LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I plan on msd deleting my 2018 5.7 and I am considering which would be a better cam for some additional power; the HRT stage 2 from Comp cams or go with a SRT 6.4 non mds

Any comments with direct experience with either cam swap into a 5.7 would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmm, I've always been curious about the NSR cam from MMX perfromance. It comes in either MDS or non-MDS so you'd get your choice. They even have a no tune required cam which is an advertised 30 hp at the wheels with no tune, and much more with a tune and no other mods. No springs and no phaser limiters required.
Are you looking to get a choppy idle or a refined, more mild package?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noise and chop is all meaningless to me, what I'm after is an increase of usable power over stock without changing a torque converter. If I am going through all the work to replace a cam, I'm going to make it worth it. The main reason is to get rid of MDS, again if I'm going inside the engine I'm not going to bother with a little limp stick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm doing it because Ive seen enough of these systems on hemis fail, I hate how my car drives/sounds in 4 cyl mode, and I paid for 8 cylinders I wanna use em all the time without having to put the car into sport mode. On top of that, as I said earlier I may as well get a decent cam while I am at it.

Also, do you have anything to add in terms of cam experience, or the MDS delete kits?

·
Red trucker
1,279 Posts
Don't get snippy, I wanted to know why you were doing it before saying anything else, since every other retard with one of these cars cruises the internet and decides they need to do something based on hearsay; news flash #1, MDS has nothing to do with the cam/lifter failures or it would always be cylinders 1, 4, 6 & 7 and only in automatic cars. News flash #2, it happens to manual trans vehicles too. It was trash run of lifters which had mostly been worked out by the time your car was built. Now that's out of the way.....
1. Do you have unlocked PCM yet? Because there is absolutely no point to any of this if you don't because at bare minimum you have to be able to turn MDS off in the tune. You could technically run the 6.4 cam without a tune but you'd be leaving alot on the table vs a custom tune (same for the no tune cam). Caveat with the MMX no tune cam, you have to leave your MDS stuff in place, just turn off in the tune. If you want to actually delete MDS physically, you need to order that one:
*We do have a version of this camshaft that is a No Tune Required Cam for customers that would like to delete the MDS system. This is available by special request.
2. So far as any aftermarket cam once your PCM is unlocked, sky is the limit. Biggest question here is how big is your wallet and who is doing the work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PCM unlock regardless.
I'm leaning toward a Comp cam HRT Stage 2 so far
MDS delete,
Already have a set of JBAs with off road mids sitting BNIB
At the moment I'm trying to find a new or good used positive displacement supercharger kit like whipples new 3.0
My next set of days off I'm picking up a long block 5.7 that was from a late model truck running off a friend. That will get torn down hot tanked maged and rebuilt with forged rotating assembly.

I'll be building it.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I guess I would call CompCams and tell them what I don't want in a cam. No high stall required, should narrow it.

As far as MDS being a scapegoat, I agree. I'm running 7psi on MDS lifters and cam, tune disabled yes but they are OK.
Just do not mix MDS cams & lifters. The cam lobe ramp profiles are not the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to a local shop that's built and dyno'd a ton of hemis. They said the Comp HRT 2 would work fine with a stock converter and driveability. Just gotta upgrade springs and recommend pushrod upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts