LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for any of you guys that have done this. I have the check engine light on for both cats. I had a leak in both my flex pipes that I was holding out on replacing until I did my engine mounts. When I did do my mounts and complete front suspension I then replaced the flex pipes. But the code still existed. I did the paint thinner deal with a half tank of gas for 200 miles and all seamed good. But the light came back on again and I thought I would replace both post o2 sensors. The light is still on. The car drives fine but I can tell under wide open throttle there is a issue. The car pulls decent then feels like it pulls back in and out throughout the rpm range. No misfiring, but it clearly doesn't accelerate smoothly. So I am contemplating either pulling down my exhaust and hollowing out the cats and getting a tune to bypass the post o2's, or just replace the cats and play it again. Is there any ill effect with removing the cats on these cars? like the mds feature, gas mileage etc. The only modification done to my hemi is the cold air intake, everything else is stock.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without cats, it will be much louder, it will stink, and if you have emissions with visual checks you will fail.
Yes I do understand all of that. We no longer have emission checks, but I won't be removing it, just hollowing it out, so visually it is still there if someone wants to jack up my lowered car to see it. I'm more concerned with any ramifications with deleting it in regards to my mds or poor gas mileage.

· GrampaGreg, BBQ master planner
2,949 Posts
Mine were gutted with a rebar and a hammer 6 years ago. Never had any problems and it DOESN't smell any different. Not sure why folks say it smells bad or different. oh i had my mechanic and tuner do the rebar crime, not sure if he had to do something to make it work .

· Super Moderator
2017 Charger Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
5,462 Posts
The Beast doesn't have cats and it stinks to high heavens lol.

They have to park it nose in for inspections so the techs in the shop don't start yelling about it...again.

· GrampaGreg, BBQ master planner
2,949 Posts
Hmmmmm, strange that y'all have a bad smell and mine doesn't.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would just need the post o2's bypassed with the hp tuners. I can easily punch the cats in my shop. Would I have any issues making adjustments afterwards with my hand held Predator?

· Lost cause
4,422 Posts
Hmmmmm, strange that y'all have a bad smell and mine doesn't.
Difference of opinion, I suppose? Maybe some of us are more recently familiar with driving non-catted vehicles regularly and are used to the smell? It doesn't bother me. On the other hand, vehicles accelerating on the freeway with cats in place, smell awful to me, like ammonia/burnt hair, reminds me of an old lady's hair salon where they're all getting perms. Used to hate going with my Pawpaw to pick up Grammaw from the salon because of the smell. Now some good old hydrocarbons from a pre-emissions car, that smell doesn't bother me at all. There's definitely a smell, though, and it will vary greatly depending on how the vehicle is tuned.

Richard

· Registered
2016 R/T Shaker Plus 2007 Charger R/t
13 Posts
Mine is tuned, cat delete pipes, EGR deleted and removed, rear O2 sensors turned off and MSD turned off. On my old 2007 Charger heap the cat delete made a difference in performance. It may be wishful thinging but it sure seems like it doesn't smell as bad since the EGR removal. No CEL's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts