LX Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SXT Owner
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our streets here in Winnipeg are incredibly pathetic. As I was crossing an interesection today, I bottomed out the car. It almost sounded like the car itself hit the road, but I *think* it just bottomed out. Is there anything I should be looking for in terms of damage etc. or is this a *harmless thing?

*Perhaps I worry far too much...

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
Do you still have a factory bottom? Meaning you don't have long-tube headers or exhaust work...If not I "think" you should be fine..Just to make sure just lay under the car alittle if you can to take a good look at everything...

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
Look for leaking fluids. Not much else you can do but slow down at the intersections with the big dips.

·
Faster than the speed of dark!
326 Posts
Where did you bottom out? Geographicly, that is.

I don't miss Winnipeg streets.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Winnipeg streets are dangerous...I use to roll a lowered car there - and you had to get pretty creative on manuvering between all the pot holes!

·
SXT Owner
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
snow_mag said:
Where did you bottom out? Geographicly, that is.

I don't miss Winnipeg streets.
Right at Dakota where the first intersection to get into St. Vital mall is. It looked harmless enough, but there were 2 bumps I guess. So after you hit the first one, you're bouncing still for the second one. I can't believe how bad this city is for this type of thing. Good thing they're slowly replacing most of my front-end under warranty.

·
She's done heck darnit!
3,384 Posts
Look at the tunnel reinforcement brace - it's the cross brace in about the middle of the car, and is the lowest point between the wheels (I think). Check for scrapes.

·
Not your normal family car!
3,620 Posts
Gwhiz2k said:
Right at Dakota where the first intersection to get into St. Vital mall is. It looked harmless enough, but there were 2 bumps I guess. So after you hit the first one, you're bouncing still for the second one. I can't believe how bad this city is for this type of thing. Good thing they're slowly replacing most of my front-end under warranty.
i was over that the other day and it was rough but i was not going that fast maybe 40 kms. i have yet to bottom out my car anywhere in WPG besides the odd speed bump.

·
Faster than the speed of dark!
326 Posts
Those double bumps can be a real killer. I used to go to St. Vital mall a lot. I wouldn't have expected to bottom out there.

The streets go bad so fast there. Bishop Grandin was so fine when it first opened and now it's a rollercoaster. The turn into route 90 by Whyteridge has dips so bad you have to grip the wheel so you don't veer off course.

One of my favourites was the depression on Waverly Northbound between Bison and Bishop. I used to open my mouth so my teeth wouldn't accidentally chip each other.

·
Mr. White Chocolate P. Rock
1,458 Posts
My GF pulled off the plastic engine undercover on her 1st drive within the 1st week of me having the Magnum, dealer replaced under warranty.

·
345 Go!
1,160 Posts
Just curious -but are most of these Magnums SXT, RT or SRT8?

I have a RT - haven't had any issues bottoming out... and I'm thinking on getting SRT8 take off suspension installed lowering the car 1-1.5 inches...

Thanks

·
No longer sporting dual R/T's!
9,301 Posts
While I haven't really banged hard, I've scraped pretty good a few times, and after replacing the the body brace with 1/4" flat stock I haven't had anything I'd say "bad" sounding underneath. But if you haven't dragged anything, it's not not low enough :)

Mike

·
Does this smell like chloroform to you?
4,328 Posts
You should be OK. The car may have scraped a bit but if you didn't leave any parts behind consider it a lesson learned.

Embarrassing moment confession here, I was on an unfamiliar side street and looking for a specific address. At each crossroad there was a large dip but no stop sign on the road I'm travelling. I slowed appropriately for each dip until I saw a bunch of guys walking on the side of the road.

I was so busy watching them to see their reaction to a Mag going by that I hit the next dip at about 40mph. The car porpoised and actually got some air and the dudes walking just busted out laughing. Yeah, they were checking out the Mag until the NUT behind the wheel completely blew the scene! <sigh>

Maybe I should start listening to those nagging little voices I hear.

·
LX Newbie
63 Posts
Ours is really low and we hit the bottom quite often:friday: well not really only in parking lots and turnbuckles on the freeway. I made a billet tunnel brace and that helped the clearance some. The stock brace got torn to shreds. there is a peice of aluminum webing under the trany that has been hit too and the Cats hang pretty low. I would check those three things.

wayne

·
get busy living, or....
289 Posts
I was lucky untill 2 weeks ago, when i was ran into a 7in. curb! The car did fine "in the air" but i blew up a Conti "imagion that" then the jack collapsed when i was changing the tire....o well, what are you gonna do.
got some sweet Perellis out of it!
PS i was going on vacation, to my bosses cabin, never made it ....and that sucks!

·
GHTOSLD: short for Ghetto-Sled
177 Posts
havent had any trouble with my RT yet, though i am putting the Sportline drop kit on in the near future...... will really have to watch myself then

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
wbornio said:
Just curious -but are most of these Magnums SXT, RT or SRT8?

I have a RT - haven't had any issues bottoming out... and I'm thinking on getting SRT8 take off suspension installed lowering the car 1-1.5 inches...

Thanks
If you want to lower the car 1-1.5", then the Mopar coilsprings are your option. The SRT suspension lowers the car about 1/2".

·
Eat My Dust
629 Posts
I've bottomed out my R/T multiple times with no visible damage since all have been at slow speed. Mostly when I've had some rather hefty passengers in the back seat. At one speed bump I had to stop and get them to vacate as there was no way Maggie was going over without losing some serious metal. :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.