LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to change the plugs in our Magnums?And also whats the best recomendation to go with?Also is it true these hemi motors have 16 plugs?I thaught I read that and when i looked at the motor i saw 4 on each side.BUT I didn't really give it a good look either because its is freaking HOT!!!!! down here.

·
Is it hot in here or is it just me?
2,080 Posts
Yes, unfortunately it is true that there are 16 plugs for the hemi. They aren't that hard to change, but with the sheer number of plugs it's gonna take about an hour to change em all. If you do a search, there are a couple of threads with pictures that will walk you through the process.

·
LX Padiwan
235 Posts
It looks intimidating but it's pretty easy. Look in the knowledge base for the plug changing article.
Yes there are 16 plugs.
Huge debate over which plugs to use, I myself used the bosch 2 prong ones. Slight mpg improvement along with slightly better seat of the pants feel, but again, the debate of which type/brand to use rages on.

·
Is it hot in here or is it just me?
2,080 Posts
I did the same thing. I've used the Bosch 2 before so that's what I went with this time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys.I'm not going for more horsepwer.But i am getting a slight hessitation when running about 60 or faster whith the AC on.Also it seems to have a slight rough idle when setting at a light.Just a SLIGHT rough idle.maybe this is the norm with the Hemi.I don't know since this is new to me.But the car has 35,000 miles on it.

·
Speed on... Hell ain't half full
24,673 Posts
Many have reported that upgrading plugs has cured the rough idle.

·
Die hipster scum!
15,111 Posts
shane93nc said:
Yup,thats what i have read and now thats why I am asking how hard it would be to chnage them myself.
Easy. See HERE!

·
LX Oldtimer
11,692 Posts
If you have over 35,000 miles on your car, you are PAST due for new plugs. That will cure your stumble..................

Bob

·
LX Guru
4,322 Posts
bipto said:
You 5.7L guys have it easy haha, 2X plugs, but dont have to renove the intake manifold as the rest of us do

3.5L​
Always remove the ignition coil assembly by grasping
at the spark plug boot, turning the assembly 1/2 turn
and pulling straight back in a steady motion.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the intake manifold, (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/
MANIFOLDS/INTAKE MANIFOLD - REMOVAL).
3. Prior to removing the ignition coils, spray compressed
air around the coil area and spark plug.
On 3.5L engines, it is necessary to loosen the screws
by alternating back and forth. Do not lose the spacers
under the coil when loosening the screws.
4. Remove the ignitions coil.
5. Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with
a rubber or foam insert.
6. Inspect the spark plug condition.

5.7L​
Eight of the 16 spark plugs are located under an ignition coil; the other 8 are not. If spark plug being removed is
under coil, coil must be removed to gain access to spark plug. Refer to Ignition Coil Removal/Installation and
observe all CAUTIONS and WARNINGS.
Before removing or disconnecting any spark plug cables, note their original position. Remove cables one-at-a-time.
To prevent ignition crossfire, spark plug cables​
MUST be placed in cable tray (routing loom) into their original position.
Refer to Spark Plug Cable Removal for a graphic.
Before installing spark plug cables to either the spark plugs or coils, apply dielectric grease to inside of boots.
1. Remove necessary air filter tubing at throttle body.
2. Prior to removing ignition coil (if coil removal is necessary), spray compressed air around coil base at cylinder
head cover.
3. Prior to removing spark plug, spray compressed air into cylinder head opening. This will help prevent foreign
material from entering combustion chamber.
4. Remove spark plug from cylinder head using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert.
5. Inspect spark plug condition.

2.7L​
Always remove the ignition coil assembly by grasping
at the spark plug boot, turning the assembly 1/2 turn
and pulling straight back in a steady motion.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the intake manifold, (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/
MANIFOLDS/INTAKE MANIFOLD - REMOVAL).
3. Prior to removing the ignition coils, spray compressed
air around the coil area and spark plug.
On 3.5L engines, it is necessary to loosen the screws
by alternating back and forth. Do not lose the spacers
under the coil when loosening the screws.
4. Remove the ignitions coil.
5. Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with
a rubber or foam insert.
6. Inspect the spark plug condition.

·
Aged to Perfection, Old Guys Rule!
922 Posts
Semi-Hemi said:
You 5.7L guys have it easy haha, 2X plugs, but dont have to renove the intake manifold as the rest of us do.
The Bad.........16 plugs.

The Good...........They sit right on top of the heads lookin' right at you. Super easy to get to. Allow an hour, gap all of your plugs before you get started, and do one plug at a time, replacing the plug wires after each plug. I recommend platinum plugs and using anti-seize on the threads because otherwise the platinum plugs will seize up in the aluminum head if you leave them in until they wear out (100,000 miles).

I still have scars on my knuckles from some of the plugs I've changed on small block chevys. I've had to change them from under the car, take the steering knuckle off, and loosen motor mounts and jack the engine up to reach plugs on the SBC.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
After having changed plugs on a Chevy Lumina (you have to unbolt 2 engine mounts and tilt the engine forward to get to the back 3 sparks), Magnum is as easy as changing sparks in a Jeep. Plenty of room, no tricky connection. Yeah, it does take forever (16 sparks you know), but you get the rhythm and by the end you turn pro :) DO NOT FORGET THE DIALECTRIC GREASE. Also, get some q-tips and clean out the factory $hit.
Take little extra care, give her the OEM plugs, and she will treat you good :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
apollo said:
After having changed plugs on a Chevy Lumina (you have to unbolt 2 engine mounts and tilt the engine forward to get to the back 3 sparks), Magnum is as easy as changing sparks in a Jeep. Plenty of room, no tricky connection. Yeah, it does take forever (16 sparks you know), but you get the rhythm and by the end you turn pro :) DO NOT FORGET THE DIALECTRIC GREASE. Also, get some q-tips and clean out the factory $hit.
Take little extra care, give her the OEM plugs, and she will treat you good :)
What si that grease you are talking about for?

·
Cunning Stunt
552 Posts
The dielectric grease performs three functions:
1. it lubricates the boot as you slide it on to the plug
2. it keeps moisture out
3. it does not conduct electricity so it prevents grounding of the spark

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yep. Graphite and grease em up, they like it that way :)

·
LX Newbie
7 Posts
I changed my plugs last weekend. It was really easy. Look in the "Knowledge Base" under engine, trans, exhaust for a detailed pictorial on how to do it. It really helped me. You will need a 5/8 spark plug socket with a universal swivel and a 10mm socket for the coil mounting bolts. You will also need a torque wrench and a long and short extension. It took me about 2 hours. That was with a few breaks in between. I saved over $200.00 from what the dealer wanted to charge me. They quoted $365 and that was for OEM Champions. Less than $20.00 parts and the rest labor. I know that they have to make a profit, but WTF, that's highway robery in my opinion. I put in NGK V Power, cost $49.89 from www.sparkplugs.com and I had to buy the torque wrench and spark plug socket. It's so easy, anybody can do it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Oh yeah, I got to second you on that universal joint. That is about 20 minutes saved right there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.