LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 300c that I absolutely love but, I want more power. I'm not sure about an exact power figure but in her current form (93 octane diablosport tune) she's fun but isn't quite to the "scary" level that I was hoping for when buying my first v8 car. I was wondering what steps should I take next to get to the "scary" level when I nail it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I don't know the condition, but you could/should probably just sell it and upgrade to something else IMO.

Whatever money you invest, which would take a lot, would never be recovered. So if you went down the road of modding it, plan on keeping it for a long time & being happy with whatever end goal you want.

·
stay modded, my friend...
1,547 Posts
I've got a 2011 300c that I absolutely love but, I want more power. I'm not sure about an exact power figure but in her current form (93 octane diablosport tune) she's fun but isn't quite to the "scary" level that I was hoping for when buying my first v8 car. I was wondering what steps should I take next to get to the "scary" level when I nail it.
Cam and headers will wake up a 5.7 considerably, not sure if it would be considered scary, but it will pull a lot stronger.

How many miles on the engine? Have you checked compression? That could give you an idea if boost is an option or what would be needed to get it ready.

Since 2011 is already VVT, a 392 could go in without too much hassle, Do you live in a highly regulated state, or a place where you are free to mod your car?

As Snobrdrdan mentioned, be prepared to drop some money if you start modding it. If you get to "scary" power levels, you will need a differential, driveshaft, possibly brake conversion, etc. I am in the process of putting way more money into my car than its worth, but that's because I need a wagon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cam and headers will wake up a 5.7 considerably, not sure if it would be considered scary, but it will pull a lot stronger.

How many miles on the engine? Have you checked compression? That could give you an idea if boost is an option or what would be needed to get it ready.

Since 2011 is already VVT, a 392 could go in without too much hassle, Do you live in a highly regulated state, or a place where you are free to mod your car?
Do you have a recommended cam+header setup?

Engine has 96.6k miles, havent checked compression but she doesn't feel like she's down any power based off of 0-60 & 1/4 mile times.

I'm in Texas, what exactly would be involved in doing a 392? Am I buying a crate engine and swapping or building the 5.7 into a 392?

·
1,547 Posts
I have been very happy with my Inertia Super Spartan cam - the VVT equivalent is Spartan Eagle Plus: https://shop.inertiamotorsports.com/Camshafts_c2.htm?page=2
Inertia has been a vendor here for a long time - I think they are near Houston.
My JBA shorty headers have worked well - all the stock 5.7 ex manifolds are very restrictive. Legal in CA so should be legal on planet Pluto.

If you go beyond cam and headers you will need a differential.

if your budget can accommodate a supercharger, that would give you a big jump. If you went that route, cam should be one that is designed for forced induction.

there are some good threads on here about 392 swapping. Look in the “restomods” forum. I was looking into it but it’s more complicated on my Gen1 (and a little risky for CA sm*g) On your Gen 2, the computer can be programmed to run 392, and it bolts in with some changes on accessory mounting I believe. I’d look for a low mileage used one from a wreck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Simple Answer...
Find a reputable shop and start talking to them. Asking random people on the internet will get you hundreds of different answers from people you have no idea are even qualified to answer them.
A shop will work with you and help you plan a path to the level of scary you want. They can help get you the right parts and ensure it's installed correctly.

Best of luck!

·
1,547 Posts
Simple Answer...
Find a reputable shop and start talking to them. Asking random people on the internet will get you hundreds of different answers from people you have no idea are even qualified to answer them.
A shop will work with you and help you plan a path to the level of scary you want. They can help get you the right parts and ensure it's installed correctly.

Best of luck!
Yes, if you don't know much about cars, and don't care to learn, definitely take it to a reputable shop and have them do it all. If you enjoy doing your own work and enjoy learning, this forum is a great place to exchange ideas with others enthusiastic about modding their cars. That is why all of us "random people " are here! But, as alluded to above, if you don't have a solid mechanical background, it can be difficult to discern the quality of the information.

Reactions: Halfgnomen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, if you don't know much about cars, and don't care to learn, definitely take it to a reputable shop and have them do it all. If you enjoy doing your own work and enjoy learning, this forum is a great place to exchange ideas with others enthusiastic about modding their cars. That is why all of us "random people " are here! But, as alluded to above, if you don't have a solid mechanical background, it can be difficult to discern the quality of the information.
I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, I do all of my own maintenance and I can do the simpler things (brakes, exhaust, catch can install etc) but I am nervous about tearing apart the front end to do a cam swap in my driveway.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, I do all of my own maintenance and I can do the simpler things (brakes, exhaust, catch can install etc) but I am nervous about tearing apart the front end to do a cam swap in my driveway.
Pay a reputable shop to do it. Honestly.

Yes, it will cost a little more, but if something goes wrong, it's on them....not you

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thats the plan regardless of what I end up doing. I just want to get the parts together so the car is down for a minimal amount of time.
If there is a failure of a part the shop supplies it’s on them.. if there is a failure of a part you supply to the shop it’s on you and you will pay the labor to fix or replace the failed part. don’t be short sighted trying to save time or a few bucks .

·
1,547 Posts
Yeah, If you are not confident doing it, take it to a good shop. Best to use their recommended parts so it’s ALL on them if things don’t go as planned.
It just never occurred to me to go to a shop since I never have. What are you feeling as far as build 5.7 vs swap, vs boost?
You said this was your first V8 - what did you drive before?

Reactions: Halfgnomen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are you feeling as far as build 5.7 vs swap, vs boost?
You said this was your first V8 - what did you drive before?
I'm torn between boost and a simple build (cam, CAI, exhaust, tune).
I've had a number of vehicles over the years, the last car I owned was a 2008 Toyota Avalon that some dingus plowed into the side of.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
I'm torn between boost and a simple build (cam, CAI, exhaust, tune).
I've had a number of vehicles over the years, the last car I owned was a 2008 Toyota Avalon that some dingus plowed into the side of.
Speaking from experience again, keep it as simple as you can. More power means more upgrades and more money. What you THOUGHT would be a $5-10k build will very, very quickly turn into a $20-$30k build. Trust me, from there it's more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speaking from experience again, keep it as simple as you can. More power means more upgrades and more money. What you THOUGHT would be a $5-10k build will very, very quickly turn into a $20-$30k build. Trust me, from there it's more trouble than it's worth.
The plan is to build in stages until something in the driveline breaks tbh... I dont plan on going past 500hp at the crank. I just want a comfy cruise missile.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
The plan is to build in stages until something in the driveline breaks tbh... I dont plan on going past 500hp at the crank. I just want a comfy cruise missile.
You won't need much driveline work for 500, that Nag is stronger than people realize. A valve body and tune would do you fine on that. Find an LSD rear end and you'll be amazed at what you have already.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts