 3.5" speakers...is this the one to follow to get the RIGHT DASH speaker grille off??

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I took the speaker grille out and applied a little silicon caulk on the corners and re-installed. Problem solved.
Dealer visit #3 did not help the case. So I am going to do your solution. Right now I have a rag I stuck in there to stop the noise.

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
after a good thourough search this morning i see this a common problem..

wel i put felt under the dash trim that covers the speakers, put felt on the plastic tabs where the clips go, then put the clips over the felt, added foam padding all under the dash, behind the glove box, between any two joints, wire harness that may wiggle and creek, or rattle against something.its come down to me thinking its the screw at the base of the dash, that the dealer removes according to the tsb, thats my next area to try and check out..

·
Bring out your dead!
1,185 Posts
felt... yea, same problem, i just installed a really loud stereo - that also works.

sucks when the lady is in the car though - she thinks im insane, just because she can't hear it does not mean it does not exist.

·
All Black Everything!!!
6,115 Posts
UnderTaker;622909 sucks when the lady is in the car though - she thinks im insane said:
lol i couldnt agree more there, as for the really loud system, even the factory system is loud enough to cover teh noise, but i like to ride in silence at times to think, and i cant with out being annoyed by the pop/squeek it makes..im gonna try removing the screw according to the tsb to see if that helps, or tighten it and add some felt to it as well..it almost seems like it can be where the wipers lay on the windsheild, or the cowl..ugh its just so hard to locate..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.