LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LX Newbie
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that my dealer basicly "blew off".

I have an R/T with the drivers info display and I am bothered by the fact that it is noticably dimmer than the lighting on the shift/foglight section. (P/R/N/D//4/3/2/1)

IS this the same for everyone? I find I have no problem reading the gear selector brightness, but have to strain to see the other during the days. (Yea, I've not got the best eyes, but SHEEZ!)

Any input/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Ray G.

·
Chasing Dreams
3,354 Posts
Make sure the thumbwheel just to the right of the headlight switch is nearly all the way up. This controls the brightness of the display. If that doesn't help, it could be that this control is bad or going bad.

·
LX Newbie
31 Posts
CarguyOR said:
I have a question that my dealer basicly "blew off".

I have an R/T with the drivers info display and I am bothered by the fact that it is noticably dimmer than the lighting on the shift/foglight section. (P/R/N/D//4/3/2/1)

IS this the same for everyone? I find I have no problem reading the gear selector brightness, but have to strain to see the other during the days. (Yea, I've not got the best eyes, but SHEEZ!)

Any input/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Ray G.
Ray G. I have the same problem. I can see the display good at night but have to strain to see in bright daylight. Unless the headlight switch is on the dimmer control has no effect.

I got no response from the dealer since other R/T's on the lot had the same problem. If you notice the display is composed of small dots, different than the other display for the transmission. It is not as bright as a regular LED display.

It is worse if you wear a light colored shirt because it is the reflected light off of the class that compounds the problem. I made a slip-in visor that cuts down on some of the glare, but it still is hard to see in bright daylight.

Since no one else seems to have mentioned this before, we may be the only one that think we have good eye sight, but don't.

05 R/T

Jim

·
LX Newbie
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um yea... I found the dimmer switch the first day... and night. ;)

Thank Jim for the input. I know I don't have the best eyes, but man I wish it was brighter... Just a minor thing I wish they'd address when I buy my next one ;) (or at least by the time I get my challanger!)

Ray.

·
LX Padiwan
282 Posts
Not to make you feel bad, but I've never had an issue seeing it.

·
LX Newbie
27 Posts
At a Meet&Greet last March in California, I asked Ralph Gilles from Chrysler who also owns a Magnum about the difficulty in reading the EVIC display and his response was "I guess we goofed on that". Will be interesting to see if the 07 Magnum EVIC display is any better.
If anyone has found a way to improve the visibility of the display I sure would appreciate it.
Don
Black Magnum R/T

·
LX Newbie
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GREAT! Thanks Don... now that's the kind of answer I was hoping to receive on the list!

I appreciate your input and you know I'll be looking at the 07s at some point to see the differences. All in all I guess it's not something that's goign to make me get rid of my 05, but nice to see if they change it.

Ray G.

·
LX Newbie
27 Posts
Dash Display

YO!....Ray G.
Re: our problem reading the EVIC display in daylight:

I was fiddling around with one of those pocket magnifiers, you know, the clear plastic ones that are the size of a business card and available in drugstores, stationary stores..etc.
I laid it against the clear plastic lens cover for the speedometer and let it rest against the speedometer lens in the EVIC area, and it magnified the EVIC characters by about 30 to 50 percent (magnified more if you pull the magnifier lens away from the speedometer). The magnifier lens fit perfectly against the speedometer lens and the top edge of the magnifier lens was at the same height as the EVIC display. The bottom edge of the lens seated against something so it looks like the magnified lens can be just dropped into place over the EVIC area.
Tomorrow, when it's daylight I will let you know if there is any improvement in reading the EVIC display. I suspect it is the thin letter size and low brightness of the EVIC characters that will not improve readability with larger character size.
Don
06 Magnum R/T

·
LX Newbie
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Don, FANTASTIC idea that I'd have never thought of! THANK YOU.

Even if it's only a small difference I bet that'd be enough help to make it worth my while.

You're right about the brightness/size issue. I hope Chry. will look into correcting that next time around.

Thanks again!
Ray

·
LX Newbie
27 Posts
Dash Display

Ray,
I tried the magnifier lens over the EVIC display in daylight and although the characters are larger, the glare off the magnifier lens still leaves the characters difficult to read.
If the EVIC characters were wider as are the transmission selector characters (i.e. PRND) as you suggested, it would probably solve our problem.
So, my next approach I guess is to try and find a technician at a Dodge dealer that is familiar with Chrysler's Starcan and Starmobile diagnostic devices that they use to diagnose, adjust the computer, change vehicle settings etc. For example, there is a Service Bulletin (Service Bulletin 08-022-05) that addresses a problem with extra characters displayed in the Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Display System in the EVIC. Maybe there is a code in the Starscan/Starmobile diagnostic tool to change the characters (width of character etc.) or input a request to Chrysler to allow the EVIC system to be "flashed" and change the EVIC characters.
Hopefully, some Chrysler or Dodge guru familiar with the diagnostic tools will know how to go about gettiing any info on how to solve our minor problem.
Don
06 Black Magnum R/T

·
LX Newbie
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, sadly my local Dodge dealer is a JOKE! At least they can fix the 'normal things' like the rear tailgate lever (electro pad) going bad but as for them even knowing much beyond that I'd be afraid.

If anyone on here has the know how (I have figured out a few members ar least are dealer serv. guys) or finds out about this I'd love to know more.

I read that once you do the "fix" to get the auto headlights (ie, dremel out the added notch) you need to have that option turned on in the cars computer at the dealer. At least my service guy knew what I was talking about when I asked him about that. (shocking tho it is!)

Ray G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.