LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I am become Death, destroyer of tires
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 challenger, manual, not push button. It has the slot to stick your key fob in and turn it.

The fob has been very weak for a while, not unlocking very reliably.

I took it to batteries plus, they tested it, and said I need a new one, it was bad. I declined it at the time because they wanted almost $200 and several days to get me a new one and reprogram it.

However I just went to start the car, and it would not start. The starter wouldn’t engage, the fuel pump didn’t engage, the engine items such as throttlebody and manifold did not go through their self test cycles. I got almost nothing from turning the key. I did get an intermittent weird flashing of several lights, the ones that usually turn on when you start the car.

I put the battery on a trickle charge, and the battery is fully charged. The car battery that is. I know I have an issue with my alternator, I have a new one on the way, but it is still mostly charging the battery, and I don’t think that a bad alternator would cause a non start issue such as this.

could the bad key fob be causing this? Could the signal or circuit board be too weak or damaged in the key fob so that the ignition is not getting the right signal?

·
Lost cause
4,367 Posts
You're sure the battery is fully charged? If you remove it from the car and take it to the auto parts store and have it load tested, that would be helpful info. It does need to be charged for the load test to be run. If the battery has been discharged several times due to alternator issues, the battery may no longer be any good, and crater under the load needed to start the car.

Fob battery shouldn't keep it from starting. I'm not very familiar with the newer-style like your 2010, but the older style key simply has a "chip" in it for the antitheft system, and the battery in the remote is simply for the lock/unlock/trunk release functions. For example, a completely dead, or even removed, battery in my 2006 remote/key will still start the car, just won't unlock/lock the car.

Richard

·
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have a trickle charger attached the battery, and the charger says “fully charged”

·
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering if the chip or other part of the fob is bad? Tried putting a new battery in the fob (well, a known good battery) and it didn’t help.

·
Registered
2013 Chrysler 300 SRT8
14 Posts
but it is still mostly charging the battery
What does that mean? If the alternator is on it's way out, it will definitely have an impact on whether the car starts or not. My guess is your trickle charger doesn't work correctly. Even if the alternator is completely caput, your car should start on battery alone and then run until the charge on the battery is gone with usage during driving (won't take long at all).

could the bad key fob be causing this?
My opinion would be no. If the FOB stops working, that doesn't have any bearing on whether the car runs or not since it's not push-button.

·
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you. I’m suspecting the battery of the car may in fact be caput

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well I have a trickle charger attached the battery, and the charger says “fully charged”
Trickle charger is looking for voltage. Your battery may have 12+volts but no amps.
I've gone to the auto parts store to have my battery tested and it passes.
If I open the door to turn on the dome light for 1 minute it'll fail after that. There's more to a battery than you think.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Check for an open recall on your SCRIM (I think that is what it is called). There was a recall on these for the key not being held tight in the opening, and in mine, it fixed an issue like what you described. Mine would intermittently have the symptoms you mentioned, then would start - after an hour, a day, a few days - it was random.

·
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New alternator and battery fixed it

Reactions: someotherguy

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've had the same experience. My trickle charger info says battery must be fully charged before hooking it up.
Mine will not recharge a low or discharged battery, only used to maintain the charge.
Glad you figured it out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts