LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not trying to go through the issues of removing the MDS Internals and plan on just keeping it off with a tune (Diablo). What cams would fit and work with the MDS internals still intact. What gains would/should I be seeing aswell?

· stay modded, my friend...
1,636 Posts
I’m not trying to go through the issues of removing the MDS Internals and plan on just keeping it off with a tune (Diablo). What cams would fit and work with the MDS internals still intact. What gains would/should I be seeing aswell?
I've been very happy with my Super Spartan from Inertia: https://shop.inertiamotorsports.com/Spartan-Plus-camshaft-NON-VVT-SP1.htm
I did not dyno before or after, but the power difference was night and day. That and the shorties woke it up considerably, and can be tuned to run MDS if you choose. The cam now has 150k on it (motor has 192k) and still runs very strong.

Reactions: Mongo300cSRTdesign

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been very happy with my Super Spartan from Inertia: https://shop.inertiamotorsports.com/Spartan-Plus-camshaft-NON-VVT-SP1.htm
I did not dyno before or after, but the power difference was night and day. That and the shorties woke it up considerably, and can be tuned to run MDS if you choose. The cam now has 150k on it (motor has 192k) and still runs very strong.
I had my eyes on inertia motorsports. Along with the cam what else did you need? Push Rods, Springs?

· Red trucker
1,361 Posts
Cam of choice
16 6.1 exhaust springs
Full set of I&E 6.1 pushrods
Timing chain and tensioner are always a good idea
Oil pump never hurts
Latest p/n non-MDS lifters unless you intend to keep it (head gaskets & head bolts if you're swapping lifters, you have to pull the heads)
This is the old school upgrade recipe and will cover most aftermarket cams except for some of the wilder ones. If you search cam upgrade or cam swap on the site you'll find the same thing (might be on posts going all the way back to 2005).

· stay modded, my friend...
1,636 Posts
Cam of choice
16 6.1 exhaust springs
Full set of I&E 6.1 pushrods
Timing chain and tensioner are always a good idea
Oil pump never hurts
Latest p/n non-MDS lifters unless you intend to keep it (head gaskets & head bolts if you're swapping lifters, you have to pull the heads)
This is the old school upgrade recipe and will cover most aftermarket cams except for some of the wilder ones. If you search cam upgrade or cam swap on the site you'll find the same thing (might be on posts going all the way back to 2005).
HemiLonestar told the story well. Mine only had 42k when I did the cam so did 6.1 tensioner but no chain & gears, skipped oil pump for same reason. I threw a 6.1 dampener pulley(and belt) while I had things apart because it is a slight underdrive so gives about 5 hp back.
I kept my lifters but pulled heads anyway. I cannot imagine swapping the exhaust manifolds out from underneath, its tight under there. Since you are doing 6.1 shorties anyway, I highly recommend you get some head bolts and gaskets and pull the heads.

BTW, there is a great step by step how to the cam install here: Cam/Head Install Library thread
I printed it, stuck it in a 3 ring binder, and followed the procedure.

Reactions: HemiLonestar
1 - 6 of 6 Posts