LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought these long tubes for really cheap from some person . I saw the egr port and figured they were good for my 07 rt. I have a heads and cam package from Stu and this was all that I was missing for now. But I noticed it was a D port a little too late. Anybody have any experience with results from attaching longtube D ports on a pre eagle? Longtubes, not srt exhaust manifolds.i figure they would at least still be a huge increase over my stocks logs right? 6965S

·
Registered
549 Posts
You will be fine. Are you keeping the EGR or are you EGR delete?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Doing some research... LTH, 2005-2008. Does anyone, including OP, know what the little tube is on the KOOKS headers (passenger side, at front of motor, connected to the flange)? I'm going to guess it has something to do the the EGR system. I see so many aftermarket LTH's, square port >without< it. Does it matter if it's there or not? If I decide to do LTH's some day I may go with the D-port, just out of lack of choice on the square port style, pre-eagle.

·
Get vaccinated!
16,247 Posts
That small tube re-routes the spent exhaust gases (from #2 only) to the EGR system supply port. At one time the OEM offered an EGR delete kit.

A hundred years ago, when people believed there were gains by installing on 5.7s, people used to grind a slot from the #2 port across the face on SRT exhaust manifolds (they are not headers) to the EGR supply port. Whether it matters I suppose depends on whether local laws prohibit altering any part of the emissions system. But if you're looking to install LTHs would also be breaking those same laws - in those areas (note that there are no gains from eliminating the EGR system).

Its long been clear (plenty of threads on here showing why with evidence) that aftermarket devices that match the head's exhaust port configuration is important to producing what are relatively small gains...

Reactions: blue_devil

·
Registered
171 Posts
^^ Thanks for the great explanation and sound advice. Before climate change completely kills the V8, I just want to add a check to my automotive bucket list, I owned a V8 with headers, lol! It would be nice to drop in motor like yours and call it a day, but I don't see that happening, especially with $5 a gallon gas. I plan to design an exhaust system that complies with local laws. They sell quite a few drop-in catalytic converters. I never thought of grinding a slot on the flange that would lead to the EGR port, if the header I chose didn't have that small tube. Another reason I chose to respond to this thread specifically, I couldn't find anyone talking about that small tube. 😄 I'm actually in the process of cleaning my EGR, just to see if I can reuse it.
I watched a few YouTube videos on the EGR and they state when it's not working properly a lot of things can go wrong. My EGR has been acting up lately and it did throw a code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts