LX Forums Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
I need a throttle stop.
5,927 Posts
This is why it is so difficult to apply a blanket recommendation. Ask some people, they will say 4 years. Some say 5. Some say 7. The truth is, there are some tires out there that are 3 years old with dry rot
It's more of the case of how these were stored probably outside in an old shipping container or in a freezing cold warehouse. There are very specific ranges of temperature nothing below 10 degrees or there abouts for long periods of time as I recall.

They were ordered late the previous season and I got them in mid April the following year. Not every ultra high performance tire is going to be like this but anyone who has driven F1 supercars in cold weather can attest they get really hard and really slippery in a hurry.

Of course none of this applies to you guys in the south but I bet a tire that sits in a shipping container for a summer season 100+ degrees every day will see some residual damage.

FWIW the tires were Advan AD07's

·
Master ASE Certified Chrysler Technician
4,290 Posts
I posted on this about a year ago, it still needs to be brought up regularly, not really considered a repost.
Should be moved and stickied in the tires and wheel section.

One particular tire brand I always see dry rotting the most only after a few years... Michelens.

·
Premium Member
12,391 Posts
One particular tire brand I always see dry rotting the most only after a few years... Michelens.
Yep, and lots of old-timers still put the Michelin man on a pedestal.:roll:
You will also notice accelerated corrosion on the bead seating area of alloy wheels when Michelin tires are fitted compared to other brands.

Without a doubt, the most overpriced tires on the market.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have been aware of this for some time. Have not bought a tire older than a year in a very long time.

I do believe the solvents in the tires can evaporate and the tire looses its elasticity, which will generate more heat.

We have a set of PS2s that we ran hard and maybe 5/32 tread left. At this level, however, the tires should actually handle better. But they became nearly like marbles (well alittle exageration) after 3 years of agressive driving.

I for one think there should be a 6-7 year cap, and a written guideline for storage. Storing tires and exposed to UV is a disaster waiting to happen.

mike
dms

·
No longer sporting dual R/T's!
9,301 Posts
I vote for sunlight as being one of the bigger contenders where I live.

My spare rides on the back, covered in aluminium and plastic, is a Michelin (OE) and looks just like a new tire pretty much. Not a rot line in sight.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Old tires can kill just like old timers that should not be driving in the first place!!

Reactions: Blokhead

·
The Black Pearl
1,773 Posts

·
06 Magnum R/T
3,931 Posts
Ever notice how 4 year old tires slip when it's wet, and don't stop as well - regardless of miles?

Reactions: doublechaz

·
Registered
131 Posts
One thing that has been overlooked is, with any tire, the compound gets harder day after day....Therefore a 3,4,or even a 5 year old tire will hurt somebody if they think they can haul the mail thru the same corner at the same speed as to when the tire was new...I live in the Southwest, and worked at a dealership. We use to sell tires, and its amazing how uneducated people are when it comes to proper tire care. They think as long as its round,black and holds air, then it must be good. Tires out here dry out long before they actually wear out physically. Im pretty particular when it comes to tires and maintenance.

·
09 Charger SXT
907 Posts
As for tire care, does armorall have the same effect on tires as it does on a dash? Makes it shiny but ends up drying it out? If so, what should one use to clean/shine their tires?

·
Whippled Coyote
6,906 Posts
There's a very good reason why motor homes have tire covers for when they're sitting in the driveway for longer periods of time .... to keep the Sun from drying out and dry-rotting the tires !

And Ford and Chrysler Corp now advise to replace tires once they get to be 7 yrs old, regardless of thread left.

Oh, and as far as the aforementioned Michelin tires ... in my ~8 yrs as a Service Advisor, I've seen a LOT of 3-yr old Michelins that were dry-rotted to the point of recommending replacement .... I never consider Michelin for one of my cars, usually due to their cost though ... definitely the most overpriced tires on the market ...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It's so rainy up here in the NW my tires never dry out! :racing:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dont use any tire product. I like the clean natural rubber look, not the shiny look. That goes for the interior as well. Just the usual damp cloth or some windex once in a while.

·
SNOOGANS!
470 Posts
My Grandad passed away in 1999 and hadn't driven for at least two years before that. 2 years ago my Grandma finally passed away and I was given their 1994 Chevy Lumina 3.4 Euro with 31,000 km's on it. The thing had been sitting on flat tires for at least 6-7 years. After working on it for a week getting it back up to snuf, my Aunt decides that she wants it and because she's more entitled to it than me. Convinient that after all the work is done to get it road worthy, she know wants it.

Anyway, like I said the tires had been flat for YEARS. All they do when they pick it up is fill them with my compressor and go about their merry way. A week later they're still running on those tires but no matter how much I told them to get new ones, they said they were just fine. About a month later I get a call that my Aunt was on the highway and the drivers fron tire blew. She wasn't hurt or anything but it was determined that the age and condition of the tires caused the blowout. They replaced the front tires and to this day are still using the originals on the rear. I'm waiting for another phone call.

Sorry for the rant.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts